(Official) Mccree's new name is Cole Cassidy

Omg…yuck… You know this whole time all I’ve been thinking about this is “Well whatever it is I’m sure itll be decent.” But omg

1 Like

Yeah no.

His name is McCree. Always has been, always will. The only way people will call him Cole (what an awful name, bleeeegh) is for the entire current playerbase to leave the game and the new one (that has never heard of his true name) replaces it.

Also, I guess this counts as a hero release. Lol.

3 Likes

Oh, come on. Cole Cassidy isn’t that bad at all. I was afraid it be something like “Carl the Cowboy”.

1 Like

So you change his name from a guy who said some inappropriate things in a private chat to basing it on an actual criminal who ran with a crew that killed people. Real smart move… Why not use a better role model from the west as a name?

4 Likes

Or just come up with an entirely original name that’s clearly not based on anyone, real or fictional.

They haven’t. He’s now called Cole Cassidy?

I think Bruce would be a lot better. Bruce Cassidy because of the Boston Bruins coach :joy:

I like Cole… not so much cassidy, was hoping for a last name that would sound like a hero name

Correct. But Cole Cassidy is a fictional character.

Has nothing to do with any feeling or lack thereof (I’m negative on the community therefor I must have a love affair with blizz?)….it’s literally just a name to me and I don’t care that it’s getting changed….has zero effect on my gameplay experience or my RL experience

As for why do it then….they gave their reasons for it….like if people can’t understand that the name means something to some of their employees (in a negative way)…then I’m not really sure what to say…it’s pretty clear cut….my opinion on his old name isn’t important…if you really must know I like the older one better…it got changed…big whoop

1 Like

Who is clearly based on a real person.

Butch Cassidy.

funnily enough calling him cassidy is a bit of a :eyes: as a paladins player considering how similar his kit is to cassie’s on paladins :stuck_out_tongue:

No, to be clear: I was inferring that you thought the change was good which may improve your mood on blizzard. I believe this to be blizzard’s intended goal: they’re trying to save face.

Again, I don’t particularly trust corporations when it comes to stuff like this, so I don’t take their words at face value. Its fine that you do as your feelings are different from mine, but you need to understand that not everyone has the same opinions on this.

I just feel like, if Blizzard really cared for the mental health of their workers, they’re make it clear that they were doing more for them instead of changing a name.

1 Like

I think a name like Joel McClaine or something would’ve been cool.

But as this person said…

It really does lmao.

I mean hopefully they’re doing more…be that as it may they (also?) chose to change his name….oh well….and it’s not like people can’t call him whatever they want….in terms of the community itself it’s like the least impactful change they could’ve made…feel like people who are truly upset about this are just getting upset cause they want to be upset (perhaps prior sentiment towards blizz even)

1 Like

As a big fan of the name Jesse McCree, I approve of Cole Cassidy

I will likely call him J.Cole

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. Cassidy is a surname which many people have no?

Surely this is a little different to naming a game’s character, after the actual full name of one of their employees?

Just like the people who still use the ‘Horseshoe’ spray after Blizzard removed the noose for a reason only left to the community’s assumptions… I’m certain people will be slow to change, if at all.

Cassidy is a pretty name.
Cole Cassidy sounds like a placeholder, ad-littered, crappy HTML, deadline-pushed, improper JSON object usage’d, API-call-to-my-parent’s-basement, web name generator result.

In game, I’m sure the Loremasters will call him ‘Cole Cassidy’ on this day, but I am eager to hear the awkwardness of it. It’s going to take me a while to adjust, that’s for sure.

A gunslinger named Cassidy is clearly a reference to Butch Cassidy.

Just like if you had named a sniper Ben Hathcock it would clearly be a reference to the sniper Carlos Hathcock.

But you’ll agree Cole Cassidy is a fictional name then?