Megathread part 4.1 (oct 2018) beam buff not enough!

Please tell me all of you SYM mains have encountered all invisible walls destroying our ultimate. I just put my shield gen down on Junkertown in the same spot that I always use and it got destroyed immediately. I tested this out with a couple of other maps and the tele and shield gen is getting destroyed on all invisible walls. This is a big problem because the spots its getting destroyed aren’t even spots that you are not suppose to access.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s been happening.

1 Like

Sym needs to be a non healing support, PLEASE

3 Likes

I think that got patched out or I haven’t come across the ultimate issue, but I’ve heard of it.

Also, if we’re still talking about the reworks:

What if we gave her main lock on beam a default attack value of say, 75 per sec with no increase, maybe increase range to 9 instead of 5.

Then- have her orbs be a cool down ability like say it holds 2 charges and takes 2 seconds to recharge, and would shoot at what is now a full charge orb.

Then-- have it so she can use both primary and secondary together. Lock on beam, and shoot orb (The orb would still go in a straight shot as it does now) that way she can have a bit of a combo attack. The orbs would probably have to have lower damage though.

And for her shield it NEEDS to have reduced cool down to 8 (at least) or make it a personal barer like it is on the comics, similar to Zarya’s bubbles.

As it stands now she has too much value in her ult for her kit. at least even it out so she’s useful without needing her ult like most other characters.

Hey so I know we all already know this based on the way things have been described repeatedly, but in case anyone was still unsure, Jeff finally said the magic word:

https ://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/look-at-updating-old-kits-instead-of-releasing-new-ones/71363/3

(just scroll down slightly from the OP)

The exact quote.

2 Likes

How about adding more utility to the Teleporter? Maybe when Symmetra uses her TP every hero on her team is given an extra “weapon” (use by the weapon swap button). This weapon allows them to teleport to spawn as long as the TP is up. This would allow people to hero swap quickly then use the TP without feeding and dying, or waiting to respawn. It could also be used by someone desperately out of position to reset with their team. It isn’t huge, but it’s utility that wouldn’t affect the shield gen at all.

1 Like

Symmetra is gonna be a defense hero now, thoughts?

Good. Her supporting ability was way to low, she didn’t need to heal, but she needed something besides her Ult to support. Moving her to defense is fine. The one thing I really want from this rework is that gosh darn beam wrecking me because I can’t aim. If they replaced her weapon I’d be happy. (Just make her viable please OW team)

2 Likes

Tbh i don’t know how I feel about the change, but I’ll be happy as long as she’s viable and still has her beam gun

woah. Well I guess that seals the deal. I’m a bridgitte main now.

My bizarre nonhealing support hero Symmetra 2.0 is gone. the rework is gonna make her something else entirely. I’m still excited to see what she becomes though, but her “increased-HP” gimmick that I love belongs to bridgitte now. Oh well

It was a fun run everyone, I am no longer one of you

1 Like

Not pleased. I was really hoping they emphasized her Shield-providing, maybe even providing her with extra-tankiness abilities and zone control.
No dice.
I’m still hopeful, but kinda bummed.

Considering how arbitrary categories are, moving her to defense probably won’t be the end of the world.

She was already a support/defense hybrid.

Plus, some DPS heroes like Sombra, Mei, and Torbjorn have supportive capabilities, so I doubt they’ll completely take away her shields and what not.

2 Likes

Oh i’m not saying her being a defense hero is such a bad thing. just that this means they no longer see Symmetra as (intended to be) a viable support hero. She’ll definitely still be supportive, but she’s not meant to be played as a support anymore.

I was already kinda drifting to Bridgitte just because she’s fun anyway, but Symmetra is becoming less of what I liked her for it seems.

I’m pretty happy about this. She plays like a DPS and plenty of people already use her as a DPS alongside 2 healers.

It seems as if they’ll be focusing on her area-denial abilities with Teleporter as a support-ish utility, which I think is a good choice. Plus, moving Symmetra to Defence might lessen the vitriol people throw at Sym players due to her perception as a Defence character, and it’ll fill the void that people have for a new Defence character.

Win-win-win so far IMO. I just hope they’ll make her fun to play against as well, as the lock on beam can be very frustrating to deal with.

2 Likes

I’m definitely excited to see it in action. Also is this just me or did it seem like the devs knew exactly what they want to do with Symmetra but just haven’t said anything?

Like, with Hanzo they talked about a lot of ideas and the potential of even rebalancing scatter arrow. then they talked about the concept they settled on, then they showed concept art, then they teased it was coming soon. Hanzo felt like a process

With Sym they just went “Symmetras gonna get changed but we dont know how yet, its gonna take a while”

Then like, instantly after new Hanzo goes live theyre like “Here’s a teaser of what Symmetra is capable of, also she’s a defense hero now lol”

Like… where was the brainstorming and discussion process Hanzo went through?

2 Likes

I then the reason for that is because the community didn’t give much more than “we don’t like from Scatter Arrow”, but with Symmetra, they have this mega thread plus other threads to go off.

Anyway, I think that it may still be possible to run her as a second support. In the past, Soldier, Torbjörn, and Sombra have been picked in the slot of one, so maybe she can too.

1 Like

I’ll just quote myself from the other thread:

I’m not mad, just disappointed. That means Blizzard gave up on the “support don’t mean healer” motto, and that we pretty much can’t expect another pure utility support in the future.

On the other hand, that means her gun will probably stay untouched and she might get a turret buff. Let’s see what they have in the table for her.

2 Likes

I am quite frustrated with this news. My initial reaction to this was frustration because it feels like Blizzard didn’t listen to us with all our wonderful support ideas for Symmetra on the forums. After my frustration waned I did some serious thinking and came to a conclusion: This doesn’t mean that she is not a support hero. Sombra, Torbjörn, and Soldier 76 have all got quite interesting potential support utility. [Particularly Sombra with her EMP enabling massive plays, similar to Nanoboost, and her health pack healing (which by the way is faster than Mercy’s beam. Did the math and a hacked mega is 62.5 healing-per-second Mercy’s is only 60.)] Anyway, my point is that she might be a more defensive support hybrid. This doesn’t mean she is a DPS. Sombra has the lowest potential damage per second of all the 14 DPS heroes currently and she is primarily picked as a either a utility support or for potential combo with things such as D.Va’s Bomb. Maybe they moved her because they did not want to confuse people. Making her primary role as a defensive hero might help eliminate some of the confusion surrounding Symmetra but allow her to still be more supportive. I still remain hopeful that they have listened to at least a few of us. I am always going to give my thoughts on Sym. I think she is one of the most intriguing heroes in Overwatch.

3 Likes