Mercy's stats continue to fall

They let her stats drop so low then post the following in next developer update:

“Mercy can Guardian Angel now has 0.000000000000001% less cool down. This is to address Mercy’s falling pick rates.”
“Tracer clip increased by 200% and max burst through put increased to 900 DMG. This is to address the inconsistency of Tracer’s game play”

1 Like

I don’t often disagree with balance changes in this game, but the 50 hps nerf is one that confused me. I don’t think her healing was the reason she was so effective. It’s rez. It’s just too valuable not to have. Making her worse at her main job doesn’t change that, it just means that she needs to rez more often when people die with her beam on them.

That might be the point, though. There’ve been complaints about healing in general being too strong and making fights take forever. Maybe that’s what they’re trying to change.

Unfortunately, though, if this was the goal-- they’ve shot themselves in the foot because the healing buffs on the other supports aren’t anything to sneeze at.

HPS creep is definitely a thing, but if they want to combat it then they shouldn’t hit one hero at a time because they’ll inevitably make one of the main supports a must pick again.

So is the Mercy community going to suggest simple incremental buffs and work with the devs?

Or continue to make demands to completely redesign her, or revert?

“Revert” hasn’t even been brought up in this thread until you just did.

I’d prefer they removed rez and give her a meaningful (and capable of balancing more easily) E, but if they want to try their hand some more at balancing her as is I won’t say no. :>

Yeah, the other supports are definitely more attractive now, but, at the very least, I don’t think any of them are must-picks right now. There’s that to be happy about, at least.

Compared to Mercy, they are must picks.

Or rather, it might just be easier to think of Mercy as a must-not-pick.

If you want to heal and win, look elsewhere.

Not at the moment, definitely. It could change depending on how specific heroes are buffed/nerfed from now on.

in example: if we see Reinhardt’s bugs fixed and Roadhog’s bugs fixed as well, the meta would be conducive for a triple tank (Rein/Zar/Hog) with Moira / Ana and Hanzo on top.

Anything could happen to make it shift, in my opinion.

You’re not wrong. I’ve played a lot of Mercy and my win percentage with her has tanked this season and last. I’ve taken to using her when we have either two snipers and/or Pharah and that’s about it. On the plus side, I’m putting in more time on other supports without people asking me to switch to Mercy all the time, so there’s that.

Huh. That you did. Then again the rest of the thread didn’t have much to say. So I’ll toss some changes into the ring.

Mercy

Valkyrie:

• Reduce permaregen to 10, with regen going back to 20 after not taking damage for 1 second.

Cadeuseus Staff:

• 55 healing per second, up from 50.

Resurrect

• No movement slowdown while casting.

Ok, I’m just laughing imagining the mini-meta for rapidly spinning in rez during Valkyrie.

She needs reworked but I mean…
48% winrate? She’s not a throwpick

Watching the OWWC yesterday, Mercy was only used when teams were using Pharah or Widowmaker, and she was the off-healer. They were also running a Moira or Ana (mostly Ana).

To me, for the only character in the game who is designed solely for the purpose of healing to be an off-healer is a failure in the balance department.

Personally, I like not being required to play Mercy all the time, but now it feels like whenever I play her, I’m gimping my team, and any other healer is more useful.

At the very least, they should decrease her Valkyrie charge time and up her healing to 70 hps during Valk.

4 Likes

aaaaand that’s bait if I’ve ever seen it.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine and we both came to a conclusion that the only way Mercy can truly be fixed is to remove her revive ability and replace it with something else entirely. That way, they can stop nerfing her heal ability and actually put it up to a level fitting with whatever other ability they put in place.

She will continue to be nerfed to protect her revive ability. There is no way to truly balance out the ability to revive another player.

It has to start with this ability first in the rework.

No one is ignoring that.

Many, many of her mains would rather have Res either reverted or deleted if it meant she gets to be a strong healer.

I can’t speak for you, but having your entire role be centered around pressing E once every other team fight doesn’t exactly sound like a “fun and engaging hero” to me.

7 Likes

that’s a funny way to spell ana.
mercy had the highest pickrate and a slightly higher than 50% winrate after she got the invincibility buff.

1 Like

Why?

We’ve had most of the past year be overpowered Mercy with the current design that isn’t really any fun unless it’s stupidly overpowered.

We’ve now moved on to having the character be somewhat to significantly under-powered on PC.

The developers haven’t really had a great track record on the other supports. You’ll notice one of the reasons people don’t want things to shift just yet is because the other supports haven’t had a moment to shine for most of the past year +.

Isn’t most of the reason you started posting on forums because the developers made changes to Roadhog you didn’t like that lead to a significant fall for him?

This isn’t a case of the developers in charge of balance/hero design doing a great job and we should always follow them to put it mildly.

From a balance perspective the Mercy rework took a hero that was already viable/op and added a powerful cooldown ability, added two movement bugs/features, and replaced an ultimate ability.

Unless the value of the powerful cooldown + two movement bugs/ features + new ultimate is = to or < than the value of the old ultimate the character will be overpowered unless you further alter parts of the existing kit that people like.

This hits further challenges in that Resurrect had incredibly varied results as an ultimate.

From a fun perspective for many people the healing as Mercy provided a low level of fun that was even’d out by an Epic Ultimate (You’ve got the same thing with the Medic in TF2). Switching to Valk while adding fun to players that have a desire to fly ruins moves the character away from having the big epic moment.

You barely play Mercy, what is the appeal for you of keeping this current design as opposed to re-working it? I can fully understand supporting the current design if you actually play it and like it but, if you don’t I don’t see why you’d be against a re-work. I can see how people’d hate mass res and might prefer the current to that coming back in a revert but, a re-work wouldn’t necessarily be going that way.

Finally, the developers aren’t necessarily interested in incremental change. They could have started by just going 5 to 55 instead of dropping by 10 to 60 but, they choose not to do so. They did the same thing with Ana when they changed her damage. They didn’t take an incremental approach and go down from 80 to 75 or to 70 they just leaped all the way down to 60.

Because the devs don’t want to get into another year long balance process with Mercy.

And because Mercy is only slightly underpowered right now, so she only needs slight buffs to fix it.

My goal, as I’ve stated before, is as many simultaneously viable heroes as possible.
Getting rid of must-pick heroes is a necessary first step to that.