Mercy Rework: Overwatch's Biggest Failure

With the amount of changes that have taken place to Mercy (all nerfs) since her rework, it is clear that it was a failure.

Whether Blizzard will accept this, ignore this, or do what they did last time and claim it was still a success, is to be seen.

Many people have said it before, including high ranking Mercy players such as Animetic, that resurrect is what is keeping Mercy at a huge pickrate over the other healers.

(https://twitter.com/Animetic/status/1019736914029621248)

But no, Blizzard nerf her base healing instead.

Whose idea was this?

[Blizzard keep locking and moving threads on the rework too, and it’s annoying because it’s obvious they don’t read it ("Reading our Feedback")]

62 Likes

‘hey let’s give DVa 100 extra HP’

7 Likes

What’s D.Va got to do with Mercy?

1 Like

True, however, that doesn’t mean Resurrect should go away.

It should just be a lot harder for Mercy to get.

Mercy must earn the Res.

She’s the only primary healer whose elim capacity is generally considered sub-par compared to other healers, and offsetting that with Res is fine.

It’s just how Resurrect is implemented. Granting it for free based on a cool down timer is not the correct solution.

11 Likes

Like…an ultimate?

Resurrect as an ultimate? Never heard of that before

41 Likes

It made DVa OP and they’ve tried pretty much everything but reverting the buff to fix the problem it created. Ring a bell?

2 Likes

I seriously question your logic, the rework catapulted Mercy into must pick status, how is that a failure? increasing ten fold the pick rate and win rate of a character is a fail in your eyes? the changes came because they over did it, they have to balance it out and the goal has never been about throwing mercy in the dumpster, just to bring her in line

3 Likes

Weird you say this when old Mercy did in fact earn Resurrect. Instead of acknowledging that, people complained about a BS strategy that one, wasn’t even viable in most, if not all situations and two, wasn’t even used by the majority.

1 Like

Her being OP and broken which then lead to her controlling the meta for the past months is a sign of a clear failure. You and the devs, pick rate doesn’t determine the successfulness of a rework.

8 Likes

You want to call it a failure fine…I’ll tell you what would be an even bigger failure though…bringing back mercy 1.0

6 Likes

what??? are you even reading what you wrote??

I did lol. Do tell what’s wrong with it.

2 Likes

everything ._.

First: pickrate and winrate IS the main reason to rework characters, there are other factors too of course but they are included on the metric

second: controlling the meta is not a bad thing, meta is subject to constant change, mercy being a constant influence is not a bad thing, the bad thing is that other supports are being left out, nothing else

third: Pick rate DOES determine the succesfulness of a rework because it is the only metric that can speak about it, everything else is subjective

1 Like

An easy character like mercy should not be dominating at all levels of play. Mercy’s pickrate is so insanely high, she overshadows every other support, and when the most mechanically demanding healer is considered a throw pick at even grandmaster, that’s when I consider mercy’s rework a failure.

3 Likes

Your logic is more questionable. The reason they reworked Mercy was because her play style and Mass Resurrection as a whole was considered bad for the game’s health and made her ‘impossible’ to balance. Her rework, in the end, only made Mercy’s situation worse, thus it is a failure. You just have to think outside of the box and think about how else this rework would be a failure.

1 Like
  1. Well guess what, none of those reasons were stated in the developer video that told us about the Mercy rework. Weird?

I wonder why the supports are suddenly being left out after her rework. Surely, it’s because Mercy’s rework was a success…

1. So say for example a hero after their rework had a 95% pickrate. Do you think that shows a successful rework? Disregarding all the other points that determine the successfulness of a rework because they are subjective is just dumb imo.

Mass Rez was Overwatch’s greatest failure

Good riddance to it.

3 Likes

Their Mercy rework was their greatest failure.

Prove me wrong.

12 Likes

It was an Ultimate. What I am suggesting is retain Valk in it’s current state and move Res to a pool charge system. Valk is still an Ultimate, res functions the same.

Valkyrie is labelled as an ultimate but is as impactful as Reaper in the current meta. Heck! People call it a glorified spectator mode.

1 Like