[Main Thread] High Ping Australia - Oct 11th

From Perth, Australia I had around 65ms ping in OW1, but now in OW2 I can’t get below 160ms (tried both Amercias and Asia regions).

Are there issues with the Australia servers, or do I just have bad routing to the new servers?

Does anyone know how to find the IP of the server when I am in a game so that I can trace the route?

26 Likes

You want to do a WinMTR, not traceroute.

Instructions for IP on that page.

Thanks for that! When I logged back in to get the IP it looks like whatever the issue was has since resolved and my ping is back to normal. Cheers.

Ah, finally some good news :sun_behind_small_cloud:

1 Like

This isnt resolved, a lot of games for Australia are being put into SEA servers giving high latency. This would be fine for people in Perth… we would have similar or less ping, but the routing to those servers (gsg1 for example) are garbage. Getting 160+ ping every other game.

12 Likes

This is true. I thought it had resolved but it now just varies from game to game. Sometimes 65ms, sometimes 160ms.

Weirdly I was playing grouped with someone else in my house, so same network/IP and playing in the same game on the same server, yet they were showing 65ms and I was showing 160ms.

7 Likes

Same issue, yesterday all night 60ms, today 160ms average there has to be a way to fix it :s

4 Likes

@Nicole Might need to revisit this. There are now several threads with the same issue. I’m also having this issue where the game frequently chooses SEA servers instead of Syd2. Either it’s a bug or the game’s DOA.

2 Likes

Support page is missing Australia server IP addresses. Can’t really obtain the Syd2 IP in game if we can’t connect to it. Are you able to provide the IP address for Syd1 or Syd2? Thanks.

2 Likes

I see, you’re never landing on those servers? Blizz doesn’t have a standard test IP for that region, so it would need to be acquired in game. I know, it’s not convenient. But check if you land on SYD at some point.

1 Like

Is there a fix for this yet? Im not liking 160ms servers very much.

5 Likes

Same issue here, not sure if it’s cause I’m high MMR it looks broader than Sydney server or what is the issue?

The thing is GSG1 servers on the custom games lobby show as “good ping/3 bars” but logging in it’s ~160. Obviously the system might be pinging Singapore which is normally low ping, but because it’s routed via Sydney there is a terrible game experience.

Needs to be fixed, otherwise games not worth playing and infuriating at higher skill levels.

4 Likes

I am just adding to the echo chamber and getting the same issue. I am based in Brissi and getting this same issue, especially in comp. My Melbourne friends don’t seem to get this same issue until I join their group.

2 Likes

Im near melbourne and getting this issue, doesnt seem like they are even acknowledging it

6 Likes

+1 to this from Sydney, about a 50% chance that I get 150ms or 20ms, I think it’s connecting us to south east asia servers or something? Got no clue why, maybe too many players in sydney servers? please acknowledge this blizz :frowning:

3 Likes

this is happening to alot of us. 10+ people on my friends list and myself. half the time 150 ping, the other 30-50 ping. im pretty sure its giving servers from some other country.

2 Likes

If you VPN to Sydney, do you always land on Sydney servers?

If your connection doesn’t look like it’s coming from somewhere close to Sydney, you’ll be placed on a server elsewhere.

I’m about to try this VPN thing (even though I’m in melbourne) and will respond soon.

1 Like

ok, let us know — Good Luck :four_leaf_clover:

It seems like connecting to the Sydney VPN is getting more Australian servers. A bit unfortunate since I should be getting Australian servers in Australia normally. But yeah, the VPN worked.

2 Likes