My take on a Brigitte (Repair Pack) rework idea

Hey~ I’ve seen a lot of ideas and points being brought up by other people discussing Brig. Now, an idea just came to me, combining some of those ideas with my own little twist on things. I’m not sure if someone else has already had the same idea or not, but in any case, I feel the need to get this out there anyway

Disclaimer: Any numbers are just a rough idea, and may very well need to be tweaked and adjusted. The purpose of this is just to get some ideas out there

So. :clap: Let’s talk about Repair Pack. Right now, it’s got some clear problems: the long range makes it feel out of place in Brig’s kit, and overall it just feels too simple. It could be so much more. Let’s try and fix it.

First, turn it into a regular single-use ability on a cooldown.

Now for the main idea: turn it into a an actual, physical object that can be thrown out a short distance and picked up by teammates OR used by Brigitte herself.

If a teammate is hit by or picks up the pack, they instantly heal some HP (100-120?) and/or gain some amount of temporary armor (more on this further down). The ability will not have any sort of lock-on, giving it some degree of aim requirement. If Brigitte uses the pack on herself, she just heals a small amount of HP (50-75?).

We could approach the armor aspect of the ability in several different ways:

• We could have it similar to how it was before RP armor’s removal in June, turning surplus healing into temporary armor on top of the max HP
  • We could instead have it use any surplus healing to temporarily convert the upper portion of the target’s white HP pool to armor
  • Either of the above, except we have the armor and the healing applied independently of each other, no overheal stuff (of course we’d probably need to adjust the numbers accordingly)
  • We can ditch the healing for teammates altogether and just have it apply armor to them
  • In addition, possibly make it so that the armor from this ability can not be stacked with Rally past its 100 armor cap

As for the actual amount of armor provided by the ability:

• Have the amount of armor and the duration scale with the target’s max HP: lower HP characters get less armor with longer duration, and higher HP characters get more armor with shorter duration

I’m at a loss for the durations, but I do have some rough ideas for the scaling armor values (HP = total HP):

• 150 HP = 25 armor, 200-250 HP = 50 armor, 300+ HP = 75 armor
  • 150 HP = 20 armor, 200 HP = 40 armor, 250 HP = 60 armor, 300+ HP = 80 armor
  • Same as above, but the cap is at 60 instead of 80

Another part of this rework that I really want to point out, though, is the self-heal aspect. My intention is for it to mainly be an emergency out-of-battle self-healing option. For example, if Brig has too little health left to safely attempt to proc Inspire, the other support is busy, and she doesn’t have time to run off and grab a health pack. She could use RP to heal herself a little in a pinch, possibly allowing her to get Inspire up and running again for her and her team.

If it’s not too clunky, maybe there could even be a GUI kind of like Moira’s orbs or Mei’s ice wall; you can choose to throw a pack or use one on yourself after pressing “e”?

If we go with the GUI option, then we need to consider a delay between activating the self-heal and having it apply, to allow countering. I’d also like to actively discourage the use of RP self-healing mid-fight: maybe if she’s damaged while in the process of using the self-heal, it gets cancelled? To compensate for this, we could possibly have its self-healing effect be a bit on the stronger side (75 or so?).

Anyway, the core idea of this rework is that it better fits her concept: a hardy, close-range melee off-support, fighting right by her friends’ sides to keep them out of trouble. If her effective range is more clearly defined, then I think she would be considerably less confusing to balance. Bring back her 200 health + 50 armor. Maybe even revert that nerf in June to her shield regeneration and cooldown after being destroyed, if it’s not too overkill.

Some key things here that likely need attention/adjustment–

• Durations and cooldowns and such all around
  • The healing numbers, especially the difference between healing teammates and self-healing. I want there to be room for lots of important decision making: choosing to support a key teammate with RP, or using it to heal yourself so you have a better chance of staying alive and keeping Inspire up for everyone

We CAN find a way to let Brigitte do what she loves, while still being fair and healthy. <3 We’ll need to do a lot of tinkering, but I’m confident that we can find the solution

(I hope that all came out coherent and readable. I’m by no means an expert, it took me a while to get all that typed up, and I kept getting more ideas, so my mind’s kind of swimming :joy: )

1 Like