Mercys' so called "Niche" right now

If only they were to communicate more often…

Sometimes the bare minimum is a lot.

:thinking:

But we don’t like it. And when we think of something it either doesn’t improve Mercy’s gameplay a lot, seems like it is too strong, or it is a rework.

I mean, that is what the ptr, balance changes and nerfs are for :thinking: If only they were to release them more often.

:no_entry_sign:

triggered

Context matters. Here’s the actual description of a support:

The objective of support is to heal, buff and/or provide utility. Support heroes boost the overall performance of their team by increasing their survival, speed, and/or damage output. They are generally not very good duelists and are best surrounded by teammates.

Nothing in it suggests that a support should be a sidekick. I’m honestly confused as to why you even brought up real-life definitions rather than actual game definitions. Besides, the definitions you copied and pasted is support as a verb. A support in OW context, is a role. Not a action, state or occurance.

3 Likes

If only they tried making incremental easy-sell change suggestions that don’t involve Multi-Rez or removing Rez.

Which I think we can both agree, barely exists.

If the garbage that is Valkyrie is here to stay:

Valkyrie:

• Uninterrripted regen - 40HP/s

• Res every 10 seconds - 2 resses can be “stored”.

• Time: 20 seconds

• Gun: 50dmg per shot

• Infinite Ammo

• Movement speed significantly increased

• Bullet speed increased.

• 0.5 second cast time for Res.

• Mercy’s hitbox is slightly increased.

Mercy’s staff:
Removed

Resurrect:
only available for her ultimate now.

New Basic Ability - Pacify:

• After a .5 second wind-up, Mercy launches a single hitscan attack from her left hand.
  • The projectile’s hitbox size resembles that of Symmetra’s secondary fire.
  • The projectile deals no damage upon impact with an enemy. Instead, it applies a debuff that reduces the base damage dealt by the target by 33%.
  • 100 damage is reduced to 67 damage before other damage amplifiers/reductions are factored in.
  • This debuff lasts for 4 seconds.
  • The projectile does not persist once it hits an enemy. It is only able to affect one enemy for each use.
  • The projectile is blocked by barriers, Defense Matrix, and Particle Barriers. It can be deflected by Genji’s Deflect ability.
    10 second cooldown.
  • The cooldown begins after the ability is cast.
  • There is a .25 second wind-down time after Pacify is launched.
  • During the wind-up and wind-down times, Mercy is not able to use her pistol, or Resurrect. She may use Guardian Angel, however.
  • Does not affect non-player entities and constructs (turrets, Rip-Tire, Supercharger, etc).

Mercy is now a DPS.

There’s probably over 100 suggestions across the Mercy mega threads that don’t involve either of those.

I personally want her ult to be a single instant rez and her E to be a burst heal (She did have a beta skill called Salvation), or something that compliments her role as a mobile consistent healer.

But we don’t know what the heck they want because they don’t communicate about Mercy and keep releasing contradictory balance changes. e.g. Saying she’s supposed to be flowing back and forth between teammates, yet gives her an ability that roots her in place.

Her current kit just doesn’t mesh very well. At. All.

Well, I don’t think anybody is gonna read posts buried in the megathread besides Mercy mains.

If there’s good ones, maybe some enterprising mercy poster could harvest the good ones and make a new post quoting them.

Also the nearly instant single rez, and burst heal thing does sound familiar :stuck_out_tongue:
🕊️ [Mercy] Minimalist rework

Mercy has the only healing the cannot be blocked unless by anti nade and has the most useful ability in the game. Heroes have things to balance them, like with Zen. He has high dmg but is slow and has low survivability. You can’t have a hero that has no overall weakness.

This sums it up totaly, and a poor one at that. Kind like a side kick to a side kick.

Moira, lucio, zen player here. Im enjoying mercy not being a required pick. For a few seasons the question was always “can we get a mercy?”.
Mercy is fine where shes at. No, u cant one trick her. Yes, she has weaker heals (gotta pay for that rez)

1 Like

Well, the problem with your logic of wanting easy tweaks for her current version is that they won’t work. You say that Blizz maybe listened to you for each change. Okay, I can tell you that I found the results of each change really predictables. Fisrtly she became an op monster because of spam rez. Then, even before her nerfs, she started being unfun to play as, just a chore like old Sym’s shields. After some nerfs she remained exactly the same without her main problem being fixed. Month after month, nerf after nerf, always the same thing until they did the last change and finally Mercy started dying. How could I predict this? Easy, you don’t need huge brain nor nothing special, just pure logic and knowledge about the game’s past:

Insanity is making the same mistakes over and over again expecting different results

Valk existed before mass rez and it was the greatest Ow’s fail, they had to replace it by mass rez because it was horrible for Mercy and the game. Stationary rez existed during the alpha days and Blizz had to rework it because it was forcing Mercy to hide or die while contradicting her main concept as a mobile support. Trash 50 hp/s healing existed long ago too and Blizz had to buff her because she was troll pick and Ana was outperforming Mercy in every single healing feature.

Well, after Blizz reverting Mercy over and over again to all her mistakes from the past, it was obvious that all her old problems would come back. She is a weak support (not main support anymore), she is not really mobile because of immobility, she is becoming a troll pick once more, her “ult” (everyone knows that her real ult is her E) is hot garbage, and the list goes on. She is unbalanced and unbalanceable, sometimes op, sometimes up, never balanced, always miserable to play as.

Why there aren’t so many minor changes suggestions? Because we are repeating Mercy’s earliest past, and that’s upsetting. Her first designs were so flawed that there weren’t easy solutions, the only realistic options were drastic changes, like entirely removing valk and reworking her real ult. Nowadays, we can add more changes to the list like bringing her a real E ability that fits with her character, not a quicksands simulator.

I’m sorry, but there is no reason to keep tweaking a failure. Valk was, is and will always be a great failure as Mercy’s ult. E rez is and will always be a huge failure. Until those two malignant tumors are removed from Mercy’s body, she will never be fixed. We don’t need mass rez as it was, few people are calling for that I think, but that ult being way better and healthier than valk and E rez is completely out of question, only 2-3 people think that current Mercy is better.

People want Mercy to be Mercy, and she was supposed to be a strong (=/= op) single target mobile consistent pure main support focused on her healing and her mobility. Nowadays she is a cheap but weak intermittently mobile hybrid off support focused on her dps and her rez. As far as I’m concerned, even Jeff himself claimed that Mercy’s focus should be healing and mobility, so there is a giant problem here.

You know? She used to have weaknesses before. Being single target meant that she needed to work hard for healing her team. Relying on her team for her own survivality meant that if she had no teammates near, she was surely dead unless she was really good at dueling. Thanks to valk, she doesn’t have to work hard anymore. Having trash healing her teammates will die anyway, but that’s not a matter of the player’s skill but a matter of her flawed kit. Instead of healing she will try other things like boosting or shooting, and then you won’t have to be bothered about your own survivality because of self regen and infinite ammo, if you are bad at dueling, everything is made up. The main thing the revert did to her was removing every single weakness she used to have.

Yes, people want Mercy to have weaknesses once more. That’s one thing that Mercy mains usually miss. Anyway, you said it. Heroes like Zen have things to balance them. Mercy can’t be balanced, why? Because valk, stationary rez and trash healing are bad Mercy’s designs from her ealiest past (from alpha days to season 3).

You contradicted yourself. No, she is not fine, she never was since the huge revert started. Valk is pure cancer, E rez is pure cancer, trash healing makes her a trol pick in some ranks (funny thing, considering fine = trol pick). She only works now pocketing Widow/Pharah, the most brainless niche she ever had.

Fyi, Mercy is supposed to be a strong single target mobile consistent pure main support focused on (Jeff’s words) her healing and mobility. Now she is a cheap but weak intermittently mobile hybrid off support focused on going dps and rezzing. I’m sorry, but please, try to tell me now how these two definitions match with each other. That’s like reworking Lucio, turning him into a slow weak support focused only on giving shields to everyone while going pure dps and saying that he is fine because he had an entire year of cancer metas because of a broken and unfair rework that nobody wanted.

And yet almost every Mercy post I see usually is multi-Rez or removing Rez.

The devs are never ever going to do either of those.

The point is that Blizz tried nothing with mass rez, but they have tried everything with valk and it’s utterly clear that it’s the same failure as it was in the past. Valk was a huge mistake that never should have returned to the game in the first place. The same goes for stationary rez. She only needed tweaks to her real ult instead of unleashing this huge cancer to the game. That, and a real E ability, not an ult in the wrong place.

About the devs “never” going to do anything about mass rez, let me show you some cases:
1- “We will never add Deathmatch to Overwatch” Jeff himself, before adding Deathmatch to Overwatch just saying “Never say never
2- Valk was never going to return to the game, because it was the biggest Ow’s failure. It’s back for bad.
3- Stationary rez was never going to return to the game because it was toxic for Mercy and her whole character and game. It’s back once more for bad.
4- Trash 50 hp/s healing was never going to return because it made Mercy the weakest support in the game by far and a troll pick. It’s back once more for bad.

This revert (it’s not a rework at all anymore) has only brought the worst things Mercy had in the past. Doing anything, even if it means bringing back mass rez exactly as it was (I’m not calling for that, I want changes), would be a huge step forward.

How many more years of Mercy forum posts you think it will take before the devs will put in multi-Rez?

How many times are they going to post the same idea, over and over, day in, day out, and expect different results?

Seasons were also shortened though, weren’t they?

Well, according to my own experience with other Blizz’s games like Heroes of the Storm, that usually takes one year or more.

And of course, people will try to make Blizz to listen them. In this case, the problem is that they never listened them, because if they would, Blizz would never have made the valk mistake in the first place. Now people are just claiming for them to do something sensible.

Let’s say that if you go to a manifestation every day but the goverment never listen, is not that you are insane for trying it, but the goverment for keep ignoring you and hoping that you magically will give up. You are in your own right to complain, and the goverment to listen the complains. The same goes here. The devs should have listened before making a disaster. They should have listened before trying to tweak it instead of just going in the right direction. They should have listened when people said that they had gone in the wrong direction. They should have listened when people said that the “rework” was a failure and Mercy needed other thing. They should listen now to the people saying that Mercy is not Mercy and her design is straigh bad. However, they seem to prefer ignore everything and pretend that the “rework” was a “success” because “now” she is “fine”.

This revert is a nice example of everything a company should never do, nothing else. It wasn’t needed at all nor wanted. It brought all the worst Mercy’s designs back to the game and wrecked it all for an entire year. Even now, it’s not fixed yet and there is a long way to go before it could be healed. Removing valk for good would be a nice first step.

Odd, considering you can safely one-trick any other hero in the game and do reasonably well.
I feel discriminated against.

What niche? Consistency or Low Effort or both? I’ll go with both since Mercy is consistently low effort and is currently balanced as far as I’m concerned in that regard i.e. a Resurrect that doesn’t require any effort to earn that watered down ultimate and the current official ultimate that requires next to no effort of thought or skill.

Not anymore given Valkyrie’s “features”, thou we could say now she’s pocket Rezzer because apparently that is spouse to play better or really just less effort.

Geoff’s got your back sort of with the Pharah changes she’ll be “more viable” and thereby Mercy will be more desired for that personal pocket.

Quote sad really that damage dealing Supports can also better at healing at the same time. You would think that healing would be at least comparable to the others since Mercy is healing focused, but instead Blizzard just went to the route of making her into a near effortless healer and that is the reason for her low value.

I think that is reasonable considering the effort needed to make Ana have that value. Mercy shouldn’t be made as valuable or effort requiring as Ana but they should be closer together in both those departments.

Because they made a One Star hero into a One-Quarter Star hero, and they haven’t fixed the bug that is preventing partial stars from appearing.

Once that “bug” is fixed Mercy’s status in the game will be more accurately displayed as only a “partial hero”.

Welp this is the Mercy we get, so too bad for now.

She’s needs to have some challenge and then she can some impact because you have to put in the effort if you want impact.

I want to play her, but her low engagement and reward make playing her only enjoyable if your team is showering you with thanks and praise.

I would disagree that she “excels” at her niche.

She’s not really either. Her “niche” is consistency.

Pretty bangup job at that.

Because a DJ knows how to heal better than a Doctor thanks Blizzard!

That only rewards low effort play. Rez is low as long as it is single point, and chain beams are also low effort. Both are unengaging and are the source of the feeling of low impact because they are too easy to do correctly.

The past was bad and the present is bad, next post response.

Yeah that’s a good summary thou >_>

And a Ultimate charger.

Her other niche is being a crushed flower and a dimmed light of hope.

Everywhere that would feel good if Mercy was at least a full star hero!

The other niche is being a map ornament; she is very pretty!

Not just balance because anything can be balanced but is the balance engaging? That is the important quest engagement and the rewarding risk.

But apparently that is controversial as well.

Mine too…

I go Battle Mercy because at least that has some impact and challenge.

I hate being given an easy mode on an already easy hero. It feels like an insult sometimes just like how that OWL skit after the January nerfs made me feel.

And rewards you more for being uninvolved which effectively punishes you for taking risks such as getting close to flights because you gain no benefit for doing so.

Because you have almost Zero effort and almost Zero reward for what effort you do perform.

Single Rez is so trash because it requires so little thought in terms of getting into position because it is a lot more challenging to position for two targets targetting to the fallen teammate and Rezzing.

I agree, Rez can go if Valk goes too! As both reward low effort and bad gameplay!

Would be a good start but I’m ready for Valk to go the way of the Dinosaurs. Oh and this Rez can go to the grave! No Rez for this Rez!

I concur!

No burst on beams plz as this will feel oppressive to play against, yet be effortless and unrewarding for the Mercy player.

No it was 60 HPS plus Valk (all aspects) plus Cooldown Rez.

Then you would be wrong. She is still by far the best and most consistent single target healer in the game. Nobody competes with her in terms of pocket healing, and damage boost is still as strong as it ever was on Phara and Widow. Actually even more so on Phara now.

So we can conclude that Mercy is fine but Moira needs buffs.

Just genuinely curious: why caduceuz burst is a bad idea because will feel oppressive to play against and Moira’s/Ana’s bursts are fine? Their bursts feel pretty much revolting, from a DPS’ point of view.