Only 31 topics posted this year in Story Discussion

Its even wrose if you have seen the Story section of teh OW2 website, it literally is:

Ominc Crisis > Overwatch > The Fall of Overwatch > Recall

You can summarize the entire plot in those 4 things…

1 Like

There’s probably been more lore discussion in general because that’s how it is :man_shrugging:

Ngl, I didn’t even know there is a sub forum for story discussion :sweat_smile:

Hopefully there will come a lot of lore with OW2 and it will be used more.

It’s more upgrading to the Next Gen Console, realizing how much transfers over.

And then realizing what you have left with the old one equals the price of a switch.

On one hand, that’s pretty much the generalization of the story. On the other, did they at least make subsections? Like Blackwatch, Petras Act, Uprising, etc.

Even League of Legends has a pretty good timeline:
First Lands (-9000) → War of Three Sisters (-8000) → Westward Migration (-6000) → Rise of God Warriors (-5000) → Icathia Rebels (-2500) → Azir’s Failed Ascension (-2000) → Great Darkin War (-550) → Reign of the Iron Revenant (-400) → Ruination (-25) → Rune Wars (-13) → Noxus Endures (0) → Demacian Crown (292) → Noxus becomes Imperial Power (349) → Tragedy on the River Pilt (772) → Bilgewater (787) → Ionia Invaded (984) → Jericho Swain (989) → Current

Then again, LoL has been developing it’s lore for 8 years now…? Overwatch only had 6.

1 Like

Yea, and the bigest one is this

Who needs the lore of the game when you can discuss rainbow ponies? In a way, this forum is just another reincarnation of reddit or resetera.

1 Like

I feel like the Story Discussion forum is just where Mods dump topic to silently remove later.

(I noticed some of the past topics I had posted that were forcibly moved there… have been in fact deleted without notice.)

They did but not extremely detailed, stuff like Petras act and a good chunk of Comics/Animated shorts are left out of the timeline. Pretty sure not a single short story is there either. Like, it does its job but it still serves as a reminder that most of the stuff we have is the past with almost no movement in the present.

Edit: Not even New Blood is there, i guess they dont even update that site much anyways but that one is like the one actual lore we have gotten in a while.

1 Like

Understandable, thanks. Even with the information about the past, we still don’t know details about some important events that relate to some characters’ current development:

• How did The Scourge recruit Akande (what even IS the Doomfist mantle, it’s obviously a title, but how is it earned?)
  • What’s Junkrat’s “treasure” that has made him a prime target for mercenaries across the globe?
  • Who weaponized Echo, I highly doubt Liao was the one to authorize that?
  • How are Omnics made (what material do Omniums use)?
  • What does an Omnium even look like (concept art is subjective)?

The list goes on, but this only scratches the surface of a lot of characters that are missing depth to them.

1 Like

To this day i still think about that energy cube that Talon got from Train Hopper, i wonder if even the devs remember that thing. There is so much lore that has just been left there to rot at this point.

1 Like

That’s me, but with The Dragons. You know, from that Reinhardt comic. Supposedly a gang that has been pillaging and plundering across Europe.

Thinking about it now, isn’t the world supposed to be in a super chaotic state (remember in the “Are You With Us?” cinematic). Yet, the world seems to be relatively peaceful for a supposed “World’s in disarray, and it needs Overwatch”?

1 Like

I mean, It kinda of is? Like, i keep forgetting that Talon´s assassination of Mondatta was in the actual present, that is some world turning stuff but since nothing advances you kinda of forget these things even happen.

1 Like

True. Although, my main concern is that the story is going to act like Talon and Null Sector are the only legitimate threats, when you have stuff like Los Muertos, Deadlocke Gang, The Dragons, The Junkers, Viskhar, whatever conspiracy Sombra stumbled upon, and who knows how many other problems.

I certainly hope the story isn’t going to be, “With Talon and Null Sector gone, the world is finally peaceful” when there’s other underlying problems that exist in the world of Overwatch.

1 Like

Next release that we know of is Overwatch: Declassified, coming November 2022, which is a full in-universe history of Overwatch.

The Story Discussion forums don’t get used because most of the lore fans avoid the forums - we’re tired of getting a “lol what lore” response any time we try to bring it up. We’ve made our own communities on Discord.

Kinda weird how they have actual story writers and lore people, but lore is being given in such a small amount that a person can come up with it 5 minutes before release.

Wish I had their job. Paid to do nothing.

These 3 are a must since Ashe and the Queen play some part in the PVE be it joining overwatch or Talon. Vishkar as well since Sanjay is a council member. If they somehow make a story mode and not adress any of those 3 they actually deserve a prize for finding ways to not care about their lore

Sadly i think this is it, especially since both of them are global threats unlike something like Los Muertos or The Dragons, at best i can see them adding the Gwishin into the mix.

1 Like

The devs have repeatedly said that not all heroes will be involved in the Story Missions. Specific examples they have mentioned are Hanzo and Junkrat, but Roadhog, Ashe and Wrecking Ball are also unlikely to make an appearance.

You clearly have no understanding of what their job actually is.

[Citation needed]…

Do you happen to have a source for that? i´ve heard it before but i honestly cant believe that they would be so incompetent as to make a lore game and not even include the base roster on it.

Well… i kinda of believe it but still, that would be the epitome of sad.

1 Like

https://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3622723

“We already know the arc of the story experience and not every one of the current 31 heroes is playable,” Jeff explains. “It just doesn’t make sense for some of them. Their stories just don’t align. Now, there are a lot of heroes in the story experience. And that’s one of the things that we think is really-cool about Overwatch 2. We’re also exploring this idea of opening-up player choice. In the Rio mission we limit you to Reinhardt, Mei, Tracer, and Lucio. If you think about it, Lucio is the most central character to that story, and he has to be there.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-2-at-blizzcon-2021-the-big-jeff-kaplan-interview

Jeff Kaplan: In the story missions, currently the plan is that some of the story missions are a mandated set of four characters. That was like our Rio demo at BlizzCon 2019, where you had to play Tracer, Mei, Reinhardt, or Lucio. Other missions are much more open and allow for some hero choice, but only heroes that make sense contextually for that story.

It is unlikely that we will have a cohesive campaign that contextually incorporates all 32 of the existing known heroes. And there are some real edge cases like Hanzo or Wrecking Ball, how do they fit in? Why would it make sense for them to be on a mission with Overwatch? But we are hoping to incorporate as many heroes as possible into the story missions. That’s been one of our goals but whether we get to all 32, plus the new Overwatch 2 heroes, it’s unlikely that we’ll hit a hundred percent completion on that.

I believe it was also mentioned during the Blizzconline 2021 panel, although I’d have to double check. I don’t see how omitting heroes would be “incompetent” - rather, trying to force them into the story where they don’t fit in would be worse.

1 Like