More Transgender Characters

As a trans person… I really really don’t want a transgender hero…

Just for the character to be transgender.

It feels so weird that I have to state that, but… I’m fine not having representation until it makes sense. Being trans isn’t a personality trait, I’d love if we didn’t even know until we put the pieces together, or were told by the character in some way. Perhaps through clothes or a pin on their clothes, or something small.

What I hate is the mentality of “Well Moira looks like a dude, so…” What it says (Not that anyone here has necessarily said that, I’m speaking in general… I’m sure it’s up there somewhere) But what it says is, “I think trans people look in-between genders, or look kinda different” When in reality, if the person is seeking to present as any specific gender, it would be insulting to assume they’re anything but…

In fact, it would be the opposite of inclusiveness to have a character who looks “Like they’re trying” Because it would insinuate that you don’t recognize real effort to present oneself as the gender they identify as.

I’d love a character who fights the good fight, who perhaps has a rough past, or has a genuine character to them… who happens to be trans.

6 Likes

My believes are in nature standard exist only two: males and females. Males and females loving each other to reproduction is the nature standard too. But nature wasn’t, isn’t and won’t be perfect. Exceptions always exist. And I am all to show these exceptions exist and should be toleranted. That’s not their fault they born that way. That’s just magic of nature.
I am all for to add transgender hero. Just do or do not, there’s no try. I don’t want to see lazy done hero.

I’m also a fan of this.
I’ll keep pushing this post up until we have all colours of the rainbow! :slight_smile:

1 Like

having a sexuality is not a story.

Im not sure how something natural born and created by nature is outside nature’s standard.
You may not understand it, but that doesnt make it ‘‘unnatural’’.

Nature is perfect. She doesnt make mistake.

I think that it could be very fun to have gender bend skins.

I dream of a Drag Queen skin of McCree…

‘‘It’s high… heels!’’

1 Like

Being transgender is not a sexuality.

In fact, being gay/lesbian IS a sexuality… and we already have one of each in the game, confirmed in the lore.

Yet we don’t have a transgender person… which is arguably less tied to anything “Adult”

3 Likes

Where confusion happens is the assumption that “Binary” is natural… when it may have been the social normality, it was not and has never been the average.

Nature is messy, humans just wanted to see things in a more structured way… now people assume that’s how it always was.

2 Likes

Yup, exactly what I think.
Humans really like to try to control things and have it their way.
Nature might be messy, but we dont get to decided as human what should or not.
‘‘Life is about a man and a woman procreating’’… that might just be the most boring definition of the potential of life and existence ever. How limited is someone thinking to see nature this way.

Also, what is ‘‘normal’’ for the masses, is BORING.

4 Likes

This is like describing mushrooms from visuals alone…

Fungus can take very distinct shapes, and you could say “This is the tall one” and “This is the short one”

But even fungus has genders… over 36,000 of them.

1 Like

I like your comparaison with fongus. They are one of the best exemple that nature doesnt do things in a binary way by definition.

Also, I agree that a transgender character shoudnt be advertise as such. It should be a man or a woman, that we learn, at some point throught the lore, without making it a national news, that that hero is transgender.

1 Like

Exactly, exactly. And it is a touchy subject from a scientific standpoint… because yes, nature does make use of binary procreation systems, since that’s kinda just how nature works sometimes. Even so, it comes from the most basic of needs in nature.

“This thing needs to make more of itself, so it should have one side of a puzzle, and it’s mate should have the other”

But aside from the physicality of these things, nature is messy… it creates things not with a will, but by chance of evolution. We happen to have a binary procreation system, which often times doesn’t align with the personal feelings of said individual, especially in a societal sense of the gender roles we humans have created which already go outside of nature’s intended design.

To be human is to deny the abhorrent dull nature of accepting what you are without question… we do not run around nude, we do not live in caves… human nature is to deny what you are, in seeking knowledge and exploration of oneself and the world around you.

It’s only human nature to deny nature’s design, because that is nature. Nature is change, and to attempt to go against change is the real attempt at denying nature.

3 Likes

I agree with what you said.
This is this very Nietzschaen way of seeing things in a way.
Where as human, we are standing somewhere between the animal and the übermensch.
That means that with evolution, we are separating in a way from our formal animal selves. We, with logic, are able to go against nature, defy our instinct, and rise above all the nonsense of the world.
In a way, he believe some acheived that more than other. Some are still bound to limited thinking. Seeing human as simple reproduction machine shows just how animal these people still are.

1 Like

What really annoys me is the assumption that being Trans is a decision… I never decided to be trans, I had feelings that drove me to nearly putting myself in the hospital, and when I looked for answers to what those feelings were, I found myself denying what I was.

1 Like

I feel you.
We don’t choose who we are. We embrace it.
And that goes with so many personality traits, motivations, passions and desires.

I feel, people that says its a choice, its because they themselves made a choice arround it : I feel most are denying who they really are, and they hate you for not doing the same. And they are telling tehmselves ‘‘well, i want to lay with another man, but I made a CHOICE, to be with a woman and have children.’’ they belive they were able to go against their nature, they denied their true self, and for that, they think you should do the same and be as miserable as them.

Embrace who you are, its the only way to create Beauty.

2 Likes

i hate to be that person but
i headcanon moira as lesbian because she’s rather masculine/androgynous and generally seems more like she’d kiss a girl if you know what i’m saying
i personally can picture her falling for mercy, but not for reaper. not for any guy at all, actually.
in my head, she’s either lesbian or aroace. she just kinda gives me those vibes.

however i do agree with you here, because headcanons are fine, while presenting a headcanon as canon is not. you can’t just push your headcanons onto others and say it’s a fact, when actually, it’s just in your head and nothing has been confirmed by the devs or been hinted at in the game or stories

i definitely agree with this

that’d literally just be “look here, we made a trans character, we’re very inclusive”
that’s just playing devil’s advocate (hope i’m using that correctly lmao idk how else to say it) and hoping for people to gobble up your representation solely for the representation
it feels forced
if the whole character is just built around them being trans and has no actual personality, that’s bad character writing
i think a character existing BECAUSE of their race, gender identity or sexuality, is more offensive than no character with that race/identity/sexuality/etc existing at all

edit: i found the right word to describe my headcanon for moira
homoromantic demisexual

True, yet this is the forum for story discussions and I don’t see how this relates to anything with a story.
i don’t care so much about “representation” as long as there is no story. It’s a game, let’s not forget that.

1 Like

Moira is pretty close to Transgender representation, even without saying it. As long as transgender heroes are meaningful for the game, then why not? Hopefully there’s a good reason for it. I think transgender people take the biggest hit from the community.

Moira is not transgender.

5 Likes

Beautiful. You said what I wanted to say ealier. I didn’t have words…

1 Like