Off tank players, would you even bother playing if 321 was a thing?

I recently played in qp with 3k players only and asked them if they minded me tanking with them as I was only 2300 and surprisingly they were fine with it.
It was kings row and I was rein… we got to last point with me on rein and regardless of whether i was carried or did well enough to hold my own I COULD NOT outplay their rein in last point… I was then able to swap to off tank so the 3k tank could create the space that I couldn’t and we actually won which was a nice feeling.
My point being as one tank if I run into an issue it’s still all on me no matter what the situation with 1-3-2

3/2/2 - No way in hell would I play tank. 2/1/1 I would consider solo tanking as there would be less to deal with.

Let me put it another way. No way in hell would I play tank against a Mei/Doomfist/Hanzo or some other crazy combination of triple DPS.

My team and I experimented with 3/2/1 comps before role queue, and the only tank that was viable was Hammond. Guess who used that comp in and won a stage in OWL? Dragons did.

If you think the tank population is small now with 2/2/2, it would shrink even more with 2/2/2. DPS queues would probably be worse.

Smaller teams are better for the game IMO. There is a reason other games do max 4 players per team.

I’d play off tank if they werent touched much. If they go through drastic changes for 1-3-2, I would stop being a Tank player.

1 Like

321 is trash I’d have to main support since I’m sure I’d be pigeonholed into boring Reinhardt

Ya, I think I’ll have to switch from Tank Main to Healer main.

I mean so far 2-2-2 destroyed DPS mains, 321 will destroy tank mains.

The only thing left is to become a DPS moira main.

It was so frustrating playing tanks before 2-2-2 because DPS was so popular that you’d have to hope to have just 1 tank. Not only that but even if you had one, the tank wouldn’t be able to keep up will all the incoming damage.

Also, just having 1 tanks means to be always shut down by a DPS count (ex: like mei, reaper or sombra). Without having another tank to help give you time, you’d always have to switch to another tank, and therefore rarely use your own ult.

With barrier being an absolute necessity, you can cross out any off-tank roles of your list, unless you want snipers to wreck you team. You’d basically be force to play a couple of tank or so.

And since it will definitively be the case under 1-3-2, I will not play tank anymore.

i think off tank players and main tank players will either quit or go to another role like they have been lol. tank is already the worst role so except trying to make the role feel better to play. they try to cater to the role everyone is leaving too???

makes me think if the devs know about cause and effect at all

2 Likes

I think the biggest problem with Overwatch is the mindset of the players and how so many assume it should be balanced. There always seems to be this theme that tanks are too powerful, healers are too strong… ‘Sigma does too much damage’, ‘Baptiste broken as f###’… The mindset is that the DPS role should just walk all over the other two categories of folks trying to play this game. And yet, there’s a reason why tank queue is less than a minute and dps queue is greater than 10.

Yeah, it 3-2-1 was a thing, I’d probably just stop playing. I love that 2-2-2 was implemented because I got tired of playing with these teams of 5 dps.

I mean, I’ve gone to off tank to avoid DPS q times.
So sure, I’d welcome it.

i feel like they should get rid of all the abusive mechanics first. anything u can abuse should leave/remove.
this game suffers alot from i play perfect but still get punished.
im pretty sure everyone who played the game has complained about a hero and asked, how is that fair.

i also feel like if a cooldown is over 20 secs its prob too op to even be in the game and should just be a ult instead or removed.

I don’t agree with this to be honest. It was already said that tanks would be rebalanced if the change was made. I think that there are ways to make the power of “off tanks” comparable to “main tanks” while maintaining similar designs and adding further depth to their kits. Wrecking Ball is a great example of this. He is really strong and has been able to solo tank before role lock. Not all tanks will need to have a big barrier.

^

Saying that you tested 3-2-1 comps before role queue doesn’t really mean a lot. That was at a time where triple tank/triple support existed. Both teams didn’t have the same restrictions. Besides, tanks would be reworked and any tank that would be unviable would be changed to be viable.

I’d probably not bother to play Tank or Support any more at all… Like that would be the final straw for me to go back to playing only DPS.

I would quit playing tank. I don’t want Zarya moved to DPS. And I don’t want her turned into main tank. The only change i accept is if she is made stronger in the off tank position and her ultimate is changed to an offensive one. If either direction is done. I will not bother playing in PVP, or the game again. I did not play this game so that the tanks are messed around like Syms was.

I am a hardcore fan and would try it but i can already for see not liking anything other then 222 because let’s be honest 222 has been the best thing for the game and hero problems are the main thing wrong with the game making the Roll Q look bad to some people.
But no i do not want 321 as a tank main.

As long as main tanks aren’t shield bots, sure. I’d definitely play tank.

I mean I already don’t bother to tank because I don’t play main tanks LOL.

1-3-2 would just make me less inclined to tank as I rather enjoyed offtanking, no pressure on me to be the leader of the team and more about helping my team succeed as a whole.

I’m not interested in playing beefier, easy to hit, weakened dps tanks. Oh wait dva is already a fat, flying, useless genji without any of the good features. Heh.

Nah I wouldnt

I cant play DPS other than Hanzo at a GM level, so as soon as he’s out of meta, i can’t do anything

Seeing as Hog is already in the DPS role internally, no probably not.

I’d become a support main. :man_shrugging:

Agreed.

1-3-2 would kill the tank role.