Nanoboost should reduce cooldowns instead of increasing damage

I have a proposal to how Nanoboost should work. Instead of heroes that are nanoboosted receiving a 50% damage increase for all attacks, they should instead receive a +50% decreased cooldown time (maybe with the added benefit of resetting cooldowns). The nanoboosted hero would still receive the 50% damage reduction and the 250hp instant heal. This would change a few things:

1. Heroes that have team-wipe potential while nanoboosted, would now be more balanced. nano-bladed Genji, nano-Rein, nano-Winston, nano-Tactical Visor, and others would be less effective at killing 3+ enemies.

2. Nano-ing supports would be a more viable strategy. Heroes with cooldowns that are long or create a substantial effect on the team fight, will become a more reasonable target for nanoboost. Heroes like Mercy who could guardian angel sooner or have res up sooner, Lucio could Amp it up sooner or boop more often, Moira could heal more, Brig could use armor pack more, Baptiste could use Immortality field sooner or activate healing aura more often, etc.

3. It would add more skill and variation to the game instead of the typical “Nano the Genji as soon as he has blade” or “Rein charge into them and I’ll boost you.” Having more options about who to nano and picking a target tactically for the possibility of reduced cooldowns would be an interesting mechanic for the Ana and teammates.

I think that although it is a fair tradeoff to use 2+ ultimates to secure a teamfight (nano + blade, etc), it would be much more enjoyable and add an extra layer of strategy for nano to change from damage boost to cooldown reduction.
Let me know what you all think.

I think putting nano on a tracer would be a nightmare but nano-tracer already is a nightmare. I’m all for big changes to heroes because I don’t get overly attached to anything but the lot of people on the forums hate change so good luck trying to get them into it. Best response I can see is “Ana is the best balanced hero in the game she doesn’t need changes” even thought changes are healthy for a game. I like the idea tho.

2 Likes

NOOO!!!
I wanna swing my hammer and get insta kills

isnt the point…of nanoboost, is that it effectivelly makes anyone a threat to a whole team?

2 Likes

I think that this change will still do that, but you a) won’t be defenseless against it and b) can make heroes that aren’t normally dangerous, a threat.

A Hanzo constantly spamming storm arrows would be terrifying

With a 10 second cooldown it’d now be a 5 second cooldown.

He’d have to use it immediately when nano started, and then he could use again when nano ended. (So it’d give an extra, but wouldn’t be “constantly spamming”.

I’m not sure if that’s scarier than a storm arrow volley that can do 630 damage.

What WOULD scare me though are heroes like tracer blinking every 1.5 seconds, Doomfist with 2 second rocket punches and 3 second slams/uppercuts, etc.

For MOST heroes they may get to use their abilities once more. Maybe.

It’d definitely be an interesting application.

1 Like

and it usually lasts like 5 seconds…so you know

Haha think of the crazy possibilities: Torb going mental with Overload and just memeing on the other team, Doomfist becoming forumfist, Roadhog hooking 3 times in 8 seconds, Orisa using halt twice in 8 seconds, etc etc

Yea that’s why I don’t think it would be too powerful. People would have to manage their cooldowns if they knew they would get boosted similar to how Mercy used to get rez reset and get three rezs from Ult.

Edit: I think that the cooldown reset would be OP and would need to be applied differently for each hero on second thought.

My god imagine how oppressive nano-doomfist or nano-hammond would be if this change was made… An interesting thought, but I dont think it changes much. Instead of giving nano to the current set of heroes that it is typically given to, you would end up with a new list. Yes it would make nano a better use for say supports, but they wouldnt be winning any team fights, so they mostly would be ignored. The same issue would arise that you are trying to be rid of: once the community figures out who the best nano targets are, those few characters will be the only ones nano boosted

CD reduction seems more like something that an entirely new character can be centered around in my opinion.

1 Like

To be fair the Ult would only last like 8 seconds. And, if you do the math Doomfist would only be able to do 2 Rocket punches or 1 full combo during the nanoboost duration. Hammond would barely squeeze in 2 slams. So I don’t think it would be too bad.

Eh I don’t see how you could base an entire hero’s kit off of cooldown reduction, and if you did, the combo potential with normal Nano would be downright oppressive. It’s better to replace damage boost imo.

Agree.

Something I hope they explore for a support in the future.

The most important abilities will only see one additional use, and for what? Orisa uses Halt twice. So what? It does no damage and is wholly useless if the enemy team is too spread out to be rounded up. Reinhardt uses Firestrike twice. So what? One Firestrike already passes through enemies, allowing him to charge Earthshatter lightning fast. Roadhog hooks three times? So what? After one hook, the fight is usually decided then and there. Tracer, Doomfist, and Wrecking Ball are the only ones who’ll get some use out of it, they will really get some use, on the level of nanoblade.

This is ignoring the fact that nanoboost is lackluster (it only makes ultimates that were already deadly even deadlier. When it is not being used to save someone from dying) and Ana herself no benefit at all. She already loss the speed boost. Now, she’ll get even less reward for an ultimate that was already entirely selfless.

Now that you make that point, you are probably right about doomfist, his combo wouldnt be able to refresh fast enough in that short of time for him to get more than a couple kills.

On the point of Hammond, however, it is not entirely his slam I would be worried about, although even then getting in 2 slams in that short of time would still be strong (remember he can do up to 100 AOE damage per slam). But anyways, I can tell you as a Hammond player that the thing that would make him OP in this state is the 2 second cooldown on his grapple. It would be insane, giving him even more incredible mobility and a 50 damage rolling melee every 2 seconds. I could roll through a team 4 times and get 2 slams in within the 8 seconds of the nano, and I garentee you that all enemy squishies will die if the hamster has any idea what they are doing, unless there is a Sombra on the enemy team

The Orisa and Roadhog examples were just examples of having fun. If you want some serious examples that would be beneficial to the teamfight you can read my OP were I talked about the support getting abilities quicker. I would think that although on paper the high mobility heroes like Tracer, Genji, and Hammond would get the most use, they wouldn’t as much of a threat as they are when normally nano’d. They still require sinking multiple abilities to confirm kills, and require aim to have a substantial effect on the fight. If rez, imm field, speed boost, and other support or enabling ults were to be able to used sooner, that’s when you’d get optimal usage out of the nano.

I definitely agree that some abilities would be too quick off cooldown. The 50% cooldown reduction was more of a placeholder than an actual value. I imagine that if this concept was to be implemented then each ability would have a custom “new” cooldown that wouldn’t make any hero too powerful, similar to how Dragonstrike can’t be boosted by Nano or Mercy.

1 Like

That would make nano boost even more niche than it is and it would be near garbage tier.

Explain yourself.

Lol I couldn’t help it. But really, why would it make it worse, why do u consider it bad, and why would it become “garbage tier”

:expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:
I get that so often, but it’s funny every time :stuck_out_tongue:
It just seems like it would make her nano boost even more niche, I mean think about it.
The cooldown will be reduced by like… 50%?
Assuming she nanos zenyatta… well that’s literally useless for example.
The best example I can think of is maybe zarya? Her bubble cooldown is halved… wow what a great ultimate she can use her bubble once more ._.

I think ana is fine as she is anyway, this change seems unnecessary, and your trying to make the ultimate less niche so it’s not a must have on for example genji, yet it would make it even MORE niche, probably could become one of the most niche ults in the game.

Nah I’d rather see Genji get nano than DF get nano thanks