Mei And Reaper buff speculations

Would you consider doing away with the recovery if you waited the full duration then?

If thatā€™s the case his biggest weaknesses will still be present in that he doesnā€™t have a gap closer, while Tracer and other superior Reapers will, with more damage from longer range.

Honestly if thereā€™s no other bonus then Tracer will still largely be the more complete Reaper and thereā€™s still no point to him.

A random guess for Mei:

Her cryofreeze freezes enemies at close range similar to her primary fire, making it harder to gather around and wait her out to kill her when she uses it.

Thatā€™d really hurt most tanks as being forced to keep some distance can make it difficult for many of them to actually kill her. Orisa being the exception in that scenario.

Iā€™d like to know how many other characterā€™s, Especially the DPS characters, Have Recovery time after using their Mobility abilities in combat?

I think the answer is none, correct me if Iā€™m wrong.
And thatā€™s what makes them strong.

So recognizing that Reaper needs mobility because every other hero has it and thatā€™s what makes heroes strong in this game is great.
But then immediately gimping it when other heroes do not suffer the same plight makes next to no sense.

You guys might want to rethink that.
Again, Mobility makes a strong Hero. Especially DPS.
Donā€™t give a DPS character what heā€™s lacking only then to immediately gimp it.

Either decide on making him more mobile like the rest of the playerbase,
Or decreasing fall off and spread making him more reliable at his ranges,and not matched by other characterā€™s that should not be filling his role.

6 Likes

I donā€™t know if it would specifically make him better against tanks, but it would make playing against him less predictable and countable. Think of it like Meiā€™s ice block; If you couldnā€™t cancel it at any time your opponents would always know exactly when you would pop out of it.

I donā€™t think its necessarily a bad mechanic. Being able to cancel abilities doesnā€™t create un-counterable plays, it gets rid of un-avoidable damage waiting for you as soon as deflect, wraith, or even ice block ends. I think less predictability and more options actually creates a larger potential for skill to shine through even with small changes like this.

the difference here is she is immediately active upon exiting and thereā€™s no visual tell for her leaving the block thatā€™s perceivable. Same for Genji, no start up time, and can cancel out with no warning WHILE DOING DAMAGE, Tracer doesnā€™t have any delay as far as I know or have observed, and finally most of these defensive abilities are factored in before favor the shooter which means theyā€™re reactive.

Wraith form is predictive, which means heā€™s still gotta be careful and try to read the move before it happens, unlike everyone else who just has to act when it happens.

1 Like

watch as all these buffs make reinhardt even worse.

1 Like

The only reason to cancel Wraith early would be if youā€™re facing someone solo with a long reload or to capitalize on a sudden distraction or opportunity by popping out to attack.

But adding an attack delay kind of makes that moot.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s another reason, if you successfully bait an ability, you can then cancel and persue. Or you know, if you f%^$ up or mis click.
But like you said, kinda moot when the only abilities I can think of are the hook where Hog one shots you anyway, and Genji who is too fast.

If the cooldown was reactive like Tracerā€™s blink or Genjiā€™s deflect it might work.

Exactly my point. All the DPS heroes have mobility options with no delay to firing their weapons or other abilities right after.

Yet youā€™re going to gimp an already weak hero.

3 Likes

There are multiple Mei megathreads to check out for ideas. Iā€™d do a forum search for Mei and start reading.

a ā€œdelayā€ before shooting with wraith will probably only be if you cancel wraith before it finishes. Not that you canā€™t shoot after but there is a slight delay before you canā€¦you know go from invincible to a dps machine up close

If thereā€™s no speed boost he wouldnā€™t be able to do this in most situations anyway, but you know who can? Tracer, and sheā€™s a lot harder to hit.

2 Likes

There would need to be a delay to fire your shotguns after you come out of wraith though

If reaper could cancel wraith whenever he wanted and then shoot immediately after that, that would be really huge, bigger than most people might think. And it would leave very little counter play up close for a 250 health character

1 Like

The goal is to prevent a potential Tank Meta with these buffs, so I wouldnā€™t be surprised

You say this, but he has no means of engagement, and again, Tracer already does this. On paper, Reaper does the same amount of dps a second going by the wiki 20 pellets x 7 damage a pop x 2. Versus 12 x 20 a second. 240 damage form both Reaper and Tracer right?

The thing is, Tracer has a much tighter spread than Reaper, she also has way more range and several engagement and disengagement options. So even if you let him instantly cancel his wraith, heā€™s still hitting less shots on average because of his spread, and he has no means to get close on average. Additionally, Tracerā€™s dashes take priority over incoming fire, wraith form doesnā€™t so itā€™s much harder for him to dodge things with it, shouldnā€™t he be rewarded for dodging in that case?

The only disadvantage Tracer has over him is her low hp pool, but this is more than negated by her tiny hitbox, much like Reaperā€™s high hp is negated by his giant hitbox.

So unless heā€™s getting extreme buffs, Tracer is the better Reaper and will continue to be, while having nothing done to bring her in line. While it looks like Reaper will continue to just trade effectiveness for situational buffs.

3 Likes

By ignore armor, I think he means ignore armors effects, making armor effectively regular hp for reaper.

The reasoning for this buff is that as a character that is toted as the premier tank buster, he struggles immensely against armor.

Against armor, assuming he hit every shot, and isnt critboxing, he will do a max of 70 damage per shot.

If all of his pellets crit, he will do 180 per shot.

To put this in perspective, reaper can do 140 dps against armor (non crit) at a max of 11 meters.

Soldier 76 can do 126 dps against armor (non crit) at a max of 30 meters

1 Like

im not speaking on tracers, sheā€™s a 150 nimble style hero.

it takes more work for reaper to get in but once he is in the mix him being able to wraith form avoid something and then instantly punish anyone or anything that might have recovery and kill them in that time is really really really strong.

I also assume they would do something with his teleport as well.

Look at it like this, imagine if mei could walk around in cryo and she had reapers gunsā€¦