Make Symmetra a Support without Healing

All of those, will make the game more frustrating to play.

We dont need any more of these in the game. (Im looking at CC the most).

She needs to have healing turrets and I think it she will be ok

Yes, it would dramatically shift her focus away from killing enemies herself. That was the point of the suggestion. Did you read the rest?

I agree. Main problem with symmetra - she is support who can’t help allies to survive. But there is more ways to help allies, than just healing.
Symmetra’s shield gen isn’t good enough.

1 Like

Yeah, but then how is she useful in certain maps like 2 cp on offense? Since she would only be good at defending that would still be problematic for us and the champ. If she can’t capture and only defend it would still make her bad. That’s exactly where she is now, and it doesn’t work well for the champs that are supposed to do that; hence the torb and sym reworks. If you can’t use them on attack you locked them out of 50% of the game, and it only goes down from there. Champs should only be forced to switch based on who they are up against. Just like bast should be more viable outside protect the president/pirate ship (hell he ain’t good in that as well, but that’s going off course).

Edit: grammar

Yes please so many sym mains have said this is what they want

There was a megathread with over 6500 posts and all it was was talking about ways to make her a non healing support but nope

Blizz is back at it again with ignoring the people who actually play the character and listen to the ppl who have like 1 hour on her at best

1 Like

I did but this will also kill her.

The point of the defense category is to defend, I want to see that work properly. They should good at defending an area. It doesn’t matter if they’re defending an area you’ve pushed through on attack or an area you’re holding on defense.

Sym and Torb are a bit slow when it comes to setting up their turrets so I hope hers get a buff.

I see what your getting at, it just came off a bit awkward for me. Personally wish they figured out the non-healing support angle by making shields more her thing then zoning. I hope they give bastion some better love too, since they seem to be fixing up defense champs in general.

IDK how they could do that without destroying what makes Symmetra, Symmetra.

If we’re going for the defense angle they could give the turrets a little bit of HP and decrease the placement time so she can properly defend an area taken over by her team on attack without them exploding instantly.

1 Like

I think it would be neat if she could choose the function of her turrets much like she does with her ult or Moira does with her orbs. Her second option could be either placing them as small sheilds (maybe the width of zarya) OR if she creates a square with them, they could make one big shield. The shields could be destroyed by the traditional shield breaking focus fire or by just destroying the turret. That’d be neat.

Go on?

If her damage isn’t the point of her kit, how does that kill her? I mean the numbers are obviously up for debate, but you can make picks viable without relyong on high damage.

I mean look at Mercy. She is powerful while doing almost no damage at all ever.

Damage is the point of her kit if she’s made into a defender.

20 damage per second at max charge is slower than punching someone to death.

I made an ability idea for a different character that could actually fit with Symmetra pretty well because of her use of hardlight.

The ability is called Force-field.

Basically how I imagine it is you place a medium sized hardlight force field shaped like a cube. The force field negates all incoming and outgoing damage. Enemies cannot enter it. Friendly healing can enter it though. Maybe it could last for 8-10 seconds on a 14-16 second cooldown.

The intention: to provide an extremely safe location for injured allies to retreat to for healing. Say your’e McCree at 40 health and can’t get heals right away. You walk into the force-field and cannot be attacked by any enemies for as long as it is active. This allows your healers time to get to you to provide healing. Of course to balance it, you won’t be doing any damage as the McCree while in the force-field.

So yeah, I had this ability idea for a tank concept, but its something I feel would actually fit Symmetra quite well, while making her more supportive for her team. She could have this ability instead of her photon barrier.

You didn’t read the original post then, did you? :joy:

Go back and reread. This thread is about keeping her a support, not making her a defender.

I did read it, she would just suck in general at basically everything. I don’t like just flat out saying a change is horrible but when it is I lose all inhibitions.

Then you apparently egregiously misunderstood it, lol.

20 damage per second is all I need to understand how bad this would be for her. Even if you want to make her a support all you’re really doing is making her a better Mei with 400 shields.

That’s the thing though, before her first rework she was capable of it. Now we see it working on Bridge, it wasn’t too farfetched to think it could be done. All us mains wanted her to be capable of it, it doesn’t ruin the character that was originally intended as such. Peeps complained then that her first rework was a bad idea, all this would do is ‘ruin’ a more recent interpretation that the mains never wanted her to be in.

Her turrets where for revealing flankers and slowing them down, her shields where supposed to act as over-healing, and her tp was an alternative to res. It just sucks that they couldn’t get it going and just flooded support with healers is all.

It doesn’t remove the fact that it would ruin a character that wasn’t supposed to be all about locking a zone down, but also help teammates achieve their goals. She was always a hybrid of defense and support, I hoped they pushed support more but it seems the opposite is true. That’s my whole problem with it, many agreed on the megathread as well.

defense heroes do that though. If the enemy can’t/won’t go into an area you’re defending you’ve just limited them into bad situations so your team can mop them up.

Ignoring your lack of understanding of how a hero can function with low damage, overlapping roles with Mei is a much more valid point.

How can Symmetra keep her general feel while differentiating herself from similar heroes?

Mei is rewarded for focusing on a single target, eventually freezing them completely. Symmetra is already relatively similar in that she’s:

• Short range
  • Has slows (from turrets)
  • Can protect herself (throwing the barrier vs Ice wall)

Perhaps the lock on primary fire (advantage symmetra) but with no total freeze (advantage Mei) would be enough to differentiate them.

Plus Mei wouldn’t have the generating shields, she would thus be less tanky and would really want the enemy to engage onto her and to then punish them (like a defense hero that she is!) where as Symmetra with that take would be more more prone to contributing in a similar fashion but in an offensive way. Supports don’t really NEED to be pigeon holed into defense after all.

Perhaps in that case she’s more of a play making offensive combination of Brigitte (tanky front line support that since with your tank line) and Mei (targeting single enemies to severely hamper, allowing her team to finish them off).

That’s an interesting perspective.