Mercy's ultimate

And as I have said, this can become a very slippery slope very quickly

But again, I understand your position without agreeing with it

May I recommend spending 10 seconds more to write out “people currently not satisfied with Mercy” (or something similar which captures what you wish to say), which would completely avoid people finding a term you coined as inflammatory or derogatory.

I have noted your recommendation

1 Like

The problem with that is, no person should be expected to changer how they speak or write to accommodate an unreasonable position. It’s not inflammatory and certainly not derogatory and such a request should not be considered.

It’s ok to be anti-mercy and request changes just like it’s ok to be pro-mercy and enjoy her as she is or enjoy having one on your team as is. Neither position is inflammatory or offensive.

Deciding a benign word is offensive and then suggesting the people using that word cease to do so is simply not rational or reasonable.

2 Likes

If several people find a term offensive and if you are told they find it offensive, would you not avoid using the term to avoid spreading toxicity? What is so wrong with helping someone avoid misunderstanding and being perceived as being toxic?

I have told Megadodo how I interpret the word, and I keep seeing evidence that several other people take offense too. If the term requires explanation then it is ambiguous and that too is dangerous on forums…

Being told that I’m anti-Mercy for not liking Valkyrie (and I don’t want Mass-rez back either) is being told I do not care for Mercy, that I don’t want a Mercy that I wish to play. It is a loaded term that attempts to invalidate my opinions. But I do care about Mercy, but I don’t care for Valkyrie.

2 Likes

I don’t see that as the core issue. I agree with your statements, but I think that the issue is that the term is not a technical term, but one that a forum poster invented. Using it, only encourages other to continue making up terms and eventually pin the opposition as anti Mercy. One could easily say the current “pro mercy” or whatever group is actually Ant Mercy and you would just have to deal with that, by your own reasoning. When the term is newly invented by the person arguing, it causes confusion.

I understand the position some folks have chosen to take on this matter

I don’t agree with the position, but again, do understand how said folks have chosen to interpret it

I have no problem with these same folks choosing to use the term to mean the opposite of what i mean, though some might see this as hypocritical

1 Like

I think what you say here is fairly accurate to a degree. You are correct, it’s not a technical term, however the forum poster you’re referring to was not the one who invented it (and I don’t mean in the literal sense of inventing a word).

In a thread (possibly one of the ones we’re currently talking in, maybe one long buried) several other posters repeatedly accused him of being anti-mercy, at which point he explained he was actually arguing from a pro-mercy position as he had an overall positive attitude towards the hero, her current kit and current performance and explained, quite reasonably, that their position was anti-mercy.

He didn’t invent the word nor bring its use to these forums, he simply explained that, by definition, he was not the anti-mercy person they were accusing him of being.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t know that. It sounds like both sides of the argument are free to use the term however. I just see reasonable, why one would just stop using the term. I completely agree with you, that one should not have to resort to tip-towing around ones feeling (being that one shouldn’t have to avoid using a term) however, I would also assume that simply not using the word would help take Dodo more seriously, since it often causes derailment. I think it is in their best interest to NOT derail, so my suggestions in not using it are not because I am on the opposing side, but because I want all parties to be taken seriously.

I’d love to see the thread that you’re referring to as well!

2 Likes

If I keep calling a person an “Owl” because I think they are smart and I mean it as a compliment, but the person I call “Owl” take offense and let me know that they wish me to stop, would it then not be incredibly mean of me to continue calling the person “Owl”?

Not all terms, however well meaning, should stick around… Written media risks misinterpretation a lot more than if you talk to someone face-to-face due to there being visual and auditory cues in face-to-face communication. Some terms should be avoided just for the sake of keeping the peace…

Anyways, off to bed…

1 Like

I do not in my opinion derail serious threads

What I see happen frequently is that someone will attack me in reply to one of my replies, and this personal attack then becomes an instance of derailment

It is quite common to see someone later in such a thread accuse me of derailing said thread, and tho this is not the case, enough folks read the accusation and the accusation then becomes perception

I would agree with you here as well, it does often derail things, as we can see here. Its original use was exactly as you describe, to derail a discussion. It was not the poster in question who originally used it, however – it was used to dismiss the arguments of those who didn’t agree with the echo chamber currently dominating that specific thread.

We can definitely agree here!

I do think it’s important to note, however, that his use of it is fairly accurate and true to the word’s definition. Those who are positive to the hero, her current kit and current performance are in contrast to those who are negative to the current hero, her current kit and performance. By definition, one actually is pro and one actually is anti.

That’s an undertaking of enormous proportions – searching mercy threads and including the words anti-mercy is going to provide more results than a team of people could conveniently sort through lol.

2 Likes

I understand

I disagree

No.
Both can be pro Mercy. Calling someone “Anti-Mercy” can, and is, being interpreted as in you do not like Mercy (and by extension no potential iteration of Mercy), therefore your opinion is invalid.

I see myself as pro-Mercy, just not this version of Mercy. Being called anti-Mercy is something I find incredibly offensive.

1 Like

This is what I think about Mercy’s ultimate.

[ Valk in a nutshell - YouTube ]

People are entitled to wanting Mass Rez back though, and those that do are completely entitled to those views, as are the contrary.

Whether you or I believe that Mass Rez will return or not, or how much we want to believe Blizzard to not bring it back, in the end these are opinions that cannot be proven with certainty.

We can speculate for the next 2 years on what we think they plan to do with the heroes, but we don’t work for the company, nor are we in the development team, to be in a place to say what they plan to do. That is not our place, and are decisions that are completely up to the dev team to make.

Furthermore, it’s been proven many times that even they have admitted to go back on their word in certain statements made, and as such, have been hushed on certain things knowing this. That is to say that at this point, it’s clear that Blizzard is aware that some things they say have the possibility to change. We can deny that change just like we can deny that something won’t happen (or will happen), but unless we can see the future (of which we can’t), saying whether Mass Rez will “return” or “not return” is completely subjective. Frankly, none of us have that authority to speak on their behalf.

That isn’t to say that we can’t have an opinion on what we believe will and will not happen with things such as Mass Rez, but saying “It won’t come back” without any proof is a poor way to prove a point, and won’t convince anyone to believe your stance on her current state. This is the issue I personally have with the push of #MercyIsFine. If you have an opinion, I respect it, but you have no right to tell me what will or won’t happen, unless you work on the actual game and neither do I. Even the game devs have been reluctant in that department, as they know that not everything is set in stone.

And because of that, those who see Mass Rez as not coming back are entitled to that view. At the same time however, I am hopeful, and those of us who see Mass Rez as coming back in some shape or form are just as valid in having those opinions, and are just as entitled to those opinions. :blush:

I agree with this btw, I find the use of such terms to be quite juvenile and lacking in integrity. But I digress, have a good night. :slight_smile:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

2 Likes

Fair enough :smiley:

Multi rez needs to come back because valkrie massively encourages battle mercy with the infinite ammo