Mercy idea from someone who doesn't play Mercy

Im just curious, and I have to disagree.
Many people seem to think she isn’t okay.
I wanted to understand WHY.
I don’t play her, although she seems fine.
A hero can be fine but her kit can feel boring loud cough Moira (to me, atleast)

1 Like

I main Rein but I have more hours on Mercy than any other hero.

I stopped playing her however because of her design issues. Valk’s skill covering powers are far too excessive and they specifically clash with the player’s skill set. And it’s the longest ult in the game to boot.

I don’t reckon changing from Q to E makes any difference in that.

4 Likes

She’s not fine.

4 Likes

This idea has been tossed around a lot. It makes sense in one way because rez is where all the power in Mercy’s kit is, so that being her ult seems to make the most sense. But at the same time, a single or double rez seems somewhat underwhelming for an ultimate, while mass rez would be overpowered. That’s where the issue comes in for me at least. I just don’t know how they’d balance it.

Plus, I like Mercy as she is, so in general, I don’t want her to change.

It sounds cool, but is it really needed though?

She’s not a must pick, but I’ve found plenty of use out of her when used with teams who play S76, McCree, Junk etc.

The only real balancing issue with her is in regards to PharMercy, but any changes to Mercy to break that combo up could just lead to awful meta trends taking shape (spam, bunker).

Gotta appreciate someone trying to understand an issue instead of just dismissing it.

Here’s a topic I made on the subject awhile ago, one I think covers the gist of Valk’s issues. In hindsight there’s improvements I would make, and it’s not original by any means, these issues have been brought up ever since Valkyrie first hit the PTR.

3 Likes

Most of why she’s not fine stems from her rework and how that whole mess played out.

Mercy has always been fairly reliant on her teammates and not require a low mechanical skill. However, prior to her rework she did require a decent amount of strategy and planning ahead.

Her rework (in my opinion) jettisoned most of the strategy elements from her kit, made her even less mechanically demanding (chain beams), and made her even more reliant on her teammates to actually accomplish things (chain beams again, worse base heals, can’t mass resurrect so somebody will probably do something, and can’t react to teammates using burst abilities anymore just have to boost them and pray they use it).

All of that resulted in a hero who… well… never gets to feel like one. Unless one actually starts using that pocket blaster of hers. Which… is a little weird considering she formerly was the hero you picked when you wanted to go all in on team sustain. Also… in the lore she’s a pacifist… so there’s that.

4 Likes

I would rather Rez on ult (single, short charge like pulse bomb), and something like sleep on E. A skillshot medium power playmaking ability.

But I myself have also suggested at least just switching valk and Rez, I agree it would make both feel better.

3 Likes

Add to that 2-2-2 which removed a niche she (sort of) shined, healing creep (which is being addressed in all fairness), consistency buffs to other healers - which is supposed to be Mercy’s strength - damage boost change and Mercy was pushed off very far into off healer territory, far away from a main healer juggler but a second banana to DPS.

She might be a main healer again next patch though, so here’s hoping. Valk’s design issues will still remain I’m afraid.

1 Like

If she becomes a main healer via the rest of the main healers getting dumpstered… that’s… not exactly a ringing endorsement. Or did I miss a buff for her on the PTR?

1 Like

I’m fine with that because we did have a healing creep.

At the very least we get Mercy healing more over the course of a game than any other healer, which is what the devs themselves said she should do.

This might just be me, but I think nerfing everyone into mediocrity is like… the worst possible way to go.

Also… you know that the second Mercy becomes Meta again the forums will be flooded with people complaining about how they are forced to play as her. Just like what happened during Moth meta… but this time around she’s even more boring. And then… since the balance team doesn’t seem to be able to balance their way out of a paper sack… she’ll get nerfed again to get her out of the meta… but again not in a way that removes power that the players won’t necessarily care about… no… instead she’ll lose even more of her direct personal power.

2 Likes

Can’t really address healing creep by bringing in more inflation in the mix, so there’s no way around these healing nerfs. Mediocrity means average, it’s actually were most heroes should be.

I’ll pay to see Mercy in the meta at this point. It would mean devs finally have to do something with her instead of shoving their heads in the ground and saying “Ashe is a great buff to her”. Anything is better than nothing.

And they have been gutsy lately. I’m hopeful. Maybe now that Samito is yelling in their ears about skill they’ll finally realize the brutal piece of crap skill covering mess that is Valkyrie.

1 Like

I am guessing the DPS queues are also fine the way they are.

2 Likes

The only way I think rez back on ult would be if it was single target and instant, but charged very fast (like pulse bomb.) Even then, if she did get an ability to replace it, I wouldn’t want it to be Valk. Not when superjump allows you to get high ground and while chain beams is a cool mechanic, I’d just want something better. Perhaps one of the other ideas I’ve seen: a cleanse, overheal, blind, or dual beam that temporarily damage boosts and heals.

1 Like

Just remove rez completely with a better Ultimate, better healing Output and she would be balanced. I like the idea of her having an Aura of healing light around her and if enemies get close to her they take holy fire ticking damage to help her defend herself better against fking flankers which the team seems to disregard.

Also an option, as it would certainly open up a lot of power to be moved around in her kit. I just doubt they’d take that step, since rez is so iconic and attached to Mercy.

Understood but since they changed her rez so much it’s a terrible ability now and ends up being a death sentence to us in several cases.

1 Like

That’s not quite what I mean.

What I mean is that every hero needs to have some aspect of them be kind of overpowered compared to the rest of the cast. If they don’t have something to make them stand out, then why would players ever pick them?

Blizzard’s balancing, especially with the healers, have a terrible habit of gutting the parts of their kit that make them worthwhile to pick. Baptiste is too good? Instead of reverting his damage buff let’s nerf his unique immortality thing. Moira, the main healer duelist, is too good? Let’s nerf her healing and dueling potential. Brigitte, our tank/healer hybrid who’s the only healer who can overheal, is too good? Let’s make her largely unable to do any sort of tanking and nerf her overheal instead of maybe doing something with Inspire.

If you do that too much you’ll end up with all heroes stuck in this quagmire of meh where nothing about any hero is exciting and makes you actually want to play as them. And if no one wants to play as your heroes… well… the game is gonna die.

That’s why I haven’t played in months. They removed or gutted the parts of my favorite heroes that made me want to play as them… so… I left.

That’s also why I absolutely do not want Mercy to be meta again. If she’s meta again I fully expect the devs to slap Res with another restriction or her healing beam will get nerfed again instead of trimming off some of the unengaging power bloat in Valkyrie that most people wouldn’t miss.

1 Like

That’s a genie we can’t put back in the bottle. There’s largely left nothing to lose with Mercy, so I’ll take my chances.

2 Likes