Overwatch 2 Explained: Battle Pass, Shop, Hero Unlocks, and more

Think that before you have to farm level 25 to play comp, so to avoid Smurf is way better so they point here is always complaint, Really guys ?

1 Like

Okay you legitimately made me laugh out loud good job.

In this case they can smurf right away, it seems “needing to have all heroes unlocked” for comp isn’t there.

If it was, then I would be more excited.

1 Like

Are you telling me that I need to work in your game? Do you want money?! Okay, but after the first season your plan will fail. You are burying the game even before release.

1 Like

After reading and reacting to everything revealed so far, I think that these changes are going to be great for this game. It’s just really unfortunate to see so many people complain about the stupidest ****. What they are doing with characters is healthy and just. For those who think that 2 weeks isn’t enough time to grind a character out may be right, it all does depend on what the XP does look like and how leveling up feels. The idea however isn’t bad, and those who still think so have obviously never played any other game than Overwatch. While I do think that not being able to get enough currency to afford future battle passes from current ones is unfortunate, Overwatch 2 isn’t the first game to do this. Apex Legends has done this from the very beginning and no one seems to have a problem with that. People just seem to forget that when a game as popular as this becomes free to play, or any game, there still needs to be some form of revenue. While you aren’t forced to spend any money AT ALL, that is if you play the game frequently and can get the characters, which won’t be obtained easily if you play a couple hours a week. 10$ every few months doesn’t seems to greedy to me. Jeez like come on everyone this is the future of gaming, most games have resorted to this format, just adapt already F2P isn’t going anywhere and neither are 10$ Battle passes. Just enjoy the fact that the game that was going to be 60$ is free. Some people will never be happy. -A Beta Junker Queen Main

3 Likes

After reading and reacting to everything revealed so far, I think that these changes are going to be great for this game. It’s just really unfortunate to see so many people complain about the stupidest ****. What they are doing with characters is healthy and just. For those who think that 2 weeks isn’t enough time to grind a character out may be right, it all does depend on what the XP does look like and how leveling up feels.

The idea however isn’t bad, and those who still think so have obviously never played any other game than Overwatch. While I do think that not being able to get enough currency to afford future battle passes from current ones is unfortunate, Overwatch 2 isn’t the first game to do this. Apex Legends has done this from the very beginning and no one seems to have a problem with that. People just seem to forget that when a game as popular as this becomes free to play, or any game, there still needs to be some form of revenue.

While you aren’t forced to spend any money AT ALL, that is if you play the game frequently and can get the characters, which won’t be obtained easily if you play a couple hours a week. 10$ every few months doesn’t seems to greedy to me. Jeez like come on everyone this is the future of gaming, most games have resorted to this format, just adapt already F2P isn’t going anywhere and neither are 10$ Battle passes. Just enjoy the fact that the game that was going to be 60$ is free.

Some people will never be happy. -A Beta Junker Queen Main

I fixed it for you because no one wants to read giant blocks of text with no paragraphs.

13 Likes

Yeah, they are pushing way too hard and asking way too much money & time for the most basic things. The frustrating part is that this seems to confirm that the battle passes are FOMO, and that alone is an unappealing aspect when the weekly challenge models often force players to play in ways that the player doesn’t find to be fun.

If someone hates playing a Support for instance, and several of the challenges require them to queue that way, it will either be an even slower or more miserable experience that won’t even let you earn enough coins to get the premium pass (you’ll earn 540 coins after completing all the challenges after 11 weeks).

And I get it. They need to lock things behind a grind if they want to do this monetization model, so people have to pay for it. But is it too much to ask to make those new heroes free to all players after the season concludes?

No thanks.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the premium pass has 80 tiers but includes the 20 tiers of the free pass (which is why you got 80 tiers total, 60 of those are added with the preium pass), and the extra 1200 you pay is for a 20 tier boost

Well I’m glad you read it just fine.

Forgive me for not using paragraphs is this thread about the Overwatch 2 Battle Pass.

I Really Appreciate It.

3 Likes

What the heck are Souvenirs as a virtual item? If it’s not a weapon charm, player icon, or title - what the hell does this do in game?

Could you play competitive if you don’t have every hero unlocked?

2 Likes

They are like “emotes” where a hero holds an item in the air, and you can customise what the item is.
There were a few shown during the June event, Junkrat with a “GG” sign, Hammond with a salt shaker… etc.

1 Like

For people worrying about new players not having access to characters. Explain the disadvantages here? No New players are going to Comp straight away, right? They are playing Quick Play at most to learn the game and try it out.

If the challenges are as easy as Kiriko’s are after Season 1, then they will get them while they learn the game easy peezy.

4 Likes

I still am cautious and have some concerns, still not going to be okay with the philosophy change on how heroes are obtained. Should have kept that promise and kept them free of playwalls/timegates/payment.

Props to the art team though either way, this :poop: genuinely looks sick. The art team always outdoes themselves. Thank you OW art team!

3 Likes

9 weeks does not equal 3 months…

2 Likes

Honestly, I agree. We as veterans take it for granted because we’re familiar with the current 34 heroes, but for brand new players, they will basically have 36 free new heroes to start with. And Blizz has confirmed that you’ll still be able to unlock new heroes even after the season ends, so nobody will truly miss out on any new hero.

2 Likes

Long time player here. My question about this 20% EXP boost, that’s included with the BP. Will that 20% EXP boost also stack with the grouped 20% EXP boost? Is the group boosted EXP even included in OW2? Thanks :slight_smile: I have been looking forward to OW2 since playing the Beta in 2019 at Blizzcon. I haven’t lost faith in the game and am completely ready for this to take off! Oh… and another question several of my friends want answered… What Arcade modes are available?

2 Likes

The only good part I see is being able to get OW2 coins free but even that is going to take 5 months for a single battlepass (assuming the price even stays the same).

1 Like

Wording seems a little off on this FAQ question:

No extra ‘Have’ in the title and using ‘you’ and ‘they’ to refer to the same person in the same sentence?

If I do not have yet have a new hero, are there ways I can try them out?

There are many places where you can play using new heroes that they have not yet unlocked. For example, all heroes are playable automatically in the Practice Range, Custom Games, No Limits, Mystery Heroes, Mystery Deathmatch, and select other game modes, as well as some special event game modes.

Maybe it should read more like this?

If I do not yet have a new hero, are there ways I can try them out?

There are many places where you can play using new heroes that you have not yet unlocked. For example, all heroes are playable automatically in the Practice Range, Custom Games, No Limits, Mystery Heroes, Mystery Deathmatch, and select other game modes, as well as some special event game modes.

1 Like

Yeah I was told all heroes would be locked except for Soldier 76, that maps would be part of the Battle Pass, that the new hero would be at the very end of the Free pass and that the only way to get the Mythic Skin was to give Blizzard $45.

Don’t tell me the forums were wrong :o

3 Likes