Marvel Rivals makes me glad Overwatch exists

There’s basically no inclusion for LGBT+ ppl. Meanwhile we have Tracer, Pharah, Soldier 76, Venture and Lifeweaver. And they’re noticeably queer in game too, like Lifeweaver flirting and Tracer talking about Emily.

And judging by how Marvel fans are, there won’t be any queer heroes in Rivals in future either.

So thankful to the OW team :pray:t6:

3 Likes

I would have thought that it would have - there must be some characters in the marvel universe that fit that stuff?

But it’s NetEase and I think the Chinese are against that stuff right?

:thinking:

1 Like

I am surprised they did not add Deadpool in anticipation for the Deadpool and Wolverine movie. Albeit, I guess Deadpool is not exactly a positive LGBT portrayal. :skull:

5 Likes

I just got back from watching it way too violent heh…

And the usual edgy American sense of humour trying really hard to be cool by talking as fast as possible and getting out as many quips as they can…

Soundtrack was really good though…

That’s something you can’t fault with marvel movies…

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

That is what I love to hear!

2 Likes

waifu aswell

20 characters

I hope both games do well, so people finally start drawing Doomfist kissing the Hulk.

“Only through love, will we evolve”

“Hulk… smash”

7 Likes

It’s funny because I main both of those characters!

:smile_cat:

3 Likes

If MR is anything like OW and catches on, they’ll almost certainly add Deadpool later on… Ryan Reynolds fits Deadpool as perfectly as Huge Jacked Man (oops… I mean Hugh Jackman) fits Wolverine.

1 Like

That’s crazy, he’s like if Winston’s ult was its own character… and with a baby DVa mode

I dont know if the window closed, but I was told you could still sign up for the beta through steam (at least, on PC). Is that no longer the case?

(EDIT: Wow… just listening to sounds/gameplay… I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between MR and OW)

Love that this got flagged so hard. I thought homophobes were all about “free speech” and “civilised debate”?

What a crock.

2 Likes

Never read a comic have you?

1 Like

That’s not Marvel Rivals’ fault. They are working with the IP they are given.
They don’t decide the sexuality and gender of the characters.

They don’t just get to be like “Here comes a new character! Thanos! And he’s gay!”

9 Likes

it is a video game, who cares what a character does, where they stick or get stuck or what they call themselves. esp in a multiplayer shooter lol. i could see it being a thing for a story based game tho.

2 Likes

A bit like those railing against cancel culture cancelled Bud Light and Nike and others. The hypocrisy is completely lost on them.

2 Likes

Wait but that would actually be iconic :joy:

In all seriousness tho, there are quite a few queer Marvel characters now, and several are extremely popular, particularly when compared to the nobodies they’ve included like Peni Parker. When I saw the roster I had to look that one up :skull:

1 Like

Oh no

Anyway

Also Loki’s in the game so this is objectively false anyway

6 Likes

I said “basically no representation”; that’s not a false accusation to make even with Loki accounted for.

But in all honesty I struggle to believe Loki is queer in any meaningful capacity. Afaik that revelation is quarantined to his spin off show and is confined to one line of dialogue only. No gay kiss, no hay relationship, nothing of substance. Feels disingenuous, and the fact he’s the only one feels massively tokenistic.

1 Like

Loki is very openly bisexual and genderfluid in the comics and in Norse mythology.
I get the feeling you don’t really consume much Marvel media other than the MCU.
They’re not going to make random characters gay to fill a quota, and they’re only going to add characters they have ideas for. They’ve already said there’s going to be a lot more characters on launch and added post-launch.

2 Likes