Mercy doesn't heal too much (with stats!)

The justification Geoff gave for the current Mercy nerf is that Mercy heals for too much. My strong suspicion is that the nerf was picked in order to balance hero pick rates and not out of some grand plan regarding how much the different healers should heal, but I figured I’d take a look and see what the numbers were. The numbers tell an entirely different story.

I’m taking my data from overbuff, competitive data (all ranks). If anyone has a better source, I’d be happy to see it.

Overbuff has the average heals in competitive games as follows:

1. Mercy: 12,113
  2. Moira: 10,560
  3. Ana: 8,484
  4. Lucio: 8,352
  5. Brigitte: 7,243
  6. Zenyatta: 7120

So, a 17% nerf on Mercy brings her below Moira (not the #1 healing spot they claimed she would still have). But judging a healer based off of these numbers alone is silly. Zenyatta is clearly not the worst healer. A better (but still imperfect) way to look at it is to look at total hp contribution. For Mercy, this is healing + damage + damage boosted + resurrections, which are harder to evaluate. I’ll estimate them at an average of 250hp each. If a character had things that I could not quantify (like Lucio’s speed boost, or Ana’s anti heal) I put them in parentheses next to the number to indicate that those abilities were not being taken into account. Here are the results:

1. Brigitte: 17,561 including armor but not including 3,744 damage blocked (plus the fact that armor is more valuable than hp, plus the cc value of her stun and knockback).
  2. Moira: 17,421
  3. Zenyatta: 16,965 (plus the value of the discord orb)
  4. Mercy: 14,873. 1,555 of this number is in resurrections.
  5. Lucio: 14,688 (plus the value of speed boost, boop, and damage blocked by sound barrier)
  6. Ana: 12,809 (plus the value of anti heal and sleep dart and damage boosted in nano)

These numbers tell a completely different story. Ana and Lucio are still on the bottom (though by how much depends on how much you value their intangible contributions like speed boost and anti heal). Brigitte and Zenyatta are the best characters in the class by quite a bit (and they have the higher win rates to show for it).

Mercy doesn’t need a buff, but she certainly doesn’t need a 17% heavy handed nerf to her healing, which is the core of her identity and of her contribution to the game. A 17% nerf would put her total contribution squarely in the last spot, well below Ana (whose intangible value was not accounted for, and who is getting a buff).

Let’s not pretend it’s a small nerf, or one that is justified by the data. It’s entirely motivated by pick rates. Anyone who tells you that they know for sure why Mercy pick rates are high is lying. No one knows for sure. What we do know is that it skyrocketed past the rework, so the 30 second res probably has something to do with it. Not the healing, which was the same before the rework.

A MUCH better way of changing her would be what everyone has been saying for a year - take res off the 30 second cooldown. Maybe give her one charge of res whenever she uses Valk. The charge itself could be used outside of Valk, and you couldn’t store more than one.

42 Likes

Nah the healing nerf is fine.

Even if it gives Moira the highest output, Moira is literally all numbers and no utility so its fine.

Mercy is too strong. 50 hps is something shes had before and she survived. She will survive again.

70 Likes

Orbs are literally utility.

No she didn’t, hence why she got buffed. The two off healers were a better duo than her paired with either one of them.

She got this buff very earlier, and got more after.

16 Likes

Buff every support or nerf one to hypothetically shift pickrates. It was the easy option.

6 Likes

She got a new E ability, which happens to be the most powerful support ability in the game. Many months later, she’s getting a compensating nerf to another part of her kit.

15 Likes

They did both, so it isn’t as black and white as you want to make it seem.

This nerf still changes nothing. She will still heal well, have rez, and chain beam boost as well as her get out of jail free ult.

2 Likes

Well also, buffing other healers wouldn’t give Mercy a weakness.

You’d have to buff other healers a LOT, or nerf Mercy a little.

4 Likes

Well, yeah. Easy options aren’t always the best options.

3 Likes

Honestly, as a Mercy main, I haven’t found the nerf to be too debilitating. I hardly even notice it. I think the people it is hurting the most are the Mercy’s who don’t spend 94% of their time healing. Those who basically play off healer with Mercy (which frustrates me but is cool now since Moira is a much more viable healer with her buff) are the ones who seem to be struggling now. And to that, I say so be it. Leave the heavy healing to those who are able to and want to.

Other nerfs have hurt her worse than this one, this is one of the only recent nerfs to her that makes sense to me.

6 Likes

Is Overbuff or any site reliable for stats now with the private profiles?

I think you’re forgetting about how easy each of those numbers come out for different heroes. It’s kinda dumb that Ana is the only support that has to aim to heal but she can’t even put out nearly as much as Mercy who doesn’t need mechanical skill. It comes back to the argument that Blizzard are making easy “no brain” heroes far more effective compared to even very good mechanical heavy heroes.

4 Likes

Anas a whole different ball game tbh. All of her utilities have massive clutch potential, even if that potential is hard to obtain.

If Ana had the same average output, shed be the only pick.

4 Likes

yes but she requires the mechanical skill to put out that healing unlike every other support. Yes all of her abilities have clutch potential but theres still no reason to pick an Ana even if youre good with her over Mercy. Mercy can survive longer has a much better ult that can heal and dmg bosst entire teams she has rez and she doesn’t have to be mechanically good to put out those huge numbers. Compared to Ana with the ult that can now heal for 300 and dmg boost one teammate, she can block heals which is really strong and has a skill shot cc ability, but the one thing that kills her is that the healing output to skill ratio is so lopsided, theres no reason to pick an Ana over Mercy

this nerf is as pansy as always. I wouldn’t even call it a nerf.
Mercy will still remain in the meta in my opinion and nothing will change until they REMOVE res as an ability.

2 Likes

Not, really?..

I mean, the orbs can either heal, or damage.

Utility = things outside of directly healing and damaging.

Mercy has resurrect, Zenyatta can increase the damage an enemy receives, Lucio has speed boost, etc.

16 Likes

Exactly remember like the past year when we nerfed Mercy like 5 times and she still remains to be the best support by a long shot, LUL. I don’t reallly take Mercy mains that complain about nerfs seriously.

I’m not 100% on this, but I’m pretty sure that they upped her hp/s because it was so low at 50. (Don’t kill me)

5 Likes

Get out of jail free Card? Maybe as long as your not going against a good widow player.

1 Like

She is still the only true healer. Zen has healing orb and can dps. Lucio has healing aura and can still dps. Ect. Mercy can heal damage boost a blind dps or not heal and show dps how it’s done.

2 Likes

Or because they had this crazy grandma healer coming out that had gignourmous amounts of healing.

Which they later nerfed into the ground.

But the Mercy heals stayed.

7 Likes