Mercy bottom line

True.

It’s a little more nuanced than that; Usually, if people disagree with my pick or my play style, they tend to let me know in text chat (oftentimes in a rather toxic way), if there’s no voice that. Given that I got no feedback, whatsoever (be that voice or otherwise), I conclude that people don’t care. (Or, at least not enough to let me know)

1 Like

so, again, without meaning to put words in your mouth - the experience of these 5 games, where no one complained, means that no one (universally) cares about Valkyrie?

Do I really need to preface everything I say with, “In my experience”, or “in my opinion”? Like, really?

Nah that’s Megadodo’s gimmick

although it is annoying how people complain about Mercy tend to the exact opposite and start every statement claiming that it’s fact

1 Like

I know you don’t. People like to pretend that Mercy is this invincible she-devil, that they forget that she used to be considered a troll pick in the days of and before the triple tank meta. But then she got her invincible buff to her mass rez, Ana got nerfed to oblivion similar to Mercy, and a bunch of streamers gave her the reputation that she has today.

Let me give you a little history lesson here on how Ana avoided being the forum Grinch, and how Mercy ended up taking the fall.

July 19, 2016

Ana

• Added to the game

Mercy

• Guardian Angel instantly resets upon use
  • Mass Rez no longer prevents Mercy from moving (note that at this point, mass rez did not have its invincibility yet)

Developer Notes: Mercy’s ultimate is one of the most powerful abilities in the game; however, players would often fly into the fray and die while using it. With this update, Resurrect will now take a bit longer to charge, but Mercy will be a lot safer when activating the ability in the middle of combat.

July 26, 2016

Ana

• Rate of fire increased by 20%
  • Mag size increased by 2

Developer Comments: While Ana has been very well received, she was showing to be a little bit weaker overall. In addition to helping her feel better to play, these changes should also increase her healing and damage output.

September 1, 2016

Mercy

• HPS increased by 20%
  • Rezzed allies can now move after 2.25 seconds (formerly 3 seconds)

Developer Comments: Resurrection now allows teammates to jump back into the fight more quickly, which should help Mercy survive after activating her ultimate. Mercy’s healing is also getting a boost to solidify her role as a strong, single-target healer.

October 11, 2016

Ana

• Ult cost increased by 20%
  • Grenade radius increased by 1 meter

Developer Comments: So far, we haven’t seen any indication that Ana is too strong overall, but her ultimate charges a little too fast, especially considering the impact it can have on a match. Also, her Biotic Grenades are getting a small boost to help her hit multiple targets.

November 15, 2016

Ana

• Speed boost removed from Nano Boost

Developer Comments: The increased speed from Ana’s Nano Boost made the ability feel unstoppable and forced Ana players to select targets that could really take advantage of the speed boost. Removing the speed boost means that Ana has a reason to apply Nano Boost to a larger variety of heroes, and enemies can fend off the attack more easily.

Mercy

• Passive healing activates after 1 second of not taking damage (formerly three seconds)

Developer Comments: This change allows Mercy to survive more easily by evading enemy fire.

January 24, 2017

Ana

• Grenade’s effect has been reduced by 1 second & bonus healing reduced by 50%. It was here that triple tank just about died.

Developer Comments: The healing boost from Ana’s Biotic Grenade was providing too much healing, especially when used on targets with large health pools.

February 28, 2017

Mercy

• The infamous mass rez is born as she now becomes invincible during the casting. Now with Ana dead, the hate could solely funnel around Mercy.

Developer Comments: Mercy’s Resurrect has always been very powerful, but it often forces her to sacrifice herself to use it well. There have been changes in the past that attempted to help her in this area, but haven’t done enough to solve it. This change means that once she uses the ability, she will always survive long enough to be with her team again.

The reason you never saw it is because you missed it. Season 5 began May 31, 2017. Months after Ana got gutted, and Mercy got the buff that put her on top. People seem to conveniently forget the year that Mercy spent being considered a troll pick. She received buff after buff for a kit that wasn’t even that busted. The only reason she got reworked is because Ana fell at the right time. These patches prove it.

And remember: These are facts (for those that seem to care). None of that opinion BS.

3 Likes

Ana can’t heal while doing damage. She needs to either shoot a friendly or an enemy. She can’t hit both.
Moira needs to use her orb, or she needs to use her beam. Both stop her healing.

a bit disingenious no? thats not the only reason…heck doesnt even mention the one reason they did give that most people tend to jump down their throats for

but at least youre actually on topic…REASONS WHY DEVS FELT NEED TO CHANGE HER…the point of thread was for people to talk about what the reasoning would be now for devs chaning current mercy…but not surprisingly (i did call it in the OP) people are more concerned with trying to figure out what version of mercy they would like to see (hint: they prob all would work)…instead of what needs to happen for a change to even take place…

everyone wants to discuss the changes but noone seems to understand that the devs are the ones that have to decide to change them…not them…that part needs to change first (and frankly i dont see it happening)

While the orb is in flight, she can do whatever. My point therefore stands.

It deals 20 dps…
While mercy can deal 73 dps.

That’s pretty easy: certain people need to be let go. They were removed from other games where the balance was trash, and those games literally improved with the very next patch that was put out after those people left. Why do new teams at Blizzard always end up with another team’s rejects?

now thats an interesting take i havent heard…a stretch…but could actually be true :sweat_smile:

I’ve heard EU is much worse than NA.

To be completely honest, Ive played of EU before, and the ping isnt really noticeable. I would say come on over to NA.

I may have gotten hate, but I sure as hell don’t remember it. I just remember getting showered with love when I would rez and help win the fight.

Im sorry people put you through that. :/.

Or, y’know, use the mobility you have to evade the incoming damage? Like a half decent player would? I dont know about you, but I didn’t hide behind a dumpster all game, and I dont ever plan to.

You cant say that, and, honestly I can’t either.

Which means there’s only one way to find out :wink:

Your opinions are not mine, no matter how brashly and angrily you yell them.

I did play on the NA servers for some hours and the situation was much better on the NA servers. Unfortunately I’ve found that timezone difference makes it really quite difficult to play on the NA servers. I end up playing with quite young people who don’t take the game seriously during reasonable hours (after all, the time difference is between 6 and 9 hours). So, NA servers aren’t really an option anyways…

ok well I didn’t ask for all of this, I’ve mained mercy since season 5 and I just hadn’t noticed that she had a decline in usage since then.

not an opinion, just the fact that I didn’t notice/care to notice because I loved to play Mercy

I have to actually pull out my pistol and kill people for me to make room to heal.
Otherwise, that person can kill my team mate, without headshots, just all body shots.
Why is it fine that another support stands a chance at killing a Mercy’s team mate in a 2v1?
I watched it happen, a Soldier was fighting a Moira with a Mercy healing them. Mercy’s healing could not heal more than then right-click and the Moira threw a damage orb and the Soldier died, which gave her the chance to follow up and kill the Mercy. A Moira 1v2’ed and won. But that is totally fine, that doesn’t show that Mercy’s healing is comparatively garbage for someone who is supposed to be consistent. A Soldier shouldn’t have to peel to get healed against one Moira in a 2v1 situation.

1 Like

Soldier has biotic field, which completely stops Moira’s beam from doing any damage. Mercy and Soldier can heal the same as a Moira beam and orb. Soldier can run away from Moira. Soldier can do a lot more damage than Moira. If he somehow dies, Mercy can kill Moira and resurrect the dead soldier. You gave a really bad example.

Hm? Who you going to GA to when your team is getting grav combo’d? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If Mercy does in the ult spam, there is no way she can counter it. Simple as that.

Did I somehow imply my opinion is universal or the same as yours specifically? No.

I stand by what I said. Mass rez was a trash ult, IMHO, ofc. Adding caveats like LoS cast time no invuln etc just makes it worse. Not worth attempting.

Implying Zarya gets a five man grav every time.

Or theres a Zarya on the enemy team.
She isnt necessary for six people to press Q

Which is why I said you can evade it and work your magic after.

Which is why most of the time damage reduction is suggested, along with a new E, both of which would allow chances to rez, as well as counterplay

I understand the nuances and variables involved in a 6v6 match up etc. Why are you wanting to deep dive into this?

In order for Mercy to counter ult spam, or any of that noise, she must have her mass rez ult available, and she must survive.

In an ult spam situation, against a competent team playing, as you say, “like a half decent player would” she will be one of the first to die. It’s this sort of element that rendered it a pretty trash ult used mostly just to bring a Pharah that got picked back up.

“Just evade it LUUUUL 4head.” Its ult spam man. “Half decent” players are going to tee the ult spam off your head. If I’m Zarya, I’m dropping the grav where you are. Then the spam follows. It’s not difficult.

Mass rez was a trash ult due to stuff like this.

Would have to be quite the magical E ability to offset a trash tier ult. And that’s another whole cycle of swing balancing like the rework was.

Nah. No thanks.

I literally had an Orisa die while I was healing her as ONE character was shooting her. That one character? Mercy. There were literally no other characters on the screen. So no. 50 hps is not enough.

2 Likes