Mercy doesn't heal too much (with stats!)

I am the furthest from a Mercy main and I too believe this nerf is a bit excessive while also not addressing the real problem which IS inherently a problem as far as I am concerned. The fact that you do not see the problem despite literally pointing it out is why this keeps happening. Yes, she got baby nerfed like 5 times and it did nothing. Precisely why this change should not go through. You will probably make the same post in a few months. “She got nerfed like 6 times” and again early next year, “she got nerfed like 7 times” and so on, so forth, while she remains the best healer regardless.

Nobody enjoys their character getting nerfed regardless of whether it is warranted or not and that is why buffing struggling characters to achieve balance is more psychologically beneficial. Making their mains go through that a dozen of times is why they are salty af and obviously it is going to keep happening too.

This is definitely a bad change and it is going to go through regardless because everyone just wants her nerfed and they do not care how.

13 Likes

I’ve always felt that Mercy’s healing should be 50 hp per sec. There’s nothing suspicious about it.

1 Like

moira’s stats are a bit skewed since she’s specifically run with a team comp that she enables and can heal since all the heroes stack in a deathball

the fact that mercy has comparable heal stats to moira despite moira being the goddess of goats comp says a lot

I agree that Mercy should not get this nerf, the issue is with rez as an ability (shouldn’t have been reworked but that’s a dif post).

With your stats here is it possible to look at how much of those numbers are self healing? I feel as though that should also be examined.

I mean, rez is literally a burst heal. But sure.

1 Like

The top tiers, yes.

Even then, float by a wall.

You could make the argument that damage inflicted has less value than damage healed. You shouldnt compare it 1 to 1 in your analysis. Additionally the burst heal of rez should probably be counted higher. Would have to make a weighted average of all characters health.

Uh. No? It brings people back from the dead. You can’t heal corpses.

2 Likes

Her healing is still made up for by the power of the Valkyrie ult and its incredible sustain. So the single-target drop on her LMB isn’t too bad, but she will fall behind the curve if she dies too much or the team is too far scatter or isn’t flanking enough.

An ability that brings back 150+ health on use? Sounds like a burst heal.

Yes, resurrect is bringing back to life, but nonetheless it is a burst amount of health.

2 Likes

As a Mercy main, I agree. This nerf will do literally nothing besides cut out maybe 1k healing. She will still massively outshine the other supports, and that is due to this terrible rework.

4 Likes

It…really isn’t. I just don’t feel like I can even have a discussion with you about that lmao.

3 Likes

Moira’ s orbs aren’t utility all they do is extend what her base kit already does which is damage and healing meanwhile Ana can deny heals with bio nade and buff healing received, Lucio can boost his teammates speed, Brigitte can provide temporary armor with repair pack and permanent armor with rally, Zenyatta can make enemies receive more Damage, and Mercy can boost damage and revive her teammates.

5 Likes

but she heals stably, endlessly and through barriers

Lol. You silly goose

1 Like

Stop it. She does too much healing for the effort required (and I’m not talking about skill, but EFFORT). Forget about ress. A good Mercy (which I assume all you 500h+ Mercy mains are) can make it as if the whole teams being pocketed. Being able to mitigate incoming damage while someone is under pressure is what makes her so powerful, not just the raw numbers. Notice how those insanse team wipe Hanzo clips include a yellow beam in his PoV with his health going up and down? Exactly, that’s why pocketing is so powerful. It gives someone so much more room to breath even on otherwise losing situations, and guess by doing what? Only alternating between left click and right clicking. You can make someone virtually undying unless he gets immerse burst damage just by doing very simple actions with very little room for error. It’s TOO reliable.

Now compare that to a say, an Ana or Moira who competes for the main healer slot. If a DPS is under pressure the immediate action is of course, healing. But you can’t just pocket heal someone the same way a Mercy does. You’ll eventually run out of resources (reload on Ana, depleted charge on Moira) if you simply just heal. To make the best impact you need to alternate between healing and aiding offensively to end the battle quicker, while managing your resources carefully because the OTHER allies need attention too. All of this requires carefully managing your resources while keeping the smallest margin of error. Eg; Ana can miss her shots. And this window of error caused by mechanical skill in itself exist to differentiate a good Ana/Moira with a bad one. And what’s there for Mercy to take care of? Very little mechanically. I’m not saying there is no skill involved, but your attention span can be used for other things such a the game state when the other heroes (Ana/Moira) ALSO has to take care about positioning, resources, mechanical play AND the game state.

It’s not about requiring no skill. With the same experience on all heroes; Mercy, Moira and Ana, u simply contribute more to the team by doing less and with less room for error. It’s not rewarding for the other heroes if Mercy (just in terms of healing alone) is so much stronger in raw numbers and more reliable. The nerf is warranted. It IS the core problem of Mercy usage on all level of plays, from Bronze to Professional play. Her output is way too high compared to her input requirement, and that needs to be toned down. Leave ress as it is.

PS: I have equally large amount of hours on every main healers, I am in no way against Mercy just because I hate her. I understand her kit as well as I understand the others. Some cite ‘but this top 500 Mercy main says this and this’. Exactly. Does he/she have enough experience on other heroes? 200 hours each on all healers is better than 1000 hours on just one hero alone to understand hero balance.

9 Likes

Is not a reliable source for stats. Why? Because not even 50% of the playerbase use it. Since the private profiles upadate, data is even more unreliable.
Blizzard on the other hand does have the EXACT data on how much Mercy heals compared to others. They decided to nerf her healing because according to THEIR data, which BTW is accurate unike Overbuff, she healed more than the other healers.

Moira is SUPPOSED to heal more than Mercy, why are most Mercy mains so in denial about that fact. Moira brings 0 utility to the table and does only trash and chip damage. Her ult is “meh”, and she is very inefective in many teamcomps.

Plus you also need to look at self-healing stats. Brigittes and Moiras are quite high because they both heal themselves while doing damage. Also Brigittes repair pack also counts towards “armor” generated, even if that armor is not “used” and dissapears after a few seconds…

Contrary to the belief of the 200 Mercy mains on this forum who keep yelling in an echo chamber to reaffirm their views, Blizzard tries their best at balancing her as fair as possible.
Yes rez is still annoying, but they want to keep it in her base kit, like they promised when they reworked her. The next step wouuld be to remove it completely, then let’s be honest, it’s never balanceable even if it’s earned. But then you’d have a riot of Mercy mains because they would remove the core identity of Mercy.

1 Like

That is not a better way at all. So much of the dmg supports deal is just poke dmg to get their ults, it just gets healed right back up. Moira orb for example, when thrown into a whole team all it does is give her ult charge, the dmg isnt impactful as it easily gets healed back up. Trash dmg exists, trash healing doesnt. Its not a small nerf, but she will prob still be the best support to have, due to rez, dmg boost, and being the most consistent healer who is best at pocketing.

??? Its very obvious why they are high, she is the best support. Not hard to figure out, there is a reason why people pick mercy even when they dislike playing her.

1 Like

This. If you play all healers evenly, you know straight up Mercy is the best, safest and most reliable pick for victory. This is the problem with one trick hero mains (not just Mercy), they have a closed and narrow vision of the overall landscape because said hero is the only option they locked upon themselves. As someone who can play DPS, Tank and Support evenly on my SR level, I know to switch to Ana if there’s an opposing PharMercy that is troubling us, with the DPS having difficulty to kill her. What do Mercy one tricks do? Blame the DPS for being unable to kill Pharah down. Yes, I limit the amount of healing to my team if I spend my attention shooting a PharMercy, but pocket healing someone who doesn’t have the skill or knowledge to deal with PharMercy ends with the same result, except I am actually CHALLENGING my self and accept the burden instead of just being blameless and pass the responsibility to others for failure.

If you have first hand knowledge of one and only one hero, your view will be skewed because you lack the understanding of the limitations and potential of other options. Dont go around saying pros don’t know Mercy as much as Mercy mains with 1000 hours. They play for a living, using the most reliable option is in their best interest.

2 Likes

+1

I am a Mercy main by a large margin 400+hrs, but I am far from a one-trick. With 100hrs on Ana, 50 on Tracer and 50 on Dva, I think I can look at the whole situation more neutral.
Mercy should not be able to pump out the amount of healing she has now. All she needs to do is point and click and she’s able to save a squishy against 2 opponents who are not playing Hanzo, DF and Widow. This is the reason why their pickrates is so high, because nothing dies through Mercys pocket without OHKO.
Most of us do not have T500/ Pine -like aim. Most of us quite “suck” at aiming and are happy we have a 40% accuracy on a good day, usually it’s less.
It’s hrad to kill someone with that accuracy through a Mercy pocket. If you try to go for the Mercy, she just flies away while you’ve used your resources to jump her. A good Mercy is uncatchable, even for an amazing flanker. IF she then gets peel from 1 or 2 teammates, you’re basically wasting time going for her, unless you can instakill her (ult, Widow, DF, Hanzo). It’s hard to kill a Mercy as Tracer, especially when she knows how to spam her GA.

Most Mercy Mains cannot see that side because they are never or really seldom on it. Ofcourse it doesn’t feel like Mercy is OP when you’re playing her against a team with one too. Ofcourse she always feels good when you have her on your team while playing another healer like Ana or Moira. But if you’re the Ana or Moira on the enemy team, trying to solo-heal while being harassed by Genji and Tracer and watching the enemy Mercy just efortlessly swoop around avoiding your flankers and healing her team in ez mode, you’ll understand the pain the other supports feel. It’s usually a sign of defeat for me and I switch to Mercy and we start rolling again. Coincidence? No, no other support can keep up with a Mercy heal, even if you land 80% of your shots as Ana, Mercy still outheals you.

Many Mercy mains argue that rez is the problem, quite frankly, no it isn’t. It’s her healing and the fact she has no real weakness.

• AOE heals? Check in Valk
  • High mobility? Check, on a 1.5s CD
  • most reliable healing? Check, no need to be concerned about barriers, DM and aiming

Remove the chain healing in Valk, make the beam 90hp/s during Valk. Mercy will have a weakness and will be balanced.

5 Likes