Overwatch 2... LMAO

So read today somewhere that the focus is now on ‘Overwatch 2’ and Diablo 4. Would link that, but you know, they don’t allow linking other sites most of the time…

Apparently, for Overwatch 2, they plan the types of game modes that all the other FPS games have been doing for years while trying to salvage the failure of esports investments (if they do that at all). Not expecting anything at all worth paying attention too based on the article.

As for Diablo 4, I would expect it to be just a continuation of the story with minimal effort in making the game any level of better than the current.

The push is to release more stuff that makes more money faster. To pull that off, clearly quality will have to drop (always does with that sort of mindset in any business). The teams will have to re-use the currently completed engines and abilities (Overwatch, SC/WC3, Diablo). The ‘improvements’ will be limited to trying to do exactly what the other shops have done (regarding FPS), and increasing in-game purchases to suck every dime from the players while delivering poor games. Since loot boxes will most likely be illegal by the time the games arrive they will have to consider monthly subscriptions and special ‘cosmetic’ items that can be purchased out right - and revolving around virtual ‘toys’ and cosmetic items (unless they move to ‘pay to level’… shakes head).

What we are watching is the death of good games. While many will happily throw away their earnings ( or their parents earnings) on virtual items, pay subscriptions for the same game with a different skin, or buy in game virtual items to enhance their visuals in game I think they fail to realize that most of their player base can’t afford to do that (especially with multiple games) or their parents will get sick of throwing cash and seeing nothing come back in return.

I would expect the games will quickly get boring, and without a strong ‘virtual cosmetic’ purchasing culture to drive people back in - the player base will be low as well.

Do you really want to play the same games, re-skinned, with minor bug fixes? Do you REALLY want to pay for skins individually (at probably $5 - $25 each)? They will not be able to innovate, since the focus is fast cash, so I’m expecting the games to have zero interesting or fun aspects over what is currently being played.

With WOW falling apart, WarCraft collecting dust until they re-skin it and tweak it with parts of the SC engine tweaked for the WC3 rule sets, and OLD Wow subscriptions (ya, I’m skipping that) as their next big things - I’m not at all impressed with anything released or announced.

This was the last shop I was buying games from, and well, I guess the good times are over. At least I’ll save money NOT buying gaming machines now.

6 Likes

I read the entire thing in the voice of Francis, that YouTube guy.

1 Like

Shrug. I don’t think I’d bother with an Overwatch 2 after seeing 1. But I’ll keep playing 1 as a nice fun game to waste some time with.

At first i thought it was dumb to try Overwatch 2, when i thought Overwatch was meant to just keep on growing.

However… Overwatch right now is so screwed up that i’d rather see a sequel with some major changes.

I love the idea, but OW1 is so full of horrible crap and a ridiculously idiotic SR system that should be totally replaced.

So, if that means doing it in OW2… GREAT!

But i will NOT TOUCH OW2 if they don’t address the horrible comp system.

7 Likes

They won’t, because the powers that be at Blizzard have no idea how to balance an FPS. They do know how to blow off the community and bring in elements that ruin the game entirely (Brigitte being a prime example).

9 Likes

OW 2 will be a PVE spinoff

and besides people bought quake 1 2 3 and some even 4

people bought battlefield 1942 vietnam 3 4 1 5

people bought cs (ok that one was free first) cs1.6 cs:source cs:go

people bought ut ut2003 ut2004

10 Likes

It’s not confirmed that it’s actually a 2nd game. It’s not unlikely that it’s either an DLC/expansion they simply refer to as OW 2 as a working title that simply will be added to the current game or a very big update they refer to as OW 2 as in 2.0.

3 Likes

If you hate everything so much, why are you still here?

5 Likes

it will probably be Overwatch: Battle Royale Edition

OW 2 will probably use the heroes and lore but will have an entirely different play style (it won’t be a team based shooter). If players are invested in the heroes, they will buy OW 2.

I’d bet we will get the campaign and PVE that players have wanted for 3 years.

3 Likes

I find that hard to believe. My money is on a MOBA style game but still fps. That’s what I thought OW was supposed to be when I first heard of it

Lol. You must be new to video games. They have been making sequels for as long as they have been making games. No, overwatch 2 won’t be “the death of good games.” Rofl.

I mean, you realize Diablo is going on four now right? Four. I wonder if you had been around when Diablo was out, and you had made a post “Diablo 2??? That is going to be the death of good games. Why buy a reskinned version of this game blah blah blah” (Diablo 2 was one of the greatest games of all time)

Its different, because i guess a lot of people payed for lootboxes and for alt account so OW community most likely wont take OW 2 very kindly. And there is difference with DIablo, because its not purely multiplayer game and you dont need community playing the game to have good experience with it.

I’m not saying the game won’t be an FPS, but why would OW 2 be competitive game since the OWL is based around OW. They would essentially be creating their own competition, which doesn’t make sense.

I feel like it makes more sense to explore the lore with existing heroes with an immersive campaign and PVE game. You’re not competing with yourself, but you can use all the same IP that people love.

It was a C+ trash loot game. Starcraft was way better

1 Like

yea i OW 2 is MP and supposed to take the place of this one, I will pass lol it makes zero damn sense to ever do that. If they do, then you know it’s just a cash cow.

Which many have been saying OW2 because they know it gets outraged/curious clicks immediately. I wondered how many people would fall for the clickbait of that title.

The article I read mentioned it isn’t directly being called OW2, but it’s just the next sort of extension they’re taking with the game… which seems to be more geared on ideas of PvE. It mentioned a playstyle that was more akin to Left 4 Dead PvE.

Seriously, people are going to outrage over something that’s been asked for and you could see a very clear direction of the game expanding?

No one played through the Archives events thinking, “These games have kind of a L4D feel to them,”?

Either way, I’m still waiting for my Overwatch Puzzle Brawlers for my phone/tablet. Come on Blizz, Capcom already fecesed the bed with their reboot of Puzzle Fighters and abandoned it.

Nah, it’ll obviously be a bullet-hell shmup, developed by Cave! (would love to see the community reaction if “OW2” turned out to be any of those options. And I would buy day one, obviously!)

I mean. People can say what they want of, “Eww blizz has gone to the phone market with OW”

However, if it is a game that could easily be on a phone over and played with random bursts of time to kill and not… sit down and turn on the power switch, time to get invested, I say good on them.

I really don’t think it’s gonna be an entirely new game at all, it’s more or less going to be the PVE kinda chapter by chapter story mode we’ve wanted from a long time. It will most likely be DLC based which will keep getting additions regularly and will run parallel with the main Multiplayer game.
Probably something like this,

Overwatch : The Saga (Early-Mid 2019 for 59.99 USD.)

• Chapter 1 : Pre-Omnic Crysis, The foundation years.
    Comes with the game when it gets released initially. A good PVE Story mode with probably 20-30 levels, boss fights and around 5-6 different kinda maps. Traditional Single Player like Campaign.
    Rewards Bonus Skins, Voice Lines or extra for use to players who own Overwatch : Multiplayer after beating the 1st Chapter.

• 3-6 Months later, Chapter 2 : The Omnic Crysis.
    Same as above with extras for players who own both games to use in multiplayer.

• 3-6 Months later, Chapter 3 : The Null Sector Uprising.
    and on and on and on.

This will probably keep going for the next 2 years until the game’s story reaches the current time line of the Multiplayer where Overwatch was recalled and then…

Then in 2022 or something Blizzard will probably do an entirely new game built on a new engine called, Overwatch : Future Warfare where the game will pick up from the current Multiplayer time line with new characters and all new stuff.

Spider-Man 2018 did a similar thing as well, launched the game with a short story but added more story via DLCs later on. Batman did the same and now I think Blizzard might do something similar as well.
It will sell, that’s for sure and would be the optimal move right now.

1 Like