Overwatch 2 Reveal Event Recap

I do wish they could’ve done hero releases like they do in Valorant: it’s not always a new hero for every role – they even made a post once about not releasing a new Duelist for a while (about a year, then).

True. Though, I have had some critical discussions on here; of course, that doesn’t outweigh the reactionary nature.

Although, if I had to choose between stream chat or forums for a riveting discussion, the choice would be the later, almost every time (~85-90%).

i cant wait for all the “great” gameplay changes f2p will bring and all the content i wont have access to!!!

/s (shouldnt be necessary really…but w/e)

3 Likes

Just to be clear, we’re not getting new heroes at a faster pace. Saying every 18 weeks is extremely misleading. That means 3 heroes a year. It’s honestly like they did nothing for 3 years and then restarted development December 2021.

3 Likes

The roadmap graphic says the next hero after the launch is tank, though?

Oh did they say it’ll be tank/dps/support, tank, support? I mean, still, disappointing that we’ll only be getting a ninth support around mid-april :confused:

Skins for genji to give and sell… coff… coff…

I still have many questions regarding Cross-Progression.
It is listed in the graphic but we dont know anything about it.
Like, what will and what will not transfer and merge?
Should we be using our credits before OW2 arrives?

The only thing they showed that could be a negative is the mention of battle passes and a store, which are not inherent negatives, only if they implement them in a bad way (which is likely considering Diablo.)

But other than that everything sounded promising.

the new tank will launch in the next beta, not in October

I know JQ is the next tank for the next beta. I’m talking post-Oct 4.

(My issue is not with sound people, artists, graphical teams, etc. You guys are amazing)
I’m very disappointed with OW2. I really like the new sounds, the character designs, the artwork, the visuals. I like how faster it is to get from one game to the next. I really like this idea of character customization with trinkets and whatnot. The idea of lore being expanded with PVE next year is great. The roadmap of new heroes/maps on a regular basis is something to look forward to.

The worst, game-ruining change however is the move to F2P. Whether you want to admit it or not, it is going to change the game’s atmosphere for the worst. Yes, there will be more players, larger regular updates, and likely more streamers, but at a huge cost. The game will be flooded with children, hackers, and smurfs. I’ve never come across a hacker before, but they’re going to be way more common. Smurfs have always been an issue, but now there’s nothing stopping someone from creating a new account at any time.
I’ve always loved the loot system of Overwatch. It rewards active play, so you have a chance to earn any new item just by playing the game. There are no duplicates unless you already have everything of the same tier. Duplicates give coins you can use to buy specific rare items you may not have unlocked by chance yet.
F2P Is going to trash all of that. Now you are gonna be forced to shell out $10-$15 every 9 weeks for, I’m sure, a CHANCE at getting cool new stuff. What about people who have hundreds of lot boxes stored? Are they just SOL when 10/4 rolls around, or is there going to be a system that opens all of them before they just get yeeted into the void?

Push is absolutely not an instant hit. 5cp would’ve been better. People hate it, specially colliseo. Just watch the OWL playoffs where everyone avoided the map. Once you fall behind it is impossible to recover. You’d need to win 4+ team fights in a row, which just doesn’t happen in OW2. The fact that one of the new maps is gonna be a push map is also disappointing.
Advertising that the game will have 3 new heroes, 6 new maps by 10/4 is not a good thing. We’ve already got 2 of the heroes (technically 3 with Orisa), and 4 of the maps. If OW1 development would have continued we’d have had 6+ new heroes by that time.

…I’m still gonna play OW2 but I’m very cross about it. >>
And the next beta is an absolute joke. Previous access does not roll over?! Oh but don’t worry, you can BUY access for $40 and get in right away -
-
Otherwise you can wait until 7/14 where you’ll get a measily 4 days playtime.

1 Like

So overwatch 2 doesn’t release until 2023.

1 Like

where. is. ow1. experi. men. tal. it. has. been. a . week.

Another question I have (which they may simply not know yet) is, if the merger goes through, will any paid element of the OW2 battle pass be included in the Microsoft Game Pass?

unlikely, outside of a potential perk
more realistically you can get a meh skin or gun charm, if previous experience with the perks and games that actually used it goes

What is going to happen to all of our coins? Will they still be usable to purchase anything?

1 Like

does any one know if ur console pogress will be transported to console?

Early access is on Oct 4th so, the PVP is out then but the PVE is going to take more time for full public access. So technically, it comes out this year, October 4th just not the PVE yet

The PVP is just an update to OW1 that itself can’t justify the existence of Overwatch 2 and is now also free to play. The PVE campaign was the only thing about Overwatch 2 that can be called Overwatch 2. Because it isn’t coming out until 2023 Overwatch 2 has essentially been delayed until then.

1 Like

To play Overwatch 2 you need to verify a legitimate phone number to help prevent smurfing and cheating and very likely a few children (children playing and enjoying a game isn’t particularly an issue but sure)

There wont be duplicates in the battle pass, that’s not really how they work. Battle passes reward active play and are arguably better at getting the players to return to the game to carry on with their progression and claim their exclusive seasonal rewards. You don’t HAVE to spend any money to play the game or progress in the battle pass

I personally, not a huge fan of push but going back to OW1 after OW2 beta, i’d rather play push than 2cp. This is opinion of course but, 2CP is the worst mode out of the two here

You also don’t have to pay for beta access lol. You get drops overtime, it comes down to luck it seems. Take your pick on whether you’d rather pay for access and some bonuses upon launch or just wait. Completely down to your personal choice

If that’s how you want to see it, by all means.
There is some pretty big changes and I’m just grateful to be getting some content after a long wait even though I am bummed I cant play the PVE until next year. :man_shrugging: