Mei QoL Changes and Small Buffs ❄️

I know something that will help to make mei’s ice wall more bearable to her teammates, when somebody first picks mei there should be a tip that pops up right infront of her screen that let’s you know how to break her ice wall.

There’s too many who don’t know this feature exists…

1 Like

I would judge Mei’s balance state, but I can’t tell since she literally cannot perform her role properly. Cryo-freeze cast time makes for terrible interactions, the wall has a bunch of issues, and her ult gets interrupted at random times (throwing it, getting stunned, losing it). I hope the devs fix her, because she’ll never be a reliable pick if she’s broken like this.

1 Like

Cryo-freeze actually doesn’t have a cast time and it’s a bug that they said they were going to fix awhile ago but never did…sigh

Really? I’m very sure the cast time was implemented in a stealth nerf a couple years ago.

1 Like

Nope, it has to do with latency, that’s why projectiles like hanzo’s arrows or roadhog’s hook are likely to hit you even though you activated cryo-freeze.

Edit: here’s their response with their infamously trademarked soon

2 Likes

Personally i think Mei it’s pretty fine but she needs more:

1. Getting fixed all the bugs and issues she has, that makes her cryofreeze and her ultimate unreliable, switching them to favor the defender and reverting the ultimate’s behavior to the original state (if you died or got stunned, the ultimate used to cast and active anyway)
  2. About the reload in cryofreeze i think it’s not strictly necessary because it’s like a trade off, but if this buff should be made i would be ok for a partial reload over time of max 100 ammos.
  1. About the reload after ulting i think would be a nice addiction, because you would have again 200 ammos and you could try to squeeze the max out from her ultimate. BTW is not strictly necessary

2. Fix the ice wall placing, because sometimes the wall spawns in non intended places instead of the wanted one. Also the wall blueprint should be visible to teammates to allow more coordination (change proposed by XodiaK)

BTW i link here the Mei-gathread, where anyone can discuss about Mei’s issues and possible buffs:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/mei-gathread-its-almost-2-years-and-mei-still-has-unfixed-bugs

1 Like

The best example I have of this is this video:

Wonky Ice-Wall

2 Likes

They responded in a thread that was about Mei’s Cryo-Freeze being interrupted by Roadhog’s hook AND being put on cooldown.

The ability doesn’t go on cooldown anymore if Mei is hooked out of it.

Maybe they were talking about this?

3 Likes

Correct, it has to do with latency, beyond roadhog’s hook there’s also hanzo that can still shoot you in the head and many other scenarios where favor the shooter overrides mei’s cryo-freeze, all they needed to do was make cryo-freeze favor the defender like blink, wraith form of deflect but they said “soon” so they’ll never fix it.

2 Likes

Haha I understand, I’d say Jardio’s fix for the wall cooldown is perfect. Pretty sure he’s like the highest rated Mei player on ladder if I remember? If not he’s fkin high up :slight_smile: .

The other ideas are mine & while I’m unranked, I play quite a bit of Mei. I’m also aware my ideas could be a bit much by far xD.

2 Likes

Good idea, hadn’t even thought of this.

But one would think it’s more start the cooldown at 5.5 seconds if broken immediately, instead of ~10 seconds.

3 Likes

That’s what I meant I’m sure…
At present, the cooldown for Mei’s wall is 10 seconds from the point in time that you set the wall, with the wall able to last up to 5 seconds.
Jardio’s change makes the cooldown 5 seconds from the point in time that the wall is broken by you or the wall’s own 5 second duration expires.
It keeps the max duration & time between walls basically the same, whilst not punishing you for using quicker & often equally as necessary walls.

Sense?

2 Likes

Yeah makes sense now. Cooldown would be 5.5 seconds after wall is broken.

Regardless if it was broken early, or placed for the full duration.

3 Likes

That’s the ticket!
Yeah good point, the wall breaking animation will eat into that time too so 5.5 is probably closer to what it actually ends up being :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m 99% certain that a 3% increase in Mei’s pick rate will cause the community to completely forget that they hate Brig.

1 Like

Personally i would like some qol changes for mei.

Primary fire: I like it as it is right now. If anything i would adjust the tracking slightly or bump the range slightly so you can hit people at the bottom of your ice wall.

Secondary fire: The charge up before firing feels weird but i like that it raises the skill floor for mei slightly.

Icewall: a couple things have been mentioned that i like about it. i wouldn’t do all of them but i think some of them would be a decent. Making it visible to teammates before firing it would be a wonderful QOL update for everyone else on the team.

1. Bouncing people into the air sounds fun. I have had countless times where the wall came just short of what i needed it to for mobility reasons.
  2. Make it taller/have more health. I dont like this.
  3. Reduced cooldown for early cancel. I kind of like this idea but i would worry about it being too powerful, to flicker it. I would consider dropping 1/4th the cooldown if canceled early.
    Edit: 4. I have wondered how good it could be if you could also place it on walls. making it shoot sidways as either a vertical wall or a floor/ceiling.

Cryofreeze: Overall i like where it is at.

1. Someone mentioned that it should reload your ammo when you leave it. I disagree with that idea, I like the idea of it healing you and then refilling your ammo with anything left over.
  2. Someone mentioned giving it some damage if you land on someone with it. I like this idea, considering the cooldown and it would only be useful in specific situations. I would give it some damage and either a stun or a knock back.

Blizzard: I like where it is at except the ease that it gets wasted via stuns. I would have it drop at your feet after a certain point in the animation instead of being lost. I dont think it needs a reload.

1. Longer duration would be nice.
  2. I would love for it to build a low icewall around the outer edge, something that needs to be jumped over.
  3. I like the idea of it dealing damage over time after leaving it for the duration that you were in it.
  4. It needs to build a snowman with snowball as its head in the center.
2 Likes

I’m a Mei main and she’s fine the way she is (except for dying in iceblock). The only thing on my wish list is a mobility move where she expends ammo to freeze the ground and slide across it. (think Frozone).

1 Like

I think this could be too hard to manage or even code. Ice can hit the floor so easily with her spray that there’d be instances of speed boosting everywhere.
& forcing you to build an uninterrupted line of ice to move on, or guiding it as you slide could be just plain bad xD. The latter might work.

I think it’d be interesting if she retained momentum when using Cryo-Freeze; sliding on the slick base of the ice block. This would mean you can only move in one direction during this (or you turn/strafe super slowly), but you would move faster than normal & possibly dealing damage & knockback when sliding through enemies?

2 Likes

It would be the same as soldier using shift to sprint, except the ammo count would be effected. Pressing the key would auto-point the blaster to the ground in front of her.

1 Like

Ok, but what key?
Why have a key that does the exact same thing as her primary fire, but just only at the ground?

1 Like