Make Characters Harder

I know I’m going to get hate for this, but keep in mind. I love overwatch. I just don’t want to see a good game die.

With the new additions of Moira and Brigitte, we are adding easier characters to the arsenal. With adding low skill heroes, we are not improving the community. Brigitte requires little skill to master. Moira (in my opinion) takes not much skill what-so-ever. It seems like after Doomfist was added, the skill cap of the heroes lowered. I believe Doomfist some-what takes skill, but I feel like it is really frustrating knowing that the characters with high risk high reward are not really getting the high reward they are used to. Meta: Low Risk, High reward.

Mod edit: Removed the “Dear Blizzard” bit of your title as that is not allowed per our Forum Guidelines. Do not call out the development team or individual developers by name in your title to get attention, as doing so will result in suspension of posting privileges. Focus on the feedback in your thread please.

78 Likes

Oh boy, here we go again…

50 Likes

Doom is probably the hardest character in the game though.

47 Likes

No hate to the game, just frustrated. :grin:

1 Like

I’m with Crazyshark on this one- low floor doesn’t mean broken game. I do wish that less people would crowd the game with no skill and no prior experience though. The more difficult it is to get into the game eventually the more skillful and fun the game gets in higher tiers. Still though Blizzard’s a corp and they need money so less skill = more inexperienced players = money. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether it’s good or bad.

5 Likes

I’m with you… the more we have threads like this the better :slight_smile:

13 Likes

They’ve added characters that require a good amount of skill and characters that are easier to pick up. Considering Overwatch is for a wide range of people and mechanical skill sin’t everything I don’t see a problem with this. Ana, Doomfist, and Sombra are hard characters to learn. Orisa, Moira, Brigitte are easier to learn. I’m sure we’ll get more difficult heroes in the future.

15 Likes

I was just worried that in the future the characters will get easier and easier. Just trying my best to prevent that :confused:

10 Likes

If you want another aim-intensive hero, Hanzo is being reworked to replace Scatter Arrow with a more aim-intensive ability, give him a way to get in and out of fights so he’s more viable, and just generally make him based more on aim and less on luck.

Sombra was also recently reworked to make her SMG reward aim more. Other DPS heroes who reward good aim include McCree, Widowmaker, Soldier: 76, Tracer, Bastion in walkaround mode, arguably Mei, and (when played at high levels) Pharah. Outside of the DPS category, Orisa, Zarya (tracking), Ana, and Zenyatta are all aim-intensive.

There are also many heroes in Overwatch who are not built around aiming skills, but instead around other things—combos, strategy, resource management, situational awareness. These are not “low-skill”; they are just different skills.

14 Likes

I understand what you are saying. But, the new addition of low risk - high reward heroes are extremely frustrating against those who’ve spent countless hours refining their gameplay.

6 Likes

Yea, my guess is the last 2 we got are easier because the issue bliz was trying to fix with them was the overwhelming feeling of dive and the helpless feeling of the support cast. With characters like Tracer who are designed to be very mobile, small, and hard to hit you have to have heroes that have an easier time hitting. The support cast especially needed this since they felt like playing flanker fodder. It gives the support cast more options to switch to if they are being hard countered.

That being said, I would really like some more mechanically intense heroes added! Ana and Sombra, while I’m still not great with them, have been my favorite additions so far.

9 Likes

I agree that they are adding heroes to counter the dive meta, Brigitte especially. They still could’ve added a higher skill cap to them though. It doesn’t have to be an easy character for it to counter dive. Moira, on the other hand, supports dive. She has fast mobility with a lot of healing for more aggressive plays. If you watched any OWL you could probably notice that Moira has been added to the dive comps to make them stronger.

I have salt. Wanna share with me, or just grab some from the posts?

4 Likes

In what way would they add “difficult” characters in a game like Overwatch? A game like Counter-Strike is only as difficult as the team you’re up against.

FPS games have never been “difficult” as per say, yes there has been some tech that have required mastering, but nothing major. I hear people claiming that heroes in Overwatch have “low skill” but, this isn’t an MMO with complex classes. If you want something complex that will burn your fingers out, I might suggest Black Mage in Final Fantasy 14.

4 Likes

Maybe I was a little confusing. By adding difficult characters, I mean characters that take effort to play, learn, and get good at.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as a no skill hero.

Some heroes are harder to play than others. It gives us options and options are always a good thing.

9 Likes

Go play Mei, or Ana. You will work for your games.

ok, I’ll give a real response.

I don’t want to watch a good game die. Lets look at the games which went down the path you want overwatch to go down.

LawBreakers - good marketing, VERY polished game, good gameplay - dead, couldn’t gain the playerbase, since there isn’t enough people who want the mechanical skills over everything experience.

Quake champions - not yet called as dead, but it is still in Beta, and still can’t get players. Gave their game away, couldn’t get people EVEN when they did that.

lets take the other side

Paladins - not exactly polished. tilted towards casual play - THRIVING

I’d love more skill based heroes (except I hate the whining from people who think mechanical skill is the only skill they bring)

But to claim that not focusing them will kill the game? The game will be FINE without them.

6 Likes

Yes, I understand that. But the counters to the heroes shouldn’t be so easily graspable. If it is so easy to counter difficult to learn characters. Then what’s the point.

But they do. A good Hanzo stands out from a poor Hanzo by requiring less shots. A good Mercy stays alive longer and know where to go and where not to, a good Zenyatta knows when he’s countered and needs to change. People that are good with their heroes, do stand out.

It does take time and dedication to get good at a hero. It’s very evident when the player has no idea how to use that hero.

6 Likes

That name reference though. Did you read the book or film or did you choose the name cause it sounded cool?
Stay Positive
Generic Toast

1 Like