Overwatch 2 beta testing goals: Uniting development with community

It starts on June 28th

Displacements are a form of CC. I was shorthanding it because writing displacement is more annoying and people know what’s being referred to.

Why are you arbitrarily excluding tanks? lol

Fair point about the first fight issue. But none of that is fun for the many reasons I detailed in other posts above. Unlike the other passives, this one is rarely–and in many cases never–contributing to the player experience. At best it’s relevant 3 or so times per match, while the others are persistently active, shaping their players’ moment to moment gameplay experience. Fun is subjective…but objectively less opportunities to experience it is objectively less fun.

And a design where some players have a passive, and others effectively do not, is a bad design by any reasonable measure. A tank will never not be shot. A support will never not be shot. But any player has a decent likelihood of not needing to switch in many matches.

DPS OTPs are disproportionately punished compared to other roles, as they now have no passive. If ult swapping becomes a meta strat, you can say goodbye to nearly every DPS OTP in the community. High rank DPS playing meta heroes–or simply anyone doing a great job on their current hero–are also disproportionately punished, as they have a reduced need to switch. With the passives now being integral to every hero’s power budget, the players not benefiting from a passive are essentially debuffed in that they’re denied access to all their heroes faculties.

If I’m on Sojourn and diffing enemy Sojourn, she gets a free bonus for losing as the game tries to help her get a leg up on the competition. Like I said, anything that rewards failure while failing to facilitate skill is a flawed design, and Blizzard should know better at this point. Any pros there might be here are eclipsed by an overwhelming and compelling abundance of cons that were likely never considered.

4 Likes

Because there’s bound to be only 1 tank on each team? Also because yes, you do get the benefit of taking less knockback, but you also have the downside of inflicting less too, so it sort of levels out.

Even then, let’s include tanks. Tanks with a significant source of non-ult knockback: Ball, Orisa,Doomfist.

Everyone else’s is minimal. Even ult knockback just gets you Winston and Hog (and it’s actually a bad thing for hog’s to not throw you back because then it kills you quicker).

Like, there’s just not that much knockback.

No, people don’t. You don’t know how many threads there have been with people saying, “It’s okay guys, tanks will have CC resistance so sleep won’t last as long!”

Seriously, a ton of people think tanks resist ALL forms of CC.

Can’t wait for damage boosted dynamite into insta swap lol

I strongly disagree. These things allowed me to be far more aggressive without being afraid of feeding. And being booped less feels amazing. But that’s just my opinion. What isn’t opinion is that these features are always active however, while the DPS passive is not.

1 Like

You’re really overestimating the tank passive here lol. The ult charge reduction does 0 things to actually affect your tank gameplay.

What you’re left with is the displacement reduction, which… yeah. There’s a lot of games where that’s not even a thing.

A tank has a very decent likelihood of the displacement passive having 0 effect on their gameplay.

They literally aren’t… Support passive is only active when you have less health out of combat. Tank’s displacement passive is only active when someone displaces you, and at no other time.

These all have situations where they are and aren’t active. The support one is active most often. (I’m still not counting ult charge reduction, which is more of just a nerf to each team’s ult charge than anything specific to tanks). The tank one of “less booping” isn’t actually active that often either, with cooldowns on all those abilities and a majority of heroes not even having displacements.

Or you’re really underestimating it. Or maybe we’re both exaggerating it. As I said in the post right above, the tank passive offered immediate differences in my tank gameplay experience. If you didn’t feel the same, that’s fine. Just a difference of opinion. No right or wrong with this.

You’re grasping for technical imperfections in my phrasing (of which I’m sure there are plenty) and missing the point: the frequency of opportunities for the tank or support passive to contribute to the gameplay experience is orders of magnitude (and I mean this literally) larger than that of the DPS passive. That’s the point, and it’s quantifiable.

We’re comparing something that happens roughly 0 to 3 times per match versus something that happens dozens of times in every match. And this is only one of many complaints I detailed.

3 Likes

I hope the 30 % move speed comes back instead.

It may not help top tier heroes but it certainly helps other slower and non viable heroes. Not to mention it is far more fitting since it allows dps to flank more instead of this 30% ult retention.

The point is to make more plays, and making it ult retention runs counter to that since ults are already impactful, it should be the constant and normal plays that should be the impactful one.

It starts on the 28th, to download the beta on xbox, go to games and apps, full library and next to overwatch you should see the demo, then download it and just wait till tuesday

Quick play is supposed to be quick.
Many casual players don’t have hours for gaming session.

multiple balance changes and new heroes targeted at making the game miserable for everyone but dps and dps minded players

“Uniting development with community… after an introductory fee is paid by the community.”

*Fixed

2 Likes

Will Sombra be getting her speed boost back in Stealth, then? Since you nerfed it…literally just because?

3 Likes

Maybe because it feels bad to have years of basically immortal backlines protected by shields and 2 supports pocketing each other whenever they need help. The heroes that can flank or kill backlines just get destroyed by brig lol

I play mainly support and most of the time I barely have to think about what the enemy is doing because no matter what it’s almost impossible to punish my mistakes unless I mess up really bad.

I never experience this attack-defense swap in QP

Quick play means you can find a match quickly and its not a competitive environment. Literally millions of people play MOBAs like LoL and Dota whose typical “quick play” matches easily last 3-5x longer than the average match of OW at minimum. Heck, some of the “turbo mode” matches of dota I play (which are supposed to be faster versions of the normal game) last over an hour. And if you leave those matches you get very harsh queue penatlies. People are more committed to longer matches of games than you may think.

1 Like

Soldier too :slight_smile:

Unfortunately with Blizz’s track record they’ll conveniently forget to revert these.

1 Like

a new passive that allows Damage heroes to maintain up to 30% of their Ultimate charge when swapping to other Damage heroes.

It’ll be interesting to see where this one goes. Losing ult charge has always been a big deterrent to switching.

For the love of god please add SA servers to the beta

1 Like