Now that role queue will be a thing, don't make it 2-2-2!

Multiple Overwatch developers have talked about role queue coming to Overwatch. I’m a huge fan of this idea, but I don’t like the idea of a forced 2-2-2 comp. Even though it’s the most popular comps in most ranks, I think there’s a better way of implementing role queue, that being a 1-1-1 + 3 flex players. So, 1 support, 1 tank, 1 damage and 3 players who will flex. I think that comp has benfits over a 2-2-2 comp, hear me out on this:

Flexibility
The biggest counterargument against 2-2-2 is that it completely strips down the flexibility of comps. The 3 flex comp fixes this by letting 3 players choose whatever they want. A 3 tank 3 support comp still isn’t supported with this, but it’s still more free than a 2-2-2 while also making sure you at least have certainty you wont end up with 5 dps. Another problem with a 2-2-2 comp is that if one of the team members leave, the others can’t switch to another role to possibly save the game, a 3 flex comp will allow players to do this.

I’ve thought a lot about this idea and I do realise there are also some disadvantages to it.

Lack of flex players
Seeing how Overwatch developed and how most players have their main character or role, I think it might be hard for the matchmaker to keep finding the 3 flex players needed for a game. Flex players are probably a minority compared to people who main. An answer to this would be that player can choose 2 roles, or that players can rank their roles from favourite to least favourite. This would obviously make it harder for the matchmaker to set up a game, and it could still potentially force a player to play their least favourite role.

Trollers/people not doing their job
Flexing comes with a responsibility. You’ll have to adapt to what the team needs. There is a chance that you could encounter flex players that don’t flex to the needs of the team. This could easily be fixed by making not flexing properly to be reportable behaviour.

Let me know what you think of my idea, I’m open to comments. I hope one of the devs sees this so I know what they might think of it and what they think the advantages/disadvantages of the 3 flex comp would be.

3 Likes

As someone who in general opposes the idea of a role queue, I do not mind this proposal as much.

I don’t like how a role queue suppresses freedom in competitive. In my games, in a rank that many would dub ‘elo hell’ I actually do not find throwers, hackers or toxic people in 95% of games. The experience is fine, and the trust and ability within a competitive team to change roles mid-game and try wacky compositions is a key part of the game for me.

Your idea, I feel, could please a greater proportion of players than locked 2-2-2. It would maybe have to be accompanied by greater punishments (or at least investications) following multiple reports of bad behaviour, however.

The disadvantage of a 3 flex comp is you will most often end up with 4 dps on your team. Which is one of the things 2-2-2 seeks to resolve.

2 Likes

I’m happy to queue for support or tank, but not if I think I will be the only healer or tank in the game.

Unfortunately most people view the flex position as DPS - at least that’s how the majority of LFG groups currently work.

1-1-4 is miserable for supports and tanks, and is pretty much what solo queue is anyway so wouldn’t solve a thing.

1 Like

Funny enough, I already shared this idea on the forums and got A LOT of responses. I’m not here to blame you for idea stealing or anything like that since a lot of people can come to the same conclusions easily enough. I just thought you’d like to see what the community’s opinions were a few months ago.

Now that it seems they’ve accepted 2-2-2 might happen, I hope your post doesn’t get as much resistance as mine did.