Mercy's Winrate This Week

Across all ranks on PS4, her win rate is the 6th lowest, which is honestly surprising. However, her win rate in GM is almost perfectly in the middle, at 14th lowest.

They have all the stats and in the Korean Fan Festival, they actually addressed that they are aware of Mercy’s decline (and no not the “I think we’re done” moment but he was actually asked).

Exactly, and they know this is the case.

Which is why Mercy was in overpowered status for months because they wanted to “wait” even though the community had told them it was broken.

Atleast I am going by the only statistics we have rather than the anecdotal nature of other posts.

And please point to where I demand the developers do something. I said they should, and that is my opinion.

I think what you’re saying is illogical.

I know, I’ve seen you post this before. I don’t think that was one dev’s opinion. It’s inherent in almost every comment the devs have made about her and almost every aspect of her design.

When her healing was buffed to 60 hps, the stated reason was that they wanted to emphasize Mercy’s role as a strong single target healer. After the rework, Jeff said that the main attribute he wants people to think of when they think of Mercy is high througphut healing (mobility was second). When they game released, Mercy was clearly the dev’s idea of what a main healer should look like. She was clearly intended to be the healing focused healer. When you quantify healers contributions to the game numerically (I have info about this if you want), no other healer’s healing number takes up nearly as high a percentage of their contribution as Mercy’s does.

Like it or not, an exceptionally strong focus on healing is the central pillar of Mercy’s design. More so than any other healer. It always has been. Everything about her tells you this. You’re seeing the results of that now. When her healing is reduced, she just can’t compete.

I don’t think this should worry you as much as it does. A focus on healing is not the best of strategies in Overwatch. Utility and aggression almost always trump it. Especially when coupled with burst healing (which is often more useful than sustain). You’re seeing it now with Ana. She heals less than Mercy or Moira, but she’s much better than them when she’s used properly. You’re also seeing in with Moira - no one can outheal her if she sets her mind to healing, but she doesn’t dominate.

A reworked Mercy who is closer to her intended role (mobile, consistent, healing focused, high throughput single target healer) wouldn’t dominate. She’d be a Moira for mobile comps. A good safety net, that you could forgo if you opted to take a more aggressive approach.

They do. They have publicly stated several times that they balance things on a trinity of balance which includes statistics, player feeback, and developer opinions.

Statistics are one part that is demonstrating this, and the other part is player feedback which is admittedly a vocal minority but is all they have otherwise. If they didnt like that then they shouldnt involve player feedback into their trinity of balance.

The problem is, if that was their intention, they’ve diverged too far from their design. She’s got a ton of utility now. She can’t be the best at healing and have rez and have damage boost. Moira’s small damage contribution could never keep up, and even Ana would have a hard time.

On the other hand, if you took those things away, Mercy would be even more boring.

I really do think the best idea for them is just to balance what they’ve got. The comment above about Mercy being the most pure support, not the best healer would be a better design paradigm.

Sure, in any given game it does. But over time, the averages should reflect general behaviors.

Go back to pre rework Mercy and imagine two Mercy player factions that play in the same ranks. Faction A employs hide and res very often. They’ll go into hiding before a fight, wait for everyone to die, swoop in and res (this is the behavior people accuse Mercy players of participating in). Faction B stays with the team, keeps them healed, and resurrects when necessary.

You’d expect faction B’s healing numbers to be higher. If faction A all had a sudden change of heart, you’d expect Mercy’s healing numbers to go up. If those numbers don’t go up much at all then you could deduce that either faction A wasn’t that big, or that they didn’t hide as often as you thought they did.

3 Likes

They arent.

Statistics take from a sample to form information to then be applied to a wider topic.

Statistics on smoking being bad for your health do not include the entire population of smokers and non smokers.

What information we have may be limited but it still represents 15% of the community which does have a public profile which still accounts for thousands of players, much more than most commonly spouted statistics had as a population pool.

So “Hide n Res” wasn’t as common as people claimed it to be. KNEW IT! Time to copy and save this for anyone who says otherwise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats exactly my point. The go to pick for raw healing isnt the go to pick for raw healing and thus the developers who are keeping an eye on her should do something in my opinion.

The problem is, Mercy has utility and Moira doesn’t. If Moira doesn’t outheal Mercy she has no purpose.

Moira has damage in her kit though, especially with balls as well as mobility that doesn’t rely on a teammate. Not necessarily disagreeing though, with Mercy 1.0 it was fine because she only had rez (hence why her healing rate wasn’t a problem), now she has E rez every 30 seconds and chain beams which is too much.

I really don’t think that’s possible. Someone has to be the lowest used character in the game. At the cost of characters being nerfed and buffed.

The damage really isn’t very worthwhile in a competitive setting (particularly damage balls, which you should barely even be using). That’s why Mercy was solidly ahead of Moira until the 50 hp/s nerf.

I think her balls do more than people think, but I do understand your point. I still think Mercy 2.0 just has way too much power in the wrong places.

2 Likes

The problem is, take away her utility and she has even less to do on the battlefield, which would make her more boring (at least to players like me).

Damage boost has been around since the game started and wasn’t ever considered a problem before the rework. More importantly - it doesn’t contribute as much as you think it does. A high rank Mercy damage boosts about 700- 1000 damage a game. A healing focused, yellow orb using, high rank Moira does about 6500 damage. An Ana does about 4500. Now, all of these damage types have advantages and disadvantages but the numbers are what they are.

Res is a form of burst healing. I think it was always meant to be viewed this way. However, I also think that res has to be removed. It’s causing too much trouble.

I’ve quantified these thing’s contributions in a previous post in case you’re interested. They don’t add nearly as much to her contribution as you make them out, and they’re lower than the aggression/utility other healers provide.

In any case, the devs absolutely should stick to her design. It’s a good design, and many people enjoy it very much. I know that you find her boring, and that you might dislike any character who is a “healbot”. But many of us do not. She’s the only character built to appeal to heal focused players, and she should stay heal focused.

Moira is supposed to be the superior group healer, Mercy is supposed to be better at single target. Even when Mercy was at 60 hps, she was not outhealing a Moira in a grouped up comp.

Mercy? True, but I personally hate power boost (I don’t think she needs it nor is it engaging), chain beams and rez on E. I’d love for rez to be on ult again and for her to have an E like Pacify (from Titanium’s thread) or something more engaging.

They were pretty close, but close healing plus one person has utility pretty much means they are just better.

Mercy is meant to appeal to a specific type of player. One who enjoys focusing on healing. It’s okay for her to be boring for players like you. Every other healer is meant to appeal to those players. Let’s let Mercy be appealing to the people who like her.