[Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

At the eyes of a unexperienced player or someone that says things as a parrot without trying in depth could sound like this, but if trying her a lot more many discover she needs skill and she’s not easy to play

McCree VS Mei matchup discussion.

In my experience, McCree will win against you. He can kill you faster. Baiting the flashbang and freezing is not enough, he will hit shots on you while you try to freeze him and simply kill you.

Let’s face it, it’s harder to hit shots as Mei than it is as McCree at MEDIUM range. Also, McCree’s fire rate is much faster. Who wasn’t in a situation where you needed that last shot but, right as the icicle was loading in the blaster, McCree already landed TWO shots on you and killed you? It feels very bad.

Do you agree, Mei players?

1 Like

As long as I can successfully bait out his flash, I (as Mei) will win against McCree 9 times out of ten.

Also you can always wall him and run for safety.

I kinda agree: a good McCree will try to bait your cryofreeze before you bait his stun, and he has the advantage of faster fire ratio. Freezing him in time or engaging from medium distance and placing good headshots can save you

It seems Mei receiveed some changes on PTR as well:

Hmm. The damage buff is nice, but not really needed imo. Still nice though :grin:
I can understand the changes to Icewall though, and to be honest, I’m fine it.

What about you guys?

2 Likes

I’d rather have BUG FIXES but ok. Seems to be every time they touch Mei.

“I didn’t order that but I guess I’ll take it, thanks.”

As for the wall, I think someone mentioned before if they make it weaker then they should make it available more often. No shortening of the cooldown here it seems.

I think there are a few other ways they could have “solved” this “issue”. One would be to make it more obvious which pillar teammates are attacking. A better visual cue on which pillar was taking damaged or which one had its health pool lowered would be one type of suggestion.

2 Likes

I will try them soon in PTR.
Personally i think was kinda not needed the primary fire buff, but it’s always welcome.
I understand the wall nerf, because it was damn hard to destroy, and now could give more chanches for enemies to breach it. (I also think this nerf was made to prevent haters from crying)

But still, i will continue to say all my awesome blasphemies in venetian, tuscanian and Germano Mosconi style, because i will continue to get killed in cryofreeze and see my ultimate disappearing

2 Likes

Was it too hard to destroy or was it that teams weren’t coordinated enough to focus on certain sections to open up a pathway?

I’m just asking this out of genuine curiosity as I’m not great at math or anything like that but, wouldn’t reducing the cooldown in lockstep with the health decrease just make it how it was prior to the health decrease?

Probably not wording that properly, but in other words, wouldn’t it effectively be the same thing but with both values (health and cooldown) just lower now?

EDIT: Changed damage to health to be more clear

That could happen yes. I’m just saying that was an example where I heard people wanted the wall’s health reduced.

EDIT: Also, by buffing Mei’s attack won’t that increase her ult charging speed a little again?

1 Like

Honestly I agree. I feel like the Ice Wall definitely needs a visual for damaged pillars

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t understand the changes to the icewall. It’s not like half the roster have mobility to get over the thing (and they just added yet another), and a Bastion or Junkrat get rid of it easy. This wasn’t necessary at all. And they still can’t fix her damn bugs. Also, they nerfed beam weapons against armour, so Mei is actually weaker to tanks now too.

It was indeed not necessary. I already considered Mei balanced before these changes.

It feels like they want to make her less tanky and more like a DPS’er.

It’s probably also done to make Mei feel less oppressive by adding more counterplay to it. (Maybe.)

What I don’t understand is that they buffed her primary fire to make the freeze+icicle more potent. It was already pretty potent. Was this something that was asked for?

But is Mei’s weapon truly a beam weapon?
Does the changes also apply on projectile based sprays?

1 Like

No, I don’t think it is a beam. Those would be Zarya and Sym if you asked me.

1 Like

Then why is it when I play mei, i can usually outdo any other dps on the teams I am on? Gold average elims in excess of 25. This isn’t and can’t be an issue with what I am being grouped with all the time. So I’m sorry, can’t agree with the DPS roster outclassing her.

There is a reason why players say gold medals doesn’t matter.

It’s because it doesn’t. You only need to deal a little bit of damage and as soon if someone else kill that enemy, will you be rewarded with an assist. The medals however tends to consider it as an elimination.

This is why Moira tends to get a gold medal for this as well.

Statistically they are. And so is the tank roster.

Click on the tab “Primary” and then click on the word “Damage”. You can see that Mei deals the lowest average damage of all DPS’ers AND tanks.

3 Likes

Hmmm I’m honestly not sure, the primary fire buff is good because whenever there is a healer(especially Ana) helping the enemy you’re trying to kill they can easily survive the freeze > headshot combo and kill you so hopefully things should be a little better now.
The Ice Wall nerf is fine by me mostly because no one even bothered shooting the old wall since it felt like by the time you killed it, it probably would have melted anyway. I hardly ever saw someone intentionally damaging it.
But then again I still wish they would buff her in ways that reward the most skilled and dedicated Mei mains, because I think this is the easiest way to buff her without making her the ultimate low elo cheese hero, yet Blizzard only ever seems to buff her primary fire :woman_shrugging:.
The Cyro Freeze “bug” is also super annoying especially when dealing with Roadhog or snipers, making you die even if you had the reaction time to Shift before being hit, yet they never touch it. Also shatter can get through the Ice Wall while it is still on the building up animation, which means even if you predict shatter you are only likely to save yourself with Shift instead of your team, since Cyro Freeze actually works against Shatter.
Overall I’m glad they aren’t ignoring her but I wish they would address things that almost every Mei main is complaining about first before making these “lets try and see if this works” changes.
It’s not like we want Mei to be god tier or anything, those are just good quality of life changes that are a good start to make her better, and It’s been quite a while that those bugs are known to the community, they fixed the Pulse Bomb auto-stick glitch so I have faith they will one day also fix these.

I do wonder if the nerfed wall will now melt like butter behind Baptista’s +DMG wall.

His “no death” ability will be very annoying for finishing off targets inside of Blizzard too.

1 Like

Not really.

Mei can freeze the flying object. Once it is frozen will it stop working. If it is being used in blizzard will it simply get frozen.

It currently isn’t on PTR due to a bug:

Continuing the discussion from 1.34 Known Issues:

2 Likes