New Competitive Rank by Rank design suggestion

Since we have a big problem in solo queue competitive that matches are last before they even start at the hero select screen why don’t we use the ladder rank system to help players LEARN how to play Overwatch.

For example. In Bronze and Silver, all team comps are locked into 2-2-2 and players role queue into each of the 3 primary roles.

Then Gold and Platinum ranks can play with more complex matchups. Blizzard can pre-define different comps (2-2-2, 3-2-1, 3-3, 4-2, etc.) and have them fight against each other. Players can role queue into this as well.

Then finally diamond and up, people have full freedom to pick comps and heroes. By the time a player has played in lower ranks to rank up to diamond and above, they’ll have learned different ways Overwatch can be played. Less matches will be lost due to comps, and mostly the players that can play their hero the best will climb.

Can we stop asking for role queue already? Limiting players is not the solution; it will only stagnate the meta more. It would worsen queue times and fix really nothing.

If you wanna make a more exhaustive tutorial to comp then by all means knock yourself out but Blizzard has yet to ever do that so I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

PS: 0 matches are lost in select screen due to comps. If players tilt each other, came in tilted, or cheated the system then that’s another story altogether. But your comps at the selection screen are not the issue at all.

So you’re telling me nobody wanting to play second healer and all 5 players wanting to play DPS and one throwing because he can’t play Genji isn’t “losing at comp selection screen”?.

1 Like

Throwing is cheating the system. I said exluding that.

You can win with 5 DPS. It’s been done. That means you can make it work. If you let it tilt everyone then it won’t but it is doable. It isn’t the easiest but hey if 5 know DPS best and the last can play Support it beats having a bad rein, a bad ana, a bad zarya, and 2 players doing what they know how to.

Just because something works rarely doesn’t mean it’s okay. All 6 DPS can also win rarely. That doesn’t mean it’s okay or should be done. Higher tiers need to be selected for ability to flex to more heroes, cooperation in addition to ability to aim, gamesense ect.

But then you agree the match wasn’t decided in hero selection… so which is it? Those contradict. A decision means a finalized choice; if you have a chance then it’s not decided…

Working with what you have is the best way to win. Also your selection lets higher tiers be unaffected so why bring it up when role locking lower tiers?

How many games are won w/ a 6 DPS comp? Compare that to 2-2-2 balanced comp? Which one do you really think has a fair chance to win? Sure there is a chance for ALL sorts of comps to win but a poorly built team composition will almost always lose. Sure it’s not “decided” but it sure as hell brings it darn near that. That’s the issue. I’m just trying to see if there is a way to enforce good habits into people by the time they’re into higher tiers. That’s all.

I agree. Working with what you have IS the best way to increase your chances to win. But I think we should enforce into players good habits by the time they reach higher tiers (diamond and above) - because at that elo at least we can trust players that they’ll coordinate EVEN IF there is a 6 DPS comp

You keep saying Diamond+ but your suggestion has nothing to do with them. The players there are not dropping down to bronze/silver to be forced into learning 2-2-2 which even bronzes know as is yet players rarely will form. In fact they blame their losses on a failure to form a 2-2-2.

You keep contradicting yourself. Working with your team is forging the best you can out of what you have which has people play their best as synergistically as you can arrange. That rarely is a 2-2-2. If players want a 2-2-2 so badly apparently Blizzard does not as the hero distribution does not support it in the slightest.

Let’s oversimplify for an example. Assume every hero has an equal percentage of players that like them. We’re looking at ~3.4% currently. With over half the roster in DPS alone how often would a 2-2-2 align? Not often. Now, we know heroes vary in popularity but of the classes together unsurprisingly DPS is the most polular and played. It’s over 50% of the percentage in that example which would be similar to in real life as it dwarfs the other two.

A role queue would unfairly force DPS to wait longer which would tick many players off. Blizzard does not want that. 3 DPS is more than viable as a strong, successful comp. Work with what you have. And I’m saying this as the player forced to solo heal or tank in that 3-2-1. It can work for sure. I’d rather swing my hammer or spray healer juice alone as a player with a tank/healing mentality then force a DPS to take up a mantle they don’t know or even understand.

Diamond+ is just an arbitrary cut-off I was using to illustrate a point. It could be masters, it could be plat, silver, whatever. A system where as you go up in tiers, you have more freedom with your team comps, etc.

Working with what you have is the only option we have currently because I can’t stop anybody from playing Genji into winston/moira/symp/zarya comp… or making someone play tank (and I heal them) while we try to push through a choke that’s getting pounded w/ junkrat balls and other damage. … BUT that’s a defeated mentality we have to play the game with… “I can do the best I can and we’ll see what happens… we’ll push in without a tank… whatever” (w…t…f…)

And yes, i get your point with role queue and long queue times due to popularity. But we’ll have to come to a point where we either start forcing people into flexing to rank up or get stuck down into lower tiers and be only good at one hero.

It’s been done. It’s a defeatist mentality because you make it one. Instead of thinking what you lack think of what you have. To paraphrase a card’s text “Focus an enemy’s mind on what is already gone. Then it’s easier to take more.” That card is named Dash Hopes. Rather fitting, no?

Okay, so you lack a shield and healing is low. But what do you have? Varied, high power damage from numerous sources. Have the flanker distract or get a kill while the snipers scoop up in the chaos. Or have many flankers go rush the same target then melt the next. DPS have mobility, CC, or both. They also either focus on huge utility or concentrated damage. Use what you have. Focus on the positives to win rather than let the nagging absences occupy you.

Sure, you lack heals, or tanking capabilities but you still possess a chance to win. You don’t win when crestfallen or as we call it in gaming “tilted.” You still have that potential and your enemies wish to take that as well. Just food for thought.

Look, I totally get that you can make anything work in Overwatch if you know how to use it. That doesn’t happen in bronze, gold, silver, gold and plat. Half the people aren’t in chat, the other half just do whatever they want (random 1v1s, no priority, nothing). THAT’s why it’s an issue. It’d be one thing to lose when trying out as a team and play a certain team composition… it’s entirely another when everybody in a team is playing individually and not listening to each other and play as a team.

There should be SOMETHING to guide people and force people to work together. Whether it be teaching them, forcing it, SOMETHING

I am low gold. I was trapped in bronze (~800 sr) for over a season. I’m not a condescending elite; I knos how it is. But being encouraging, cooperative, and demonstrating leadership get me much better results than before I did. Sombras who I compliment do better than ones I chafe about. Same goes for any off meta hero.

A friend of mine’s video but we dual queued. I haven’t uploaded in a bit. He’s mid plat so I was going up a bunch and nervous as on stream so being scrutinized. But watch it. I’m the Moira; he’s the Ana so it’s not ideal but just listen to how much I talked and what I said. This kinda communication gets results.

OW is a game where teamwork trumps composition.

The irony of your statement is that in Plat and under, personal performance makes a bigger difference than either composition OR teamwork.

U can win soccer games by fielding all goalies doesnt mean its effective

1 Like

Actually if I recall that’s illegal in Soccer?

Do you think you’d perform better if you had heals some tank(s) to make space? Or do you think you’d perform better without it?

okay then:
Footbal:
send out only QB’s to fill every position
or how about a football team gets a full team of wide recievers and is told to win games
Basketball:
send out only guards to play every position or centers to play every position

1 Like

Game can be won sure but its asinine and not effective. Obviously the game is not meant to be played that way.

1 Like

Thank you for understanding what I’ve been trying to say all along lol