[Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

I’d like to talk about drinking coffee in my comfy pants, is that what goes on here?

What do you mean exactly?

It is broken “intentionally”, i.e. the currently intended design and balancing just don’t work out/make sense. Not the first time this happens. Not that it is a big deal since balancing is a hard job and doesn’t usually start off perfectly.
But it becomes an issue when ignored.

YOU may not consider it a bug. I do.
Just as with Tracer’s blink and Zenyatta’s ultimate.
Latency is of course a big factor in the cause of this. Doesn’t mean it’s the only one and in fact the video on their youtube channel where they elaborate about OW’s netcode even suggests that it is not even a crucial factor but either a design decision or not even intended.
They mention the favor-the-shooter principle they use. Which guarantees damage will be applied to your target when the bullet/projectile hits it on your screen, except there was an ability involved that can mitigate the damage, e.g. Reapers wraithform!
See these points in the video where they mention this:
h ttps://youtu.be/vTH2ZPgYujQ?t=66
h ttps://youtu.be/vTH2ZPgYujQ?t=582

And frankly, if you think a bit about it, this intention of the netcode behavior makes sense: If your character has a defensive/evasive ability, you shouldn’t be punished for reacting fast enough on your screen. It makes no sense to have a defensive/evasive ability which has a smaller and smaller time window to use effectively the higher latency becomes - up to the point where the attacker can just bypass the ability because latency makes it logistically and literally impossible for you to react.
So why isn’t cryo freeze and the ice wall in the list of the exceptions to the favor-the-shooter principle? It should be apparent to anyone who played Mei for a few hours that they definitely fall victim to this principle.

3 Likes

What I meant with “not broken” is that it’s not a bug, but rather bad balancing.

I rather see the changes reverted. I don’t understand how transformation ultimates aren’t affected by Stuns but projectile ultimates are. That’s just backwards.

I don’t know why they are ignoring this subject for so long but it needs to be addressed. Projectile ultimates shouldn’t dissappear mid air. That’s just unfair and inconsitent.

I was talking about Mei’s ability going on cool down if she was hooked out of it. It’s already bad enough you can get pulled out of it but also having the ability on cool down is just overkill.
Mei getting hooked out of it is something I do consider a bug.

I’m even the one who made this thread which got a response from Geoff:

I’m sorry if I phrased it wrong and wasn’t clear about it.

But I do want this bug fixed. It has been in the game for too long.

You’re talking about favor-the-defender, right?

Any shot mispredicted against a dashing Genji, Mercy, Tracer or Doomfist is deliberate. A handful of other abilities exhibit this behavior as well (Winston/Pharah Leap, Sombra translocate, etc.) We have rules in place where we will not favor the shooter if your target executes one of these maneuvers. This is a trade-off that we have made to accommodate the realities of the internet.

I never understood why Mei’s abilities doesn’t has that. Roadhog can pull Mei out of Cryo-Freeze so it’s clear Mei’s Cryo-Freeze doesn’t has it. It’s a defensive ability, but it seems only the mobile abilities got that treatment.

I know Mei’s Ice-Wall doesn’t has it, but has shields like Reinhardt’s shield, Zarya’s bubbles and Orisa’s shield favor-the-defender?

1 Like

Yeah, I think I know what you’re saying. I just wanted to stress that it doesn’t really matter if it is intentional design or an unintentional bug.
The single most important thing is that it comes across as broken. Whether their game design department thinks it should be that way or not or whether their coders implemented it as designed or slipped in a bug.
Neither is better than the other.
Neither mitigates the problem or makes it somehow ok for it to be in the game.

I agree.

Yes, I know.
I was talking about the situation where it doesn’t go on cooldown, but you are still hooked out of it or killed AFTER you triggered it. I do consider that absolutely broken, whether intended or not.

Yes. I think that would be the suitable term for it. In their video they just addressed it as “exception to favor the shooter”.

I can only guess but it doesn’t sound too unrealistic to me that they didn’t give Mei that treatment just because of the old argument of “people think she’s too oppressive and don’t enjoy being frozen by her. Since people already think she’s the devil, we better not be fair towards her”.

1 Like

GENERAL UPDATES
All heroes in the Defense and Offense categories have been merged into a new category: Damage
Developer Comments: Since the line between Offense and Defense heroes has become increasingly blurred, we’ve decided to group all those heroes into a single new “Damage” category. We believe that the term more closely matches the role name used in Overwatch League and across most of our community.

They couldn’t break the trinity (DPS/Healer/Tank), so they just lumped them all together.

Mei
Fixed a bug that prevented Mei from receiving environmental kill credit if her targets were frozen
Fixed a bug that caused Mei’s projectiles to appear that they weren’t passing through friendly barriers

Nothing on fixing killed in cryofreeze bug… I just checked and Jardio has been killed 390 in cryofreeze since he started tracking it… sighs

*notes from the PTR

2 Likes

Curious about Mei’s viability once Sym goes live, that new teleporter is gonna be a pain for Mei’s wall.

It will definitely be harder to defend choke points, but the teleporter only has 300 HP. And can Mei can insta destroy that teleporter with her wall?

Oh, that is worth testing! Although as it’s only 300 hp might not even be worth using the wall on it :joy:

wouldnt worry too much about that TP. If anything you can use your wall to put teleporting enemies straight into a scenario where their backs are to your wall, not to mention the disorientation people get from going through the tp, so if you stand behind it and just freeze whatever comes out it’ll take m almost a full second more to react.

The only thing i think Mei’s have to slightly worry about is her ult, and that would also mean that you’re facing an enemy team that’s smart enough to use that shield to prevent getting frozen.
Mei has always worked quite well against Sym unless she already had full charge beams, I don’t think anything about the rework is gonna change that

1 Like

No idea. Need someone to test out what happens when you place Mei’s wall on the TP.

Regardless, I think the TP might actually be a good thing for Mei. You’ll know where it is and when you see enemies sprinting towards them, you might be able to wall them off before they get that far.

The teleporter could have a drawback: enemies needs to get back on point, 2-3 enemies get back on point, you pop the blizzard and they freeze. How well Mei synergizes with Sym? I remeber time ago Surefour played Mei with a strange composition that included Sym

I don’t know, maybe. You have to time your ult right of course. Plus when people pop out I’m sure they’ll have their movement abilities which’ll help them just avoid freezing anyway.

Mei + Sym can be deadly. Turret slow and Mei slow is painful right now as an example.

Also I saw that someone testing Mei’s wall slightly with against a TP. Not sure if friendly/enemy matters, but the wall either lifts the TP on top of the wall or nudges it out of the way.

2 Likes

Wow, also i tried the new Sym’s ultimate: if Mei and Sym becomes meta, this is the good time we get the Berlin wall meta!

Depends, if i throw the drone very close to the portal they will struggle more

they can just insta-teleport back if they want to get out.

Which reminds me that i need to test something, because i’m afraid Blizzard might have forgotten about this. It wouldn’t surprise me if frozen targets can still teleport.

1 Like

They can. Even when they were hit with the sleepdart can they teleport.
They can even teleport out of Zarya’s Graviton Surge.

The interaction key is being used to teleport and the interaction key is a communication action. Communication doesn’t get disabled when you are stunned.

yep, just tested it. good to know.
On the bright side, if sym puts down her TP as she’s starting to get frozen, then you can freeze her before she reaches it (since it gets placed in front of her). So she can use it to save other’s quite reliably but not herself.

Mei’s ult sometimes just flat out fails.
watch?v=oVuMwAZN9AA&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

seems like it slipped through the small crack in the floor there

1 Like

But you can see it on the ground in the video