Mercy Isn’t Fixed 🤭

Mercy was balanced before the Rework. She was Never a must pick. So, why She was reworked?

3 Likes

How could mass Rez Mercy be toxic? She was like that from the start and only a few people were moaning. For most of the time other healers were most picked. Mercy became only a “problem” after every other healer was made unviable and she was the last woman standing. The most toxic thing in the game are DPS with the mentality that everything should be centered around them. Yeah fun is subjective, I guess you have a lot of fun in spectator mode or being constantly killed while rezzing. Funny enough the devs once thought Mercy should be invulnerable while rezzing. The devs now think she shouldn’t be. I bet thhat is why the Threads want stop because Mercy is soooooooooo fun right now and you are so representative in your opinion.

4 Likes

Many just want a more engaging Mercy with a higher skill ceiling again, not the somewhat braindead and conflictive design we currently have.

Current Mercy design has a few issues:

• ‘On fire’ is screwed up
  • Resurrect is too powerful to have as a standard ability, unearned, on a fixed cooldown
  • Resurrect causes you to disengage from the match for nearly two seconds, while being immobile, you can’t even defend your position or heal someone else nearby
  • Valkyrie in its current design can’t really potentially make those ‘big game-changing plays’ that the patch notes originally mentioned
  • Valkyrie is essentially Mercy flying around with autopilot beams, but can’t outheal even a small amount of burst damage, it takes away decision making and is currently an ultimate that’s almost usable at any moment
  • Her standard kit is more powerful than her ultimate ability
5 Likes

I member the days where I got screamed at for dying with rez. Where I got bullied because I rezzed at the wrong moment. Where people literally lost their s*** because I missed them with my rez.
Where I had to hide because I got focused down so much, even spawncamped a lot of time. Then still get the blame for the loss because I wasn’t there for the rez.
Yes very fun times indeed CATION SARCASM. I remember many threads where Mercy mains complained about all the abuse they got back there.

Compare it to current Mercy? Nearly no abuse at all, except the odd DPS main who runs in solo and complains about healing (which all supports get). People seem genuely happy when they receive a rez, I get people trying to help me getting a rez off and I seldom get the blame for the loss anymore.

Perspective. I play very selfish, so I barley get killed anymore when I rez (avrg 3 deaths per match). If you die when you rez, you made a stupid mistake and you deserve to get punished for it. Learn to read situations better (which Mercy mains always emphasize that it’s sooooo important to be good at with) and you’ll see yourself die a whole lot less.
As for the “spectator part” might be true if you want to see it that way. Mercys gameplay is very passive, so I personally feel like a “spectator” when I play her outside of her ult too. That’s her strength, observation. Mercy is the only healer that can focus on everything and everyone else on the map. Learn to use this for your advantage. I like to use Valk to scout and inform my team, I pushed an account from 2900 to 3400 in 7hrs gameplay with a WR of 74% on Mercy because I barely die and my comms are (according to others) on point.
The fun in Valk for me is to jebait ultimates and snipers. I also love to use it for sneaky rezzes and I still feel powerful when I dmg boost my team and watch the enemy team just melt away.

The devs finally figured out that this was a huge mistake. They reworked her because most people played her in a way they didn’t want Mercy to be played. Mass-rez had almost no counterplay for the average playerbase. Rez should be high risk/high reward, which it currently is. If you mess up, you die.

Counterpoint: These are discussion forums. Mercy mains want to discus about Mercy. There is no problem with that, since discussion doesn’t hurt. Devs don’t need to change anything if she is fine.

Also, Mercy mains aren’t going to stop making threads because their discussion is actively silenced by community and megathread, and probably because megathread description says following:

We are very active on the forums and read your feedback daily. Thank you for providing us your accounts and experiences, as it provides insight to us on how we can improve Overwatch.

1 Like

The difference between being blamed back then and less though today is pretty simple. A rezz needed thought back then, you were in total control and that meant responsibility. Not saying that being blamed was right but at least that showed what Mercy had back then and doesn’t have now. There are two possibilities, either you only rez who is safe to rez or you take a risk and you fly in, press a button and die. That has nothing to do with reading situations, it has to do with the lack of balance. Mercy isn’t allow to have a proper ability that just works, she has to either be lethargic and selfish or brave and suicidal. Barely anyone will moan because… well what should she do? Mercy can only stand there, waiting two seconds and move a tiny bit. Of course there is a way higher chance to survive with a coordinated team but same issue you stand there doing nothing, no healing, no power, whoever is behind a wall is screwed anyway. No responsibility anymore, thus barely any blame. Not a good sign.

Yes Mercys playstyle is more on the passive and spectating part all in all but Valkyrie is the extreme of it with a free spectator camera involved. And that is the issue. The ultimate is her usual playstyle on crack, thus uncreative and unrewarding. The old ultimate was different, if that popped up you had choices and responsibility. And that is what I call fun, the chance to have a real impact. Not doing the very same thing as usual just amplified - including scouting, which is also not Mercy’s job, flying through the map locating movement, that’s what flankers are there for, Sombra can locate people by her vision and on top of it scouting, that’s literally Widows own ultimate. So… basically you are implementing ANOTHER ultimate here for Mercy that already exist in a better form. Valkyrie has nothing for it’s own, it’s not unique in any way and it has no impact on the game. Something happens but for damage boosting you can use an Orisa, for healing you can use Zen, Mercy is pretty useless and still her main usage is centered around rezzing people, even though it’s inconsistent and bad. The moment other healers are buffed again, Mercy will vanish like she did nearly the whole time she did before when Ana or Lucio saw 100% usage.

Last but not least. The devs figured out nothing. People played Mercy how they want to play her and the moment they nerfed all other healers unviable they start nerfing Mercy and reworking her because she is the only one left. The devs are god awful at balancing that game right from the start and there are enough examples of it. Also Mass-rez ALWAYS had counterplay and that was simply prioritzing targets, situational awareness and positioning. People were too stupid too kill a 200 HP character with a lousy pistole, so she got nerfed, so the DPS get their precious POTG. A rez isn’t cool, saving lifes isn’t cool, mass murdering and fast gameplay cool. Supports are simply second class players who should shut up and stay in the background.

3 Likes

You can’t prioritize a hero hiding INSIDE the spawn during the teamfight to come in afterwards and revert everything. :slight_smile: (Anubis point B for example). Mass rez was definitely a problem.

EDIT:

Saving lifes is cool, instant rez is just not fair.

1 Like

That’s because most of these complaints secretly boil down to “Revert to pre-rework” or “Revert to Valkyrie 1.0 aka God Tier Mercy”. Some people seem incapable of accepting that the current Mercy is balanced and a revert will never happen.

1 Like

Well, I tried making a bug-fixes/QoL-changes thread for Mercy, but it got thrown into the Mega-void…

There wasn’t a single peep about Mass Rez there, I assure you.

There is one important thing to mention here. Face the fact that Mercy is relatively easy to play. An easy to play hero should not have huge affect to the game overall. Ana and Lucio are harder to play therefore they should have big impact on the right hands.

Huh… That’s exactly what Mercy was given… She’s more engaging now than she was for multiple reasons(extra mobility and actually participating in team fights). About the higher skill ceiling… that’s exactly why most people hate her now… because you can’t just be semi afk and be good, you actually need to do important decisions based on your surroundings.

1 Like

How is a rez not as though out these days as old rez? You literally die when you do a wrong decision, heavily dragging your team down.
You have to always analyze the situation and risk.

• can I get the rezz off? (i.e. not dying or getting interrupted)
  • can I get the rezz off and live afterwards? (i.e. not taking so much damage you instantly die after the rezz went off)
  • Do I need my rez later? (i.e. Tracer dies but your team is holding pretty good and you need to analyze if you’d need it for Rein later)
  • Is the dead teammate worth the risk?
  • Who should I rez (if 2 people are down)?
  • can my team survive 2s without healing and will I be able to heal my potential low teammates back up later?
  • which ultimates do they have to negate my rez?

You can even play mind games with body-campers. You don’t need to rez straight away, you can pretend you fly for a rez, gtfo again and you’ll see the campers wander off. THEN go for the rez.
As I said before, if you die when you try to rez, it’s 100% your own fault for having bad gamesense!

yes that’s why it needs more thoughts to it. You can’t just go and rezz someone like you did before. You have to sacrifice a lot to gain a lot. If you’re good at reading situations, this will make you the most valuable teammember.

With the old rez, you put yourself at 0 risk. You could rez through walls and the invul. frames you got with it allowed you to get away with the biggest BS.
All while you could still heal your team, the rez was instant, so you could go back to doing Mercy stuff right after. You didn’t have to consider teammates healthpools as much as now, since you didn’t sacrifice healing or your life for a rez. It was low risk/high reward.
Even if you did a “bad rez” in terms of missing a teammate or rezzed to save yourself without even looking if you’d have number advantages or ultimates to follow, your rezzed teammate(s) could still potentially turn on their god mode and kill like crazy.
I literally only pressed Q when I saw 2-3 teammates dead. I got to diamond like this. How on earth do you call this balanced?

I beg to differ. If your team is down 1 person who died in a stupid place, but the enemy team is also down 1. You then go for the stupid rez and die, you just lost your team that fight, since you as a main-healer just died. You have the responsibility of 2 lives, if you mess it up, you are the reason why that fight was lost.

who says Valk has no impact? I feel impactful when I lead my team to victory with mass-dmg boost. When I bait their Visor and High-noon so they don’t have any strong DPS ults when we go in (srsly, as soon as I ult I hear “it’s hiiiiigh nooon”, dude I’m not even in your FoV XD). When I put pressure on their Widow so my team can finally push in.
And here you said it again, THATS WHAT YOU CALL FUN. Why force your views on others?
I hated mass-rez because I was under constant stress! I had no fun when I had my ult as Mercy, I felt pressured to hide and get a big play! I don’t call being under constant stress fun. But that’s mine and other peoples opinion. You and some people think different here. That’s why you can’t generealize when it comes to the fun of people.
Some people have fun putting a Symm TP on a cliff and watch their team walk into the abyss. I can never understand how they can have fun in ruining other peoples games, but that’s me.

Yes true, it never was the devs intention for her to be played like this though. They wanted her to keep her team alive, yet people let their team die to rezz them all. They designed her as a pacifist, yet people played her like a little devil. If the Devs don’t like people playing heroes in unintended ways, they have every right to change them.

I agree, this though only applied to GM games, so approx. 1% (if not less) of the playerbase.
Most people play QP and Arcade, most people are ranked below diamond (approx. 87%). There is no teamplay, priority and positioning there. People play to have fun and play casually. They don’t have the reactiontime of GMs, they don’t have the aim of GMs and they are far off gamesense compared to GMs! For the majority of the playerbase, rez was uncounterable.
Literally the only times I died when I wanted to rez was through lucky spam of Junkrat and Hanzos. You could sit behind a wall and get the rezz off. How doesn’t that sound broken to you?
If you tried to ult the Mercy, well tough luck, she presses Q to save herself and has rez again in 30s because it charged so insanely fast.

Uhmm have you like ever tried playing flanker DPS? If the Mercy just got as much as a little help from a teammate, it was nearly impossible to take her out. You had to constantly run around looking for her. Playing hide and seek.

There have been added 2 supports to this game, called Brigitte and Moira who beg to differ. Moira is insanely strong while being very easy and straighforward to play. She is a good duelist and can fend off Gengus and Tracers pretty consistently. All while being able to solo heal.
Brigitte is the epitome of a duelist. She wins almost every 1v1 because she is so tanky. A meta formed around her because she is so strong (a bit too strong) at the moment. I regularly see Brigittes getting PotGs.

You are certainly too biased here. Supports should have weaknesses (like every other hero). Supports should not be insanely OP (like every other hero). Supports should be fair to play against (like every other hero).
Mass-rez was not fair to play against, so they changed it.

Here are a few examples what they changed outside of supports.

• Hook 1.0 was changed to feel fair
  • Scatter was removed to feel fair
  • 8s Dragonblade was reduced to 6s so Ultimates like Zens and Lucios can counter the whole of it
  • DF RP hitbox was reduced so it feels fair
  • Genjis deflect size got reduced so it feels fair
  • Sombras Hack grace period got removed so it feels fair
  • Dva DM got reduced so she can’t just eat whole ultimates
  • Hogs DMG got reduced so he can’t just oneshot 200hp heroes, he has to combo now (which is unreliable)
  • Junk got nerfed because he feeled unfair (ultimate)

^so after you read this, please tell me where there is a support bias in terms of changes by Blizzard?

OMG Thank you!

People just don’t realize that she is harder to play now! I’ve given up on arguing with Mercy mains when they list me things old Mercy had to do while never realizing new Mercy has to do this too! All while having to consider cooldown, casttime and team health!

1 Like

If the enemy’s shot caller says “Focus the enemy Zenyata” during a Valk, Valk does nothing differently from her regular kit. Really shouldn’t be that easy to make an ult useless, it isn’t even very powerful even if they don’t do that so you basically have a mediocre ult that doesn’t do much if the enemy don’t shot call and you have an useless ult if the enemy do shot call.

Compare that to Trans, Sound Barrier and even coalesense where there is higher healing output over the characters kit or even straight up immunity like Zen’s.

1 Like

Mercy is fine. Mercy megathread has been useless for some time because they said that they werent ever going to revert her, and that they are not currently looking at her for buffs or nerfs.

yeah but if Valk is used for a push that is sustained healing/damage boost for the whole team, even if they focus one person i find it very difficult to believe that your whole team will just be sitting and emoting while they take damage. Overall the sum total should lead to your team winning the team fight.

these can be countered pretty easily, use a shield, you can block trans and SB not to mention Ana who can completely negate Zen ult then Sombra is just a nightmare for Lucio and all barriers.

Then also not all support ults are the same. i posted this on another thread some time ago:-

There are many different ults in this game and for simplicity sake lets stick to healers’ ultimates. They are generally categorized as defensive or offensive.

Ana - Nano Boost - Offensive

Lucio - Sound Barrier - Defensive

Moira - Coal - A bit of both (Defensive & Offensive)

Mercy - Valk - (under debate) My opinion (Best as offensive)

Zen - Trans -Defensive (Widely considered best)

these are just broad generalizations cause you can also push with trans or even defend with nano boost but its generally in an offensive way.

But she doesn’t, she is the best healer there is right now, buffs would just make her even more ontop.

1 Like

Please enlighten us on how Mercy is broken, underpowered/overpowered, or overall terrible. Provide FACTS, not feelings.

The problem with complaints like this is that they’re super vague, don’t provide real insight, and then is never followed up with legitimate ideas that would not make her overpowered. Every time someone provides “fixes” it just makes her overpowered again, or puts her back in the same exact spot as she was in before.

1 Like

All I need is “unfun” and I win Mercy Bingo

1 Like

Yeah…
Just like they said Tracer would “never” be nerfed
Just like they said Scatter would “never” be removed
Keep throwing “never” around like you can see the future. Things happen