McCree does not counter Genji - Jeff Kaplan says he should

Actual Jeff Kaplan quote: “We want McCree to be a counter to people like Tracer, Genji…”

Source: https://www.gamecrate.com/nerfs-and-buffs-are-way-certain-overwatch-characters/13768?cm_mmc=SNC-Facebook-_-NA-_-GameCrate-Overwatch-Nerfs-Buffs-_-NA

Right now McCree does not counter Genji. At best, you could call it a skill match up - but Genji’s mobility and cooldowns give him the upper hand.

The biggest piece of evidence that McCree does not counter Genji is that when a McCree is doing well, players on the other team swap TO Genji. Players literally swap to Genji to counter McCree.

If McCree is supposed to counter Genji, then Genji should not be able to deflect flashbang and deadeye. Genji makes McCree afraid to use his abilities. How does that make any sense if McCree is supposed to counter Genji?

68 Likes

Every hero counters mccree. He is a squishy hero with zero mobity, one crappy ability (roll is not even worth calling ability) and a suicide button.

33 Likes

I cant agree with this
mccree is a very good pick if knowing how to play him he can counter damn near anyone.

His Roll Or Dash Is a very efficient to get behind and or evade a situation

his flashbang gives that confusion rate for the time for you to get 2 too 3 headshot dinks if lucky

it’s stupidly easy to counter genji with mccree you just need too play your card’s right

6 Likes

The fun is that genji hardcounter mccree ult xd

18 Likes

Honestly, I switch to Genji because I know most McCree’s aren’t good and are incredibly predictable. Like seriously, you’re all impulsive and don’t really play him well at all.
I personally have it the other way around, I switch to McCree to counter Genji, but that doesn’t mean that I think McCree is good. I still think he’s garbage and that his entire presence is defined by his gun and nothing else. His roll is a stupid ability, can’t even call it an ability. His flash is kinda meh especially since the game has other better iterations of it, looking at you Brigitte and your dumb shield bash. His ult is just a fancy reload tied to Q. At the end of it, McCree is just gun, and that’s it, he is gun.

13 Likes

The reason why McCree doesn’t counter them is because he has ZERO self-sustain and ZERO mobility (and his ult even makes that worse), and that’s exactly what any flanker is good against. The flanker meta was born to counter immobile compositions, and that’s exactly what McCree is, immobile.

As you said, people literally pick Genji to counter McCree. That happens all the time when I’m playing him, and that’s even worse on competitive. Literally every single match.

“Oh but if you…” No. On a similar skill matchup between a good McCree and a good Genji, Genji will win. This would be ok if Genji was supposed to counter McCree, but he’s not. It’s the opposite.

18 Likes

I’ll be honest with you, I genuinely win as McCree vs Genji about 9 out of 10 times. Bait the deflect, flash to the side, shoot in face. When he kills me it is because he catches me by surprise, swift strikes through me, then 180 and right clicks my dome. I feel like this is a fair matchup.

Tracer on the other hand… I can kill 80% of Tracers with ease. I will never hit the other 20%. Ever. Their strafing and tracking is too good, and with McCrees huge hitbox I will get to fire ~3 bullets before I am one clipped. Her spread is small enough to mow him down from just outside flash range.

I can’t tell you how many FFA games I have been in with top 500s, but one of them is a tracer main and wins by +10 points every round.

5 Likes

The fact that you don’t have a rank in comp makes me question your 9/10 times number.

6 Likes

You can look it up on overbuff, it was 3348 end of last season. I have like 200 hours in FFA.

I’m not arguing that McCree doesn’t need help, he does, but I fear Roadhog, Dva, and Tracer more than genji.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go so far as to say every hero counters McCree. He’s a great counter to Sombra, Reaper, Mei… You know - the F tier heroes.

1 Like

I still try to wrap my head around how Genji deflects things that are supposed to explode on contact like flashbang and Pharah rockets…

EDIT: or are flashbangs like firecrackers? shrug

3 Likes

Counter shouldn’t mean easy kill.

1 Like

I’d define counter as a less skilled player on that character can beat a more skilled player in the countered character. There’s a ton of examples of that in the game.

While I dislike the idea if counters in general, they should work if they’re going to exist. McCree clearly does not work as a counter to Genji.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t like that idea, the more-skilled player should always win. And if you want to counter a hero, it should be with smart gameplay.

(I.e. moving unpredictably against a Hanzo, staying out of Reaper’s range, etc.)

Yah, I agree, Genji can deflect McCree’s flashbang and Deadeye and regular shots. Woe to the McCree that gets his own Fan-the-Hammer deflected back into his face.

McCree with his limited mobility (Barrel Roll, lol) can’t outmanuever a Genji aware of his presence. Genji can literally, be all over the place and has Wall Climb and Swift Strike to effectively get behind and away from McCree.

1 Like

a good genji will always respect a mccree w/ a flashbang. whether it be diving in, or dragon blading in. it boils down to a skill shot (similar to ana sleep dart). you either flashbang + kill, or you dont. that’s the matchup (similar to many other skill based match ups)

jeff bases this off people picking genji to counter mccree? what people? competitive? are you basing actions based of competitive or OWL? b/c zen was nerfed based off OWL (ie. jjonak). i never heard anyone say a thing in competitive about nerfing zen volleys. data sources need to be consistent

But that’s not how this game is designed…

6 Likes

Not true at all. A good mccree does counter a good genji, and a good genji can counter a good mccree. The fight between them is perfect, the one who outplays the other wins. If you deflect flash as genji, you win. If you bait deflect and land flash as mccree, you win.

4 Likes

I love the McCree Genji match up. It’s fun as McCree. The trick is to flash above Deflect if Genji is on the ground, and below if he’s in the air. Stun, headshot, and they almost always get scared and run off. If not, they die. At least that’s my experience.

Simple

DONT THROW FLASH BANG OR SHOOT WHILE HE IS DEFLECTING OR TRY AND BAIT HIS DEFLECT OUT