Mercy is in a bad position, and here's why! #ReworkMercy #MercyIsWeakestHealer

There is a difference between “necessary” and “like to have”

I’d like it if the beam didnt break when entering Valkyrie, for example…but Mercy works fine even with this issue - fixing it isnt a necessity

5 Likes

How are people still trying to bargain to change mercy when most of the biggest arguments, being her statistics, say she’s fine.
Devs: ”she’s fine”
Stats: “shes fine”
Most of the community: “she’s fine”
Mercy players: “she’s not fine”

3 Likes

Because we lost a CRAZY amount of her players.

She had pretty average win rates, but crazy pick rates in the mercy 1.0 days. Her game play was amazing, and she had a LOT of people who played her like crazy.

They lost those people with the changes, They didn’t like the changes and left.

That should be a pretty big hint that something went wrong with the rebuild.

If you could capture WHY they liked the hero, and make the changes to make her loved as much as she was before, then that is good for the game. As long as it doesn’t break the game in some way.

There are a lot of people who used to play her, trying to explain WHY she was such an amazing hero to play, and why she isn’t now.

That would NORMALLY be something that game designers would be all over.

3 Likes

But we got more supports since then. It can be argued they just learned new characters since they now have more options.
That and mercy still plays the same overall. It’s not like she got a Sym rework.
Mercy was a default support when we had way less options

3 Likes

I think Mercy is in a pretty ok spot overall. I also think its ok that she’s sort of a 1B main healer you can pair with Baptiste, Moira, Ana or a main healer to go with Zen, Brig, or Lucio. She’s super adaptable in that sense. She doesnt have any outright bad healer combos to consider like Ana, Zen, and Moira do.
I dont use her all the time anymore but I think that’s ok. I find there’s still plenty of times that I do use her. And Ive got about 130 hours in Competitive alone on her so I think Im qualified to have an opinion. If I was going to change anything, it would be to just add her vertical GA jump in as an actual feature.

1 Like

Firstly, welcome to the forums!

I agree with you in that Mercy lacks impact. I also am not a huge fan of the “Battle Mercy” persona surrounding Valkyrie. It comes off to me as them trying a bit too hard to make her “edgy”, in playing a role that she essentially isn’t naturally designed to be played in. I believe they can do a lot better with her design if they built upon her pacifist / advocate for peace characteristics. Especially so since it’s been so rooted in the character in general.

I also agree with you on the need to bring back Ressurect. I believe the ability was a great way to introduce an ultimate that was engaging, rewarding, and impactful, without having to “pop-off and shoot heads.” To me it simply fits her design, and I think a rework that includes a few tweaks to balance it out, as well as swapping the two so Valk is instead an E move, rather than her ultimate as it is currently, would really improve her current state.

I like the direction here. A few things I personally would suggest instead would be.

• A 55hp instead of 60hp base healing, just to attempt to hit that sweet spot in her dedicated healing and seeing if that would be enough, before going with a full revert of 60.
  • Agree on damage boost. Though this may change, as the devs have stated that they will look into making it “feel better”.
  • Instead of a cleanse by itself, which I think wouldn’t be strong enough on it’s own, I would perhaps suggest that it’s just incorporated into Valkyrie on a cooldown standard, as a sort of “passive” for that ability. I can settle with a 15-20 second cooldown on this as well since it’s incorporating Valkyrie along with it (albeit with some tweaks as well to balance it out).
  • I think the Blaster damage is fine as is. I don’t see a need for an increase in DPS due to Ressurect making a return.

Besides those little nit-picks though, I certainly love the direction you went with this kit, and I would love to play it in-game. Nice one. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

1 Like

They didn’t lose the players at the times of new heroes coming out, so it doesn’t stack up.

I mean, take Ana for instance, Mercy always had a massive pick rate over her plat and below.

but, now Ana is picked over her in silver and up.

Is Ana a worse pick? sure. they lose more games doing so, but people would MUCH rather play her over current mercy.

So what happened? Something did, Ana got MUCH better game play, or Mercy’s gameplay got worse.

Now, Ana isn’t a lot different, and Low - Mid ranks don’t follow metas - it really is only master and up where the meta happens.

But there was a Mercy rework, and her gameplay changes during it. But, it was subtle.

2 Likes

well…not all Mercy players are saying that, but I get what you’re sayin’

2 Likes

Listen to that and tell me how many times he mentions players complaining about things that had zero to do with balance. I can think of 2 without rewatching it.

1. a card that had a 7 for nearly every value but cost 8 mana.
  2. a 2 mana planes walker who was balanced for his cost but player preception was that planes walkers were very powerful and he… well just wasn’t.

Just because something is balanced doesn’t mean the thing is designed well and people will actually want to play as/with it.

2 Likes

Players had 0 justification for why Mercy was bad back then. She wasn’t even bad, she was in fact the opposite, that’s why they nerfed her, but the nerf was too harsh, so they found a middle ground.

Just because you and others don’t like her playstyle doesn’t mean she should be reworked.

1 Like

Don’t forget the other supports we have gotten like Bridget and Moira. We have to stop comparing mercy to Ana specifically. It’s always Ana people point to and never the others who mercy players might have gravitated to. I think we need to give mass Rez a rest. The argument for mercy would have been better if she had bad stats and pick rates on her side but she doesn’t. One of the key biggest arguments that would make it an open and shut case is not on her side it actually goes against her, saying she’s ok.
So I feel like wanting her changed or bringing back her old ultimate feels like a lost cause because any good reason you would have to point to, you don’t.
I’d be fine with an increase in healing or a new ability, but as for the ult, mass Rez can’t return. Buff Valk.

1 Like

Sure they did. Just because you and a lot of other people immediately discount subjective arguments doesn’t mean they don’t have value. ESPECIALLY when we are talking about something expressly designed to entertain humans, which is ALL kinds of subjective.

Her old play style got deleted. You… do realize that’s why people are still discussing Mercy right? Like… she had a play style… it got radically upended during the rework… then people got rightfully mad about it. Blizzard still hasn’t fixed that massive blunder, so people still want them to fix it.

1 Like

I can say without blushing that Mercy does currently have an ability called Resurrect - so there is no need to bring it back, she already has it

5 Likes

what you are forgetting is they also have the tiny subsection of the non mercy playerbase to consider… oh wait thats most of the people who play the game.

also, those megathreads were the most toxic treads on the forums. the hivemind was unreal. from saying she was useless during moth meta, to attacking people for daring to say the wrong thing needed to be buffed in her kit.

2 Likes

Generally speaking, they in fact don’t have any value. Look up the definition of “subjective.” Sorry, but you can’t balance the game around golds.

There’s nothing to fix, she’s played exactly as she was intended to, as a pocket healer.

Crying about wanting the easily abused mechanic for SR back isn’t going to help anything, only discourage the devs from even thinking about it.

And neither is going to help constantly asking for a rework, when you have 0 arguments on why Mercy is bad without the use of subjective “feelings.”

Not everyone sees the rework as a blunder, massive or otherwise; and as such, for those folks, there is no blunder to fix

Said another way - many of us see it as a good thing that mass rez was removed from the game

2 Likes

Oh boy, I knew you’d come. Lol

False.

Have you heard of the song “Friday” by Rebecca Black? That song being terrible is 100% subjective opinion. However… music… video games… movies… that’s all entertainment. If a lot of people subjectively think the piece of entertainment you have made is terrible, you are going to have a TERRIBLE time if you are attempting to make a living off that.

That is totally and completely FALSE.

Did you play Mercy 1.0? Ever? Because going from Mass Res to Valkyrie completely changes how you approach getting value out of Mercy.

I don’t even bloody want Mass Resurrect back, but trying to say that her play style hasn’t changed is just wrong.

2 Likes

Oh, 100% Mass Rez HAD to go. I’m not asking for a revert here.

Here is the issue.

Her game play was very much like the game play from some MMOs, or from those shop keeper games, where people are coming in and ordering stuff, and you are juggling a bunch of things you have to do at once.

There is a constant load on you, a lot of different balls you have in the air, you can drop a couple, and recover, and very much decide how hard you are pushing your gameplay at any moment.

It is the perfect conditions for flow state.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Game designers spend SO much time trying to nail this down in their games, because it is HARD to get working right, and real easy to knock someone out of it.

So the games based around it have to be REAL careful what kind of things they do. They can’t do ‘mode shifts’ where the game play changes suddenly, and they can’t have pauses where that fast paced, constant load play stops.

But, now, Valk mode switches, Rez stops you, your healing isn’t enough to GA to someone, slap the beam on them and fly out, you have to wait… a small but significant time before you can get back to playing for the rest of the healing to work.

And all of these little problems stack up, and the really amazing gameplay stops being amazing. Flow state is lost.

Now, the good thing is, none of this has anything to do with Mass Rez, you can drop it, and have zero issues.

They could have put single target Rez as her ult, and buffed the rest of her kit a little and called it a day, and kept everything which was working.

They had it… it was bottled lightening, the holy grail of game design… and because they didn’t understand WHAT they had, they broke it.

2 Likes

This,

I think what confuses some is that they are looking at Mercy from a technical standpoint, when in reality, having an opinion on a hero is not only a technical one, it’s one that also involves how fun, rewarding, or engaging a hero actually is to play.

Mercy’s design at her core with Ressurect, and that playstyle surrounding it, has been changed. In my opinion, a lot of people liked that playstyle, and the feeling of being the underdog that still has the ability to turn games around and make huge plays if they play their cards right, so alienating those players with the rework, no longer appeals to those people. The same can be said about the rework before all the nerfs.

Though I believe there’s still many steps they’ve taken in improving the hero on a mechanical level, I think they have lost their way (a long time ago) regarding trying to make Mercy engaging, rewarding, and impactful to play for a lot of people, and it’s apparent that they don’t seem to know how to really balance her in a way that a lot of those players find fun, looking at her drop in pickrates even before GOATS was a thing. That, coupled with the fact that the game no longer has that “luster” as it once had as being the cool “interesting hero based shooter” kid on the block, is what I find to be hurting it as well. There’s just so many other great games out here now that offer so much more, and in Overwatch, there’s so many other supports now that offer so much more, so why should they continue playing Mercy, or the game in general, to begin with?

I hope that in the coming months, we get a resurgence of Mercy to her former glory, in being a hero that is not just balanced, but also fun to play for a lot more people, with more value added to her kit that she can bring to the team, like the other supports. Whether that’s through a revert, a rework, or minor tweaks, I think many can agree that unless something is done to improve the hero in a way that appeals to more than just the #MercyIsFine folks or the top 1% of players, and instead appeals to all ranks, backgrounds, and skill levels, we may see not see an increase in usage rates. One can hope it’s not too late and there’s still interest in the game by then though :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

1 Like