Only about 10% of players want Mercy to stay like this

This is what you call push polling.

I guess I was being a little loose with the meaning of pocketing. You’re right, point taken.

We can’t just assume that this can be applied to everyone, I’m sure the actual number is more like 30%, but without being able to either survey every player or have a decent randomized survey, just one form isn’t very much evidence.

Funny watching people bicker over the validity of a voluntary survey. The only way you’d be able to reach every player or a large portion of them is by having an in-game survey linked from the main menu. There’s players who only play the game and don’t visit reddit or the forums. And there’s some who only visit the forums and some who only visit reddit. Even if it was a pinned survey on both you’d still get people who ignore it or take it multiple times to either create bias or to troll.

If there was an in-game survey the only way to create bias would be having multiple accounts. Even then people could just ignore it but if you made it mandatory there would be people who just rush through it to get it off their screen. And you can’t incentivize it either cause again people would just rush through it for a free lootbox or whatever.

Large? Are you joking or something? To begin with for results to be consistent this pool would need to be done in game, not in the forums, so that more mixed opinions can be seen. Doesn’t matter how much people deny it, there’s a bias in the forums, that CAN invalidate the results (specially since it’s such a big difference).

Also I have friends that are Mercy mains who have no problem at all with her current state, for a very simple reason: teamwork. I’m a Lúcio main (not off support, barely play Zen and absolutely hate to play Brig). And when I’m playing either him or main tank, my Mercy partner has no problem to do their thing, because I’ll be there to help if needed.

What I see on the forums for the most part is people who want Mercy to be OP again, the amount of valid complaints is so small and kinda hard to find in the middle of the flood.

People have already torn apart the issues with both the statistics gathered and your analysis, but there’s another important thing to consider:

Even if 90% of players want Mercy to change, so what? Even throwing out the fact that all of those players don’t want the same thing, or even changes resembling the same thing (as the survey itself pointed out), the elephant in the room is whether the changes you or anyone else wants are actually good for the game. We can say what we want to see all we want, but it doesn’t matter how many people share that opinion; Overwatch isn’t designed by the players.

If anything close to 90% of players want Mercy to change, then it’s a good indication the developers should try changes to her out. All we can do is indicate what’s wrong with her and give the developers ideas on how to fix her.

1 Like

at this point i just want them to remove anything rez related. remove thee voice lines, the highlight intro, everything. they tried making her kit not focus on rez without putting any actual different ability and make rez so that whatever rank you are, the skill you have to have with mercy is the same.

if overwatch isn’t designed by players, why was one of the main reasons for the rework “unfun to play with/against” and them keeping bunny hop due to popular demand :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I think you’re conflating them taking input with actually going with what people want. It’s a survey, not a referendum.

Well, bias is inevitable.
The issue with the survey is that it doesn’t cover all of the playerbase.

Mocking a valid reply doesn’t make it any less valid.
2k people are a tiny sample of the playerbase. Also as is shown a disproportional amount of mercy mains took the survey and taken from the forums which are demonstrably where people go to complain more than praise.

This tiny biased sample does not validate such claims as:

I’d have no problems with a claim like “90% of people surveyed on this forum”, or “many of the vocal players on this forum” but PLAYERS? no… Do not put that kind of weight on this. You did a lot of work but you cannot claim the weight of a playerbase wide survey.

1 Like

I’m sure I’m not the only one who is asking this, but when was this survey? I never saw anything on it until now, so I never got to vote. Also, whoever did those percentages for who people main and such should have done them in a different way instead of having them done like that, as they equate to being over 200% and if they are sub categories of previous percentages, they should have clarified instead of just saying “there’s some overlap” because the overlap could be anywhere in there.

Well, but you know, it IS just the forums, and there IS a Mercy bias here from all the testy mains who come to whine everyday. Heck with all the moaning and groaning I wouldn’t be surprised if non-mains voted for change just so these Mercy mains could finally just cut it out. :grin:

how much people voted?

To be fair, there wasn’t a box to tick to kill her off at blizzcon.

Would you really like to exploit the survey if that was the case?

Over 50% of the people also find her enjoyable in her current state. Considering that “fun” is the main talking point that people fall back to then current mercy isn’t doing as bad as people want to make us believe.
IMHO the stats are also skewed because the return of mass rez was a voting option.

It’s true though. Without a fair sample you’re never going to be able to say for certain.

I said in the original thread in defence of the survey that response bias doesn’t invalidate the results, just limits the conclusions we can make, but this is a type of conclusion we absolutely can’t make due to the said bias.

90% of the respondents not very representing of the entire playerbase but who are likely invested in Mercy think this. That would be about right. It even says in the thread that many respondents are support/Mercy mains.