McCree does not counter Genji - Jeff Kaplan says he should

That is the reason why most of the heroes like Junkrat, Pharah, Roadhog, Moira, Soldier prefers to take him out first since he’s so easy to outplay in the game, other being Sym.
Pharah should be afraid of Mccree since he’s hitscan but she’s so confident that he can be easily taken out.
Why Roadhog players go for hooking Mccrees first? Because he can no self heal or any survive ability. Once he’s hooked, he’s finished.

Flash above deflect.

GG ez

Also mccree’s hitbox basically covers roadhog’s entire spread.

He probably counters Genji in the sense that the enemy is preoccupied with someone else: then he won’t see the flash bang coming.
Which in terms of balance might be where the staff is thinking. Some heroes are suppose to excel at 1on1s, and McCree (I think?) is one of them — but they don’t have to function soley outside of a team fight either.

That seems like a no-brainer to me. The only reason not to have that is if you don’t want McCree to counter Genji.

If they ever actually nerf Genji, that’s probably what they’d fix first. But then again, Blizzard does weird stuff with balance sometimes.

McCree would counter Genji if his deflect hitbox was fixed.
In other words: McCree will never counter Genji.

This is true, Genji counters McCree, not the other way around.

1 Like

I don’t understand why Blizzard is so against the idea of buffing McCree.

Why is hit scan (excluding tracer), not allowed to be on the same level as flankers? Albeit its not far off. All the flankers have amazing ults, while hit scan for the most part is left with easy to counter ultimates.

I think most players who play 76, McCree, Widow strive to perfect their tracking/flicking because the satisfaction of landing hard to hit shots feels soo good. The ultimates should be changed to something that do not hinder mobility, don’t hold your hand aka challenging to use while in the midst of combat but very rewarding when executed properly. If you gave non flanker hit scan heros ultimates that a well versed player could utilize (due to the mechanical skill requirement) quickly when fighting flankers it could greatly even the playing field. Look at how amazing Pulse bomb is designed, fast to execute, can be hard to land but very rewarding when executed properly.

honestly this is the direction the game should be heading as a whole, I’m not saying every hero needs to require superior aim, but they should all require skill in some manner that takes time to figure out and master.

Instead we are left with blizzard releasing heros like Orisa, Moira and now Brigitte… I understand you want to cater to your super casual audience Blizzard but I don’t think you can do that and call your game an Esport. I think you are better off catering to your devoted fan base that will stick around instead of devoting time to super casuals who will bail on you after a few weeks to go play PUBG or Fortnite.

The problem is flashbang. It’s not an effective anti-flanker tool. If you flash a Genji or Tracer in the air, they will be able to walk or teleport the second they hit the ground. Flash should immediately cause them to drop, and then stun them once their feet hit the ground.

2 Likes

Not to mention it being notoriously unreliable. How many times have to point blank flashbang’d someone only to have it be a dud?

1 Like

Would the developers really ignore a post with 2000 likes complaining about deflect’s hitbox? Oh wait…

2 Likes

A better deflect visual is a start, but McCree still won’t counter Genji.

Good news everyone!!

The problem isn’t that it’s a skill matchup, it’s that it’s a skill matchup that requires the McCree to be so far ahead of the Genji to come out on top.

If you can actually click heads, McCree is very dangerous for Genji, but if you can’t reliably hit shots, it’s MUCH easier to just dash through McCree and fan of blades him with even mediocre accuracy.

2 Likes

Even if you can click heads, Genji’s instant deflect can result in you accidentally shooting yourself. And it’s really easy to finish off a wounded McCree.

Good, it only took them 2 years, thats great. Maybe 2 years from now they will finally nerf Tracer, keeps my hopes up.

You’re kidding, right? Flashbang is one of the best abilities in the game. It’s a complete free kill on any squishy.

1 Like

Thats if the glitchy thing can even hit something reliably

1 Like

McCree’s ultimate is already a suicide button and Genji makes McCree even more afraid to use his ultimate. That needs to be fixed.