Overwatch 2 Explained: Battle Pass, Shop, Hero Unlocks, and more

Will 6v6 mode, Total mayhem and no limits be available in arcade or in custom games ?

1 Like

I find it amusing that the image is a pile of gold after all the concerns about monetary practices XD

10 Likes

Disapointed by the support lock with battle pass, I thought they could do like Valve with Dota 2 …

Locking gameplay behind a paywall is pay-to-win no matter how much you try to spin it. You guys now have a financial incentive that will color the messaging of your releases.

This focus also means that when a new hero is introduced (beginning with Kiriko), we will delay introducing them into Competitive modes for a few weeks.

Corporate translation: We won’t try too hard to balance our characters before releasing them because it is in our financial interest for characters to come out overpowered, so people buy our battle pass.

In Season One, everyone who logs in to play will receive Junker Queen and Sojourn automatically, whether they’re new players or returning.

Corporate translation: We know that our support players have the least amount of heroes to select from so we made sure that the new OW2 support character is the one we aren’t giving away for free so that more support players will buy our battle pass.

5 Likes

Hero locking in comp is not new. It’s been done in OW1. Anyone who has played Competitive knows that it’s actually expected for this hero to be locked for a set period of time at the beginning of a Competitive season.

1 Like

Is there really no premium currency in the battle pass tiers? If you can earn 60 coins a week and it runs for 9 weeks you can potentially earn 540 coins a season. So a little over $5 worth for being dedicated to the game. It would be a nice bonus for returning players to maybe get 500 coins added so we have a chance at getting the premium battle pass for free. Well, the first one at least…

1 Like

That’s what it looks like. Hopefully, they can change this.

This bit is the best, I know if for investers, but they are covering their behind:

Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements: Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all information, including forward-looking information, are current as of September 15, 2022 only. Forward-looking statements are not facts and involve a number of risks and uncertainties and forward-looking statements believed to be true when made may ultimately prove to be incorrect. Blizzard and Activision Blizzard undertake no duty to update or revise any forward-looking information contained herein. For more detailed information, please refer to Activision Blizzard’s 2021 Form 10-K and other reports and filings with the SEC.

2 Likes

I think its more the combo of putting a hero behind either a paywall or playwall and also blocking you from playing comp if you dont own that hero (if this is actually going to be a thing) or else you still lock a hero behind a pay/playwall in a game where swapping is a core mechanic, what if Kiriko is a mandatory hero in comp but you cant access her?

1 Like

So… can we go back and earn rewards in previous seasons battle passes or are we just screwed out of those rewards if we don’t unlock them during the season?

They explain that you do not need to unlock the hero in order to use it on their website.

1 Like

but even after the 2 weeks its locked for you in QP, unranked and comp if you dont own the champ, that is the main issue for some

1 Like

Looks like you’ll be out of luck for cosmetics and the prestige titles, but not the heroes or maps. There will be an alternate way to unlock heroes if you don’t hit level 55 in the battle pass, apparently, which wasn’t really touched on in the article.

Think the lockout time correlates to how deep you can get into the BP by the time that time is over. Could be well past or just under it. Not sure what the XP gains are in the BP.

well dailies can add up to 9k points per day for up to 63k per week, weeklies up to 55k I think, so in 2 weeks that is 236k or enough for 23.5 tiers meaning you got 31.5 tiers left in 2 weeks by playtime or 314k. but my guess is that people who dont have 20+ hours per week to play will take 3-4 weeks minimum to get a new hero

1 Like

That’s a lot of numbers and a lot of time. Are these numbers based off of screenshots or what? That’d kind of suck to have to spend 3 weeks to a month to grind out a new hero.

from articles and pictures

And considering 1 of the weekly challenges is to win 20 unranked/comp missions that will take a lot of time as 1 unranked match is like 10 minutes minimum + queue times, now add a 50% Winrate and you need to play 40 of those matches, good luck with that as casual player

9 Likes

Seems about right, based on how long it took me to get to level 50 in Halo Infinite’s battlepass.

Well with that one image, you can complete objective #3 with objectives 1 and 2. The Arcade would be trickier.

The premium pass does include a permanent current season XP boost but a premium pass also unlocks the hero.

Seems it favors premium players a lot and want to make it feel like you “earned” the hero by unlocking it at that specific tier level. Why not make it easier to earn, why even lock it, etc.

Personally, I’d rather have it just be unlocked immediately for everyone (with the lockout in respective game modes ofc).

1 Like

If it was easier to earn (BP10, let’s say), there would be no point in the premium pass. Like, the answer to all of that is :dollar: .

2 Likes