My "Full" McCree Guide (Statistics, General Information, Strategies, and Synergies) (Will Need Assistance From Mccree Players)

McCree

Health Pool 200 (200 Health)
Role Offense (Hunter/Anti-Flanker)
Pros High Single Target Damage
Cons Low Mobility, High Aim Skill Required

Peacekeeper
  • Primary Fire (Deflected by Deflect, Destroyed by Defense Matrix, Blocked By Shields)
    • Has a DAM. of 70 at 22 meters/72.17 feet - DAM. of 60.2 at 26.6 meters/87.27 feet - DAM. of 50.4 at 31.2 meters/102.36 feet - DAM. of 40.6 at 35.8 meters/117.45 feet - DAM. of 30.8 at 40.4 meters/132.54 feet - DAM. of 21 at 45 meters/147.63 feet
    • Rate of Fire of 2 rounds per second
    • Total Ammo of 6 rounds
    • Can Head-shot for an additional 100% Damage
    • Reloading takes 1.5 seconds
  • Secondary Fire - Fan The Hammer - (Deflected by Deflect, Destroyed By Defense Matrix, Blocked By Shields)
    • (Full Magazine Calculations) Has a DAM. of 45, a max DPU of 180 at 18 meters/59.05 feet - DAM. of 38.7, a max DPU of 154.8 at 20.4 meters/66.92 feet - DAM. of 32.4, a max DPU of 129.6 at 22.8 meters/74.80 feet - DAM. of 26.1, a max DPU of 104.4 at 25.2 meters/82.67 feet - DAM. of 19.8, a max DPU of 79.2 at 27.6 meters/90.55 feet - DAM. of 13.5, a max DPU of 54 at 30 meters/98.42 feet
    • Will empty magazine completely
    • Has a rate of fire of 6.9 rounds per second
Abilities
  • Combat Roll
    • Movement speed of 15 meters per second over .4 seconds, resulting in a maximum distance of 6 meters
    • Cooldown of 8 seconds
    • Automatically reloads the Peacekeeper Revolver
    • Only works on surfaces and in the direction of movement
    • Can roll off ledges
  • Flash-bang (Deflected by Deflect, Destroyed By Defense Matrix, Blocked By Shields)
    • Projectile Speed of 10 meters per second
    • Either automatically goes off after .5 seconds, or if it collides with someone or something
    • Max range of 5 meters/16.4 feet
    • AOE radius/diameter of (2 meters/6.56 feet)/(4 meters/13.12 feet)
    • Does 25 damage to each enemy inflicted with stun
    • Cooldown of 10 seconds
    • Stun duration of 0.7 seconds
    Ability Interruption

Flashbang can cancel the following characters’ Ultimate Abilities:

• Reaper’s Death Blossom
    • Pharah’s Barrage
    • McCree’s Deadeye
    • Hanzo’s Dragon-Strike*
    • Roadhog’s Whole Hog
    • Reinhardt’s Earth Shatter*
    • D Va’s Mech Call*
    • Moira’s Coalescence
    • Lucio’s Sound Barrier*

short window of opportunity*

Combined with Fan the Hammer, Flash-bang can be used to shutdown several Transformation Ultimate Abilities of the following characters:

• Soldier: 76’s Tactical Visor
    • Genji’s Dragon Blade
    • Mercy’s Valkyrie
    • Brigitte’s Rally

Flash-bang can also interrupt the following non-Ultimate Abilities:

• Reaper’s Shadowstep
    • Pharah’s Flight
    • Genji’s Deflect
    • Sombra’s Hack
    • McCree’s Combat Roll
    • Reinhardt’s Shield
    • Reinhardt’s Charge
    • Roadhog’s Take a Breather
    • D Va’s Boosters (Even when self-destructing)
    • D Va’s MicroMissiles
    • Brigitte’s Shield
    • Mercy’s Resurrect
    • Mercy’s Guardian Angel (if mid flight)
    • Lucio’s Wallride
Ultimate Ability
  • Deadeye (Deflected By Deflect, Destroyed By Defense Matrix, Blocked By Shields)
    • During the first second, it charges 100 damage per second, then 250 damage per second after the first second
    • Takes .2 seconds before being able to target players, as well as .167 seconds to fire
    • Reduces movement speed to 1.925 meters per second from 5.5 meters per second
    • Lasts 6 seconds
    • Has a fire rate of 6 rounds per second
    • FOV does not affect Deadeye
    • Reloads Peacekeeper if cancelled
Synergies and Team Compositions

McCree’s character is a Glass Cannon archetype. He is able to deal large amounts of damage, but does not have much sustainability or defensive capabilities. As such, it is recommended that you have at least one barrier/anchor tank on your team if you wish to use him. He operates well when he is positioned in the center of his team. He should not be used to flank unless you are setting up for Deadeye, which is still considered risky.

McCree benefits the most from healers who can give large amounts of burst healing, heal from a distance, or easily reach him. Ana, Mercy, or Moira are preferred. Zenyatta can also work well with McCree as his discord orb allows McCree to deal even larger amounts of damage; however, his healing is not effective if McCree comes under heavy burst fire from Characters like Junkrat or Roadhog.

Ana and Mercy can be especially helpful for McCree as they can both keep him alive while he is using his ultimate and increase the damage it can do. Nano-boost can be particularly useful as it provides 50% damage reduction and allows him to deal 150 damage within the first second of using Deadeye.

Strategies Vs. Other Heroes
  • Vs. Mercy
    McCree can be very useful against Mercy. His hitscan abilities allow him to deal with Mercy while she is flying relatively easily. His flashbang can both disrupt her mid-flight while she is using Guardian Angel, and can interrupt her Resurrection ability. Deadeye can also be useful for dealing with Mercy while she is using Valkyrie as she is most likely to be flying above the fight where there is no cover from neither the environment nor enemy tanks.

• Vs. Reinhardt
    Reinhardt has a very low effective range. As such, it is very easy to stay within McCree’s damage falloff range and Reinhardt’s range for his hammer. Even so, it is recommended that you have Flash-bang off of cooldown when approaching him as it is very useful against him for a few reasons

• When timed well, Flash-bang can interrupt Reinhardt’s Earthshatter
    • Flash-bang can stop Reinhardt’s Charge ability mid-transit, even after one of your allies has been pinned and can save them.
    • You can throw the Flash-bang over Reinhardt’s shield and cause him to lower it, allowing for a follow-up attack from your team, as well as a few shots of your own.

If you are keeping your distance from Reinhardt, it can also be helpful to have Combat Roll on standby which can allow you to escape from both Fire Strike and Charge if your Flash-bang is not available.

• Vs. Tracer
    In theory, McCree should be a good pick against tracer, but because of her mobility and range potential, allowing her to stay away from Flash-bang, they are about an even match up. It is recommended that you stay near your supports, as she is most likely to go after them first, allowing you an opportunity to use Flash-bang and follow-up with a head shot. Your supports can also heal you if she decides to go after you instead.

(This just the beginning of the Guide, which is a work in progress)

9 Likes

finally…i am back at work
to wish…I am going to lie down…I am slepy…

2 Likes

Also Please feel free to give me feedback on the thread

2 Likes

Thank you for this guide.

I do not play Mcree but I am sure this will help other people.

1 Like

I’ll be keeping an eye on this one, best of luck

1 Like

I always find him as a sort of rear guard character. Very powerful if approached for close range, so it makes him good for guarding supports against flankers. In theory he should be a good pick against tracer, but because of her mobility and range potential (to stay away from flashbang) they’re about an even matchup I find.

1 Like

In addition to the stun lasting 0.7 seconds, Flashbang can cancel the following Characters’ ults:

Reaper
Pharah
McCree
Hanzo* (I think)
Roadhog
Reinhardt*
DVa* (Mech Call)
Moira
Lucio*

• short window of opportunity.

Combined with Fan the Hammer, flashbang can be used to shutdown several transformation ults of characters such as:

Soldier 76
Genji
Mercy (if she’s low to the ground)
Brigitte (if caught early enough)

Though it’s best to end off fan the hammer with a melee just to make sure and get in the extra 30 damage.

It can also interrupt abilities such as:

Shadowstep
Pharah’s Flight
Deflect (if not deflected itself)
Hack
Combat Roll
Reinhardt’s Shield
Reinhardt’s Charge
Take a Breather
DVa’s Boosters (Even when self-destructing)
MicroMissiles
Brigitte’s Shield
Resurrect
Guardian Angel (if mid flight)
Wallride

Sorry for the long reply, but I love my Cowboy

2 Likes

Also, his ult (if you can survive long enough) is really good for going through large amounts of healing like Moira, Brigitte, Zen, and Mercy ults.

3 Likes

McCree’s Weapon-

• Headshots greatly increase the potential damage. try to learn to hit these. Takes lots of practice but is totally worth it.

• Damage falloff starts at 22 meters, where the gun goes from a 2-3 tap to a 2-4 tap immediately. Try to stay away from that range if possible.

Abilities-

• Roll is almost completely useless for the mobility. It’s really just a free reload.

• Flashbang can be inconsistent at times, and is very risky around a certain cyborg when he pulls out his sword, but throwing it at the ground will make it more likely to connect and will make it hit faster.

• If genji deflects, either 1. Flash far over his head or to his sides or 2. DO NOT

• FLASHBANG.

• Tracers will try to bait flashbang. Outsmart them.

Ult-

• Extremely unreliable. Should only really be used to get a quick pick/in conjunction with a stun/grouping ult.

• DO NOT GO FOR TEAMWIPES WITH DEADEYE unless you are 100% sure it will work.

Positioning-

• Always try to take high ground.

• Stay near your healers. You can protect them from flankers/get healing.

Misc-

• Using FtH after flashbang is not cheap no matter how many people try to say so. It is your most reliable way to kill someone who is flashbanged, unless they are lower than 140 after the flashbang connects (mainly tracer and baby dva).
1 Like

It’s actually more reliable to headshot tracer after flash since she can sometimes rewind mid FtH if you’re not super quick on the draw.

1 Like

Btw you can edit the op to add these your self if you wish

1 Like

Oh and btw DPU means damage per use assuming all shots hit

1 Like

Oh, I did not know I could edit someone else’s post

1 Like

Only if the owner has the ability to do so and allows it, and please, use proper format

1 Like

I shall try, but I’m afraid I will mess things up

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I have a physical copy of the guide just in case

1 Like

Do you know how to nest details?

1 Like

Like how I did? You do four spaces then a asterisk, but don’t worry, I can sort that out in the morning

1 Like

Once again, an Extremely well written and Very informative Guide. :smile_cat:
Which i will be bookmarking…

(These stats are hard to find for some people, This makes learning a character’s Specific and sometimes unseen Effects Quite a lot easier)

I call myself a Decent Mccree player, but this will Definitely Help me improve.

-ChibiFox :fox_face:
Thanks, Friend Hippo!

2 Likes

I find that pre writing on paper first helps with making the guides, the hardest part of this was the damage fall off calculation

2 Likes