Overwatch 2 feels like a patch to Overwatch 1

Nope. It’s also a problem and a step back for many tank and DPS heroes too. The beta can’t be released as it is on current beta. I can only imagine the horror of having a onetrick tank picking a hero that won’t work on a map and if a support or dps hero don’t work around that tank. Some tanks don’t even work, period for all I know.

it’s gonna be an insta-stomp. Having 5 V 5 in a RQ restrictions is going to be a big issues in Competitive, unless the scoreboard results are somehow taken into account when it comes to losing SR (if there’s still an SR system to begin with).

I’ve played many tanks on the beta and for instance Zarya needs a full rework or an additional ability to compete against Orisa (if you don’t use your two bubbles on yourself most of the time, you’re dead or feeding like a Hog) but I’m not gonna go full review in here 'cause there are so many things to fix.

Stating that OW2 in its current state is playable when easily 80% more reworking in terms of heroes, maps and game modes is still neded would be very counterproductive. PVP is far from being ready, we need more beta testing and I hope the update to PVP 2.0 is not scheduled this year.

Next beta should be revolving around a mock Competitive mode to see how it plays out.

Tank seemed mostly fine, except for Roadhog.

Although SleepDart and AntiHeal Grenade are probably gonna need to get looked at. I found myself mostly just playing Zarya because she could shrug off AntiHeals.

But given how harsh they were on CC from McCree, Mei, Sombra, Junkrat, and Brig. It would be really strange if they just turned a blind eye on the hard-CC from Ana.

Try to play Zarya against an Orisa.

Edit : Orisa has too much in her kit compared to other tanks. She either needs a nerf or other tanks need serious buffs.

I did. It usually seemed like I did pretty well on Zarya.

By using all bubbles on yourself, I presume ?

If that’s the case, then that’s a Tank balance vs other Tanks issue. Which is a lot more of a solvable problem than “Tanks are just generally not fun to play.”

Yeah usually, but also frontlining like I was a Rein.

If you can do anything with 4sec of offensive push in OW2, I would really begin to wonder.

I don’t know… The 5 V 5 deathmatchy oriented game doesn’t feel right with the OW1 PVP game modes either. Having a payload / robot to push in the middle of messy and fast paced fight seem off.

I think OW2 should need new games modes without payload to match the DM feeling. Capture the flag seems more like a PVP mode that is in line with 5 V 5, just like KOTH currently is (KOTH works pretty well in 5 V 5).

I would attribute a portion of the more chaotic aspects to this being a glorified PTR with no Ranked, and unoptimized matchmaking.

People just aren’t going to play as seriously yet.

The bubble doesn’t last long with that much damage and I think I’m a good Zarya player. I still managed to win games with Zarya but she’s a tank that was conceived to work together with another tank. Her kit lacks an ability to knock enemies back (like Orisa’s javelin).

Tanks being unique and having specific kits doesn’t sit well with PVP’s need direction.

So they just end up homogenizing it a bit, or doing some tank-vs-tank balancing. That’s really not a difficult problem to solve.

The “How do you make Supports more fun” that’s gonna be the real balance headache.

Especially after PVE starts draining away the more passive healer playerbase.

Which brings me back to thinking that PVP 2.0 is far from being ready. There’s a lot to do.

Except for Zen, I managed to have fun but my problem is not really with specific role categories. In my opinion, all roles suffer from the 5 V 5 setup in current state.

Testing 6 V 6 with current balance changes should be at least be given a try.

At this point, I don’t think this is exclusive to supports. A lot of players, no matter the role are headed to playing PVE only. As far as I’m concerned, even though 5 V 5 is fun now and then, I don’t see myself committing long hours to a DM type of game. What I long for is strategical gameplay.

The only thing that could make PVP 2.0 sustainable in the long run (for me) is having many updates very fast and a new hero and new map every 2-3 months tops just like other deathmatchy games (that I play) do.

It’s never going to be perfect. And yeah there is a lot to go for Supports. Particularly, how they rework Ana is going to be critical.

Well that’s the thing, perhaps there just aren’t enough of players like you interested in a defense-biased MOBA/FPS hybrid, that’s lopsided on the MOBA side.

People aren’t looking for “League of Legends with Guns” or “Battleborn 2.0”. And what the overwhelming amount of players are looking for is somewhere between Apex Legends and Paladins.

What’s “sustainable” is for a business to build a game for the types of players they can attract. As opposed to building a game for a playerbase they don’t have.

Additionally, a lot of these more “MOBA Heavy” players are probably going to be pulled into PVE. Especially given it’s skill-trees and builds. So it makes sense for PVP to be more of an appeal to “FPS Heavy” players.

That’s the part that baffles me honestly, they waited 2+ years to start releasing content again, and instead of a huge lump update, they released very little, should have released a bunch at once instead of OW2 being the beginning of updates again.

1 Like

I will never understand how the original Overwatch playerbase would wish Overwatch to become something else. I guess they’re not the same people. What is clear to me is that I knew what I had purchased when I got my copy of Overwatch. If I wanted the game to be something else, I would have simply stopped playing OW.

I’m not sure 5 V 5 will manage to attract new players. OG Overwatch players won’t come back for a DM type of game and half of the current playerbase doesn’t want 5 V 5 either so I don’t know…

We’ll see what they have in mind for the business model but it’s pretty worrisome. PVE had better be excellent.

It’s not even about being a “MOBA Heavy” player… Overwatch was never a Moba actually… It’s a mix of many playstyles, the goal being synergizing with other heroes and finding strategies to winning as a team (while not sharing the same gameplay). I don’t see any resemblance between LoL and Overwatch.

The worst part is that PVP 2.0 wants to compete with other faster paced PVP games (that are Battle Royals) but it will never reach that amount of quality… Might as well remain in a field they’re good at.

I really don’t think OW2 will appeal to a new community 'cause the game is too close to OW1. They simply removed a big portion of the required teamplay so again, what’s the point ?

That’s the thing. Overwatch 2 is a lot closer to FPS-to-MOBA ratio of Overwatch 2016-2017.
And that the game launched as an Offense Biased, FPS Biased game.

And it was pretty much only until after Brig that the game became Defense biased, and MOBA biased.

I’m using MOBA and FPS as euphamisms for a focus on

MOBA

• Buffs / Debuffs / Status effects
  • Barriers
  • Healing / AntiHealing
  • Easily-aimed damage
  • Stuns and various crowd control

FPS

• Aimed damage
  • Positioning
  • Movement

For instance, Valorant, Apex Legends, Paladins, and BattleBorn would all be considered FPS/MOBA hybrids.

I don’t recall it being that way as 6 V 6 and 5 V 5 changes literally everything in terms of synergy. Plus, 2016 Overwatch didn’t hold back when it came to creating over-the-top heroes and abilities. That’s what people loved about the game. The perfect balance obsession is what created most issues that led to OW1 being controversial in terms of gameplay decisions.

Brigitte was the result of people getting tired of specific metas. She would have never existed if the playerbase wouldn’t have been so vocal aganst Dive (which personally helped become a better support player at that time but well…).

Well the other catch was even without Brig, something like GOATs and DoubleBarrier was inevitable.

If Brig stopped existing in Overwatch 1, it would still be a defense biased game.

Overwatch also falls into that hybrid category too. There are a lot of First person shooters that don’t revolve around aiming, positioning and movement only and that had extras to spice up the gameplay but that doesn’t make them MOBA games.

To me, Overwatch is an FPS period, no matter the extras (buffs, debuffs etc…). It’s not a TPS either, even though some heroes (like Brigitte) changes POV (while holding shield) so the way I see it and the way the game is decribed in the gaming industry, is simply an FPS game (no matter if not all heroes actually “shoot with a gun”).

You seem to be taking two different positions simultaneously.