Overwatch 2 has encountered an unexpected error

For some reason my overwatch has been crashing mid game and always no matter what shows a popup saying: The application has encountered an error. From Blizzard Error.
Now this only happened AFTER I upgraded my CPU, but even with the old CPU back in, I still have this problem. This could also be a perfect timing moment that the crash was always gonna happen, even after the new CPU change. And its always random so im not too sure why this is happening to me.

Specs:
(New)Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU
(Old) Ryzen 5 7600X CPU
Gigabyte 650 Gaming X AX Motherboard
x2 G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5 Ram (32GB Total)
Radeon RX 7900 XT GPU
Corsair RMx (2021) RM850 PSU

Hello OzZy,

Please post your MSInfo, DxDiag and, if present, your most recent Overwatch Error Log to pastebin.com and post the links here so we can look further into this for you.

Obtaining System Files: Blizzard Support - Obtaining System Files

Obtaining Game Error Logs: Blizzard Support - Obtaining Game Error Logs

1 Like

MSInfo: MSInfo - Pastebin.com
DxDiag & Overwatch Error Logs: DxDiag & Overwatch Error Logs - Pastebin.com

I think the overwatch Error Log is what you want to look at first, its been making an error log for every crash and I never noticed.

Thank you OzZy!

I do see you have a RX 7900 and it is updated to the latest drivers. There are known instability issues with the latest AMD drivers. Disabling Radeon Boost in the AMD Radeon Settings has helped players. Here is a link to AMD’s guide to where this setting is: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh3-033

If that doesn’t work or you already have Radeon Boost disabled, try rolling back your drivers to a previous version.

1 Like

Ok so which one do you prefer I download, when downloading an older driver of Radeon Drivers:
23.9.2 (9/19/23)
23.9.1 (9/6/23)
23.8.2 (8/31/23)

Hi OzZy,

AMD just released the 23.10.1 driver today which, according to the patch notes, is fixing various crashes, flickering and black screens.

There are two important notes in the patch that I will put here:

• Factory Reset has been temporarily disabled as a precautionary measure while we address isolated installation issues that have been reported during PC upgrades. Users may use AMD Cleanup Utility as a temporary option.
  • For users who previously installed an AMD Software insider preview driver, running AMD Cleanup Utility is recommended before installing this driver.

I’d try installing this newer driver as the feedback so far looks good regarding the issues plaguing the 23.9.2 driver. Hopefully this helps with your issues. Let me know!

1 Like

There’s been a TON of reported crashing since this update. Just today alone, I’ve reinstalled windows 10 fresh, redownloaded Overwatch 2, immediately crashed and couldn’t even load into a game. Now I’m doing a clean install of Windows 11. Do you at least know that the dev’s are aware of this and looking to fix the issue? I’ve never done SO MUCH work just to make a game work / usable.

1 Like

Okay, there’s def something wrong with this game. Windows 11 just got done installing, no other apps or programs were downloaded with it, no start up items were enabled and the moment it opens, its an immediate force close. 2 other friends having the same issue. whats going on??

Hi Insomnia,

I’m sorry you are having issues as well. The Devs rarely post on the forums, but they do check them for feedback.

If you can post your MSInfo, DxDiag and if available, your most recent Overwatch Error Log to pastebin.com and post the links here, we’ll look into this for you to see if we can figure out what’s causing the crashes.

Obtaining System Files: Blizzard Support - Obtaining System Files

Obtaining Game Error Logs: Blizzard Support - Obtaining Game Error Logs

Hello, thank you for the response! Here’s what you are looking for…

MSInfo

DxDiag

Overwatch Error Report - DO NOT have one, but used latest TXT file like mentioned

Thank you for looking into this. I just want to play. :frowning: Had zero issues before this season update and now its a nightmare. If you need anything else please let me know.

its really weird, game is crashing right to desktop with ZERO pop up with error code. I was just allowed to play 4-5 games and crashed. I’m getting warnings of “leaver penalty”, so if this keeps happening the only option is to uninstall the game and not play anymore because im certainly not gonna keep getting suspended for something i have zero control over. I don’t have ANY other problems or even hiccups on any of the other 7-8 games I play so process of elimination seems to point at OW?

Seems like Calystol is correct. I’ve down graded the Radeon drivers back to the last one released in August, and works perfectly fine now. Havnt tried the new update tho, because I didn’t even know a new one came out. So just either go back to an old drive or try this new update.

I have a NVIDIA 4090 card. I’ve tried the last 3 drivers that have come out, plus when installing Windows 11 it put me on a older driver: 528.02 and i thought id try that in hopes of SOMETHING working. All drivers were uninstalled with DDU / Display Driver uninstaller in safe mode. Never have had issues with OW EVER for as long as I’ve played it but uninstalled it and played Diablo 4 for 3 months or so and came back and redownloaded it and its been a nightmare ever since.

Did you have ur wifi/Ethernet off after doing the DDU? Because that would mean windows installed a horrible gpu driver and screw that download up. If so, then perhaps you have a razor product connected to your computer and have a .DLL file screwing with overwatch. I think it was called like razorchrom something with .DLL afterwards. Just look that up on YouTube or just wait for the mvp tech supp to check ur problem

Yeah Ethernet was def pulled out. I’ve watched so many videos on what to do I’m ready to just give up. :disappointed:

Thank you Insomnia.

I know you mentioned re-installing Windows but you haven’t update it and that will definitely make Overwatch crash when it is that many builds behind. Your Nvidia driver is out of date as well.

Update Windows with the latest updates as well as your graphics driver. You can update your graphics driver via Windows but I prefer downloading the driver from Nvidia directly.

Once everything is updated, try Overwatch again and if it crashes, send me the updated DxDiag, MsInfo and the Overwatch Error Log if it is present. Till we can get this resolved, I recommend not playing in Unranked or Competitive so you can avoid being penalized for your crashes.

My Windows is fully updated. I go to “Windows update” and it gives me no more updates. Graphic driver is fully updated to the most recent. Was download from Nvidia, booted into safe mode. DDU was used in safemode for the removal and then installed a clean driver. Downloaded Gigabytes motherboard utility software, updated all drivers. No more updates on drivers or OS, Graphics driver is as current as it gets. After i posted my Msinfo / Dxdiag i took care of all this to see if i could get it to fix. Immediately tried and crashed as soon as i got into Shooting Range. Crashed right to desktop with zero pop up / Blizzard error code. Game acts as i ALT + F4’d it. Ill try again later and I’m sure I’ll have another crash and Ill get the same files…

Hi Insomnia,

I’m glad to hear everything is updated now but sorry to hear it is still giving you grief. Please do keep us updated and upload those new files when you get a chance. I’m curious to see if there are any changes. I know this is super frustrating for you and we’ll try to get this figured out.

if i gave you the stuff i need to show you will you look at it cause ive went down to old drivers and updated to the new one and i still get crashes

Hi Timmy,

I see you posted in another thread that you have rolled back your drivers and so far, it has worked well. If you begin to have issues, let us know!