Overwatch 2 developer blog: Matchmaker and competitive deep dive, part 1

It’s good they’re looking at tank skill specifically.
Matches with one sided tank play aren’t fun. Unless you’re the good tank lol

5 Likes

It’s good to see some communication on their end.

5 Likes

Ah, my bad. I misread what they were saying.

I hope part 2 goes into the thought processes (assuming there were any) that went into superficially lowering everybody’s rank at the start of each season

3 Likes

No worries. There’s a lot to unpack in that post.

1 Like

Proof the matchmaking is utter trash. Straight from the horses mouth. They are Literally admitting to purposely lop-siding our matches and creating 1 sided stomps

‘For example, we might match a highly rated tank against a comparably lower rated tank, so even if the overall match is balanced, the competition between tanks feels very one-sided’

How is that in any way “balanced”? I get a 3600 tank, you get a 2800 tank, i win. Tank diff literally being officially recognised as an artificially created system in the game that they have put in place

’We’ve got changes coming to the game over the next few months … We’ll try to find pairs of similarly rated players in each role when making a match‘

Stop, just stop. If i am masters support i shouldn’t be getting a plat tank or dps ever. End of story. Just because the enemy team also gets a plat tank, THAT DOESNT MAKE IT A FUN AND BALANCED MATCH. Such a dumb ideology.

Both teams get a plat tank so its fair right?

No. Sorry plat players, but I don’t want you on my team if i’m in masters regardless if the enemy also gets one. It may be considered ‘fair’ but i would argue it is not enjoyable for either of us. I expect you to play to a higher degree than you are able to, then when you don’t you get blamed through no fault of your own. You are playing in lobbies with people higher than you and are getting rolled. It is not enjoyable when at any moment my tank can randomly drop shield or charge in.

Match people only with people of their skill level, its literally that simple. That is how matchmaking is supposed to work. Stop skewing matches against players. If im masters support find me a masters tank and masters dps. If you can’t then your matchmaking is a failure

78 Likes

I expected noobs to still suck by the time they’re done with FTUE, but not “they need to start at bronze 5” bad. Lol I would have guessed like silver 5.

Yall really need to consider showing the rating spread of competitive lobbies. E.g “plat 4 thru diamond 3”. It sucks not knowing what elo a match is containing. If you can’t show skill tiers due to decay then you can at least approximate it by mapping MMR to expected STD.

2 Likes

Maybe they found that games are more often decided by the tank diff?

All our game modes, including Competitive, only look at MMR when forming a match

All our game modes

I wonder how this works for deathmatch cause matches there right now are even more lopsided than QP. One of the people on my friends list has managed a first place WR of like 80% since OW2 launched.

Nothing says fun like going 40-5 and losing because your tank is 10-10 while theirs is 30-1 :man_shrugging:

23 Likes

Nothing in this article explains anything that a player hasn’t already deduced from their experiences in matchmaking. Basically a pointless article and sad attempt to appease the community.

29 Likes

i am so tired of every x amount of games being throw away games, in every mode. diamonds shouldn’t be used in top 500 lobbies to “balance” anything. what’s the point of having diamond split from top 500 if they’re going to end up in the same lobby? it continues like that down the ladder too. in qp the other day there was a gm dps on the other team and my other dps installed as a new player that day. i don’t get how they force you to lose games and still expect you to have fun? personally i think it creates more toxicity than anything.

22 Likes

bunch of words which means nothing

what are they even trying to say !?

6 Likes

Please stop this hidden MMR craziness, trying to balance games like wizards.

Let people just play with people ranked like them in SR, no MMR needed, and it will auto balance automatically, good players will climb, bad players will drop to their rank. I think nobody wants to be placed in games by an algorithm that often makes poor choices because it cannot handle everything, and people would accept wildly to be placed against people of same SR, simply as that.

29 Likes

They use MMR, not SR for matchmaking.

It’s entirely reasonable to suggest your MMR is actually plat or the MMR of the plat is masters.

They are saying statistically, the game should be balanced but it may not feel that way for those that see a specific role unbalanced.

This is clear in games where sometimes, I feel like I don’t get the heals or the damage pressure and I need to do way more than the other tank to win. Or sometimes I get diffed.

Speaking about this constructively, it seems that groups are a big part of the problem.

Would you sacrifice the ability to queue with friends outside of a narrow MMR range for better quality comp matches?

Why do think this will make a difference to the quality of games? You are asking to replace one calculated score with another calculated score?

Don’t you think people of the same SR level have wildly different skill levels?

2 Likes

This

If it means longer queues so be it. Who even cares when the alternative is a coinflip because of how wildly inconsistent low ranks make masters+ games.

14 Likes

If my mmr is plat how am i consistently masters. If they are masters mmr how are they consistently plat lol

Either scenario proves the system is not working correctly. Mmr and sr are supposed to be aligned not 1000sr apart

The matchmaking is just broken, everyone needs to accept that. You get matched with people way outside your skill ranges because they are trying to compromise on queue times. They will throw a plat into a masters game anyday if it saves on queue times. It’s been proven to be the case time and time again

The devs need to stop artificially creating matches from thin air and actually make matches based off your skill. If im masters, I should be matched with masters not plats. End of story

29 Likes

Most intersting part is that new players now starting is Bronze 5.

Why that wasn’t the case in the first place is another story.

I also hope they explain why there is often such a huge gap between MMR and shown rank. I just dont get it. Your system Values my Performance as Plat 3? Then make me Plat 3 and not Dia 1 or Silver 4 ffs.

16 Likes

Good to see some communication regarding this.

We’ve got changes coming to the game over the next few months which will dramatically reduce these disparities. We’ll try to find pairs of similarly rated players in each role when making a match.

I know a certain Sergeant Slaughter/Bob who is going to be very happy about this.

1 Like

qp most unbalanced mode and will never be balanced they said the 2 big things that mess with the matchmaking is new players and premades. guess what qp is full of.