[Oceania][PC/XBox/Switch] Australia/NZ connecting frequently to LAX/PSE servers instead of SYD

Hey y’all!

This thread was created for the purpose of tracking players having extremely frequent issues connecting to SYD2 (~50% of games or more). Be advised that there is a separate thread for PS4 Players before reading this! Please read the post below before commenting, and if this thread does not describe your issue, check this post and create your own thread if none of the situations mentioned at that thread describe your problem.

Before we talk about investigating this issue, please be advised that any feedback on the information I post below isn’t handled by Technical Support. We don’t forward feedback directly to the developers as we have a special department which takes feedback in another way. If you’d like to provide feedback on how the matchmaker works, please post on the General Discussion Forums. While I appreciate that some of you may have opinions on the way the matchmaker works, and we do like to receive player feedback, I need to ensure that this thread is not derailed with suggestions. Posts containing only suggestions/feedback or which don’t provide requested information may be deleted to keep the thread straightforward and useful, as we need any game system feedback to go to the place where it’s actually collected.

Please keep in mind that it is intended that sometimes you should have matches on PSE servers, and occasionally even have situations where you connect to LAX. The reason for this is that the matchmaker is not only looking for the best match for you from a ping perspective, but multiple other factors including skill rating/MMR, time spent waiting in queue, etc. If you are only experiencing this issue every few games, this is likely not a bug but the matchmaker working the way it is supposed to. While we understand that this isn’t always optimal from a connection perspective, we also have to factor these other things in to make sure the games you are playing are relatively fair and that queue times don’t explode.

That said, if you find that you are connecting only to PSE/LAX servers during certain hours, or a large majority of your games are played there, this may be worth looking into. If you find that this is the case, we need some information from you:

• Device (PC, PSN, Xbox, Switch):
  • Regional Server (Example: LAX1, ORD1, SYD1) - Press CTRL+SHIFT+N to open up the Network Graph, this will be next to the IP address at the top left corner of the graph.
  • WinMTR test while the issue occurs for the Oceanic realm to compare what’s happening. Use the IP Address: 37.244.40.1
  • What hours the problem is happening during
  • Internet Service Provider

If you have problems with posting your WinMTR due to a link error, go ahead and copy paste this into your next post, and replace “WinMTR goes here” with your test.

~~~~
WinMTR goes here
~~~~

Appreciate all the information so far!

1 Like

The last two nights have been perfect and considering the lack of responses it would seem whatever was changed has fixed the issue.
Thank you for your help. Could you thank the others for us please?
Quick thankyou to the other forum staff/MVPs involved as well

Appreciate the follow up! I’m going to keep this thread up for a bit just to give people to time filter in here and confirm everything looks better. I’ll pass it along, however.

For the rest of you folks - just because we got one reply saying things are better doesn’t mean we’re 100% confident in a fix. If you do find the problem re occurs, post the info requested here and we’ll see if we can tell what’s up.

1 Like

:+1: If it doesn’t happen tonight or over the weekend during prime times it’s more than likely fixed for now (As long as that tweak isn’t a temporary one!).

1 Like

Reporting in to say I haven’t been put on PSE or Lax since the latest patch I have been playing during the evening and it seems ok. real test will be seeing how it goes over the weekend.

1 Like

Really? So it is intended for a lobby full of only Australian/NZ players to be put in Lax1 servers? Sounds like you’re clutching at straws here.

1 Like

Device Switch,
Regional Server: should be SYD1
What hours: from last week I reinstalled my game.

Hmm, may I ask why there is always a server problem for Oceania Servers no matter in World of Warcraft and Overwatch.

I still remember that when WOW launched BFA, there is a lagging issue which lasted for a very very long time. Just wondering how soon this can be fixed.

Just had a game where I was routed to pse1 instead of Sydney.

Seems to be a weekend thing.

1 Like

May I ask how to check which server I am connecting to?

Sure. Ctr + Shift + N

It will give you the server ID and IP address

ive had this issue for so long and it has made me stopped playing this game for months i tried to play again and on 2 different accounts im still getting the same issues of not getting connected to an oce server which is where im based resulting in me having 300ms> is there actually any fix to this because it seems its never going to be fixed for me and a couple others i know it effects.

As previously mentioned, it’s normal to sometimes end up on the wrong server group if you’re playing in Oceania. I’m aware that it’s not optimal to end up on those servers, but the reports of this issue have gone down significantly since two weeks ago. The internal tool we were using to track average latency also shows improved connections to the oceanic servers for major Australian ISPs. For now, we’re going to close this up. If things come back we’ll open a new thread abut it.

Please review the initial post for more insight into why this may happen. If you still need help with an individual issue, please create your own thread.