Oceania Players being placed into 120ms+ Latency Servers

Hey all, since the release of OW2 myself and a stack worth of friends have jumped back into OW.

We’ve all enjoyed it so far and it’s a nice change of pace, but into the meat of the problem, myself, my 4 stack and several other Oceania based players in Facebook groups have been consistently placed into higher latency servers, I’m talking maybe 7 out of 10 servers have a steady 130-170ms then we are blessed with a wonderful 46ms server.

Just wondering what’s going on as there is not really much about the topic or at least I cannot find it, When I had brought this up in a previous Support ticket I had open the response was “We haven’t seen any issues specifically related to your concern here, but we do have people constantly monitoring the game to ensure everything is operating correctly and as intended.”.

So that brings me here.

30 Likes

I have also been having this issue, I’m constantly playing on Singapore and Japan servers, resulting in 130+ms servers.

The “usual” server at Sydney is between 40 and 50ms for me, which is far better.

It seems to be about half of the time I’m on a high latency server.

PS I’m in New Zealand.

7 Likes

Have also been experiencing ~110 - 240ms about one third or the time.

Typically sit at a ping 40ish.

I live in the southern states of Australia

1 Like

Same issue here. 50-75% of my QP role queue games will put me on a server with 120+/- ping. The others will be Oceanic with much lower and appropriate latency.

I’ve come across high latency games more frequently than low latency which is really frustrating. I play with friends my friends in NZ and Aus and they too have the exact same issue so it’s definitely not an internet issue. I hope this gets fixed ASAP!

4 Likes

Me and everyone I play with also experiences this issue. It can range from an extra 100 - 200ms, in comp and QP. At one point it was happening in QP so I went to Arcade and it wasn’t happening there. Twice i’ve asked the entire lobby where they’re based and if they have the same issue, and it’s always OCE people with the same latency.

I have had high latency 100-150ms quite frequently (a third, or a half of games.) My normal ms sits around 35-40ms. This is only in the last week of OW2 when OCE people started complaining about being put on Singapore servers. It’s an assumed issue now in the community, we hope it will get fixed, we are not making this up.
We didnt have this issue in OW1.
Thanks!

Oce players, but About half my games I keep being put in Asia server.

Cannon fodder. So frustrating.

Yep, every second game I join is 120ms+ and it’s very frustrating.

NZ, usually get AUS servers, getting singapore/SEA servers w/ 130 ping about half the time.

This is happening for myself and the friends I play with very often. It’s consistently every 1-2 games we’re placed in a high ping game with minimum 120ms.

I have also experienced being in high 120 plus games around 50% of the time only in qp as I don’t want to play comp with the high ping I live in western Australia

I also have the dreaded 160ms+ bug

I think it’s throwing myself and my partner into Singapore servers which are really bad for latency issues (when checking what server I’m on).

Any word on a fix for this?

I’m getting high latency issues - it’s very sporadic though, I can get 30ms at some times then 200ms at other times, different quick play matches will give me completely different latency number even if I’m with the same group. If I swap regions it’s the same, different times, different games give me completely different numbers.
Is it a matter of needing a dedicated Oceanic region with more Oceanic servers? Since it appears most people in this thread are Australian. Are we getting placed on the server of whoever has the best ping for that match or something? It’s super frustrating.
I am also getting really bad rubber banding no matter what region I’m on, but I’m not sure if that’s a latency issue or more to do with my PC hardware.

+1 same issue here. Usually get 60-80 ping (West coast AU) but constantly getting 150+ ping servers lately.
Constant issue for all my friends in the eastern states as well

1 Like

NZ based, having the same issues. Rubber banding all over the map consistently

1 Like

Think I have experienced it well (even in OWS 1 in the last few days) but on OWS 2 I cant change my screen resolution size but I feel like I’ve experienced this too - latency spikes

1 Like

Living in melbourne and only getting 1 game every so often at my normal ping otherwise ping sits at 100-150ms makes playing any skilbased characters in my hero pool eg. zen, kiriko, ana very difficult to be able to predict where the lag will take the shots is very difficult and i feel this needs to be addressed before i even look at touching comp.

1 Like

I’ve also had this issue, I’m living in SA and regularly being sent to GSG servers instead of the SYD servers and it’s very difficult to play at 150ms compared to the 50-60ms I get on the SYD servers. This is in an issue constantly being reported in Aus/NZ overwatch groups, fix this blizzard, it’s a widespread issue

Latency spikes are different to the issue of being sent to the wrong server but this is something I’ve also experienced on both the SYD and GSG servers