Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

It’s been working fine for one evening and CPU usage has been pretty mild but now I’m back to 100% looking at the main menu alone. Performance wise it feels like a coinflip and restarting the game doesn’t reliably reign in resource utilization as it did the night before. Users in different topics claim that the game settles down after over a period of five minutes and how there’s always a problem with the first boot-up of the da

Staring at the main menu is on average twice as intensive compared to showing both teams on the same screen. Other screens such as the shop or hero gallery work just fine and the resources the game eats up barely register.

I lost all hope for this, I’m done. This “sequel” ruined my favorite game with this issue. Imagine paying for the first game, then makes an update that makes it unplayable. What a scam, this issue has been here since the first beta. THE FIRST BETA. And it is still here, patches has come and go but it is still not fixed. What a joke man.

15 Likes

When was the las time you guys saw a Blizzard employee around the forums?

1 Like

Idk
But i want my game fixed. It’s not my pc if the problem shows up randomly after i fixed it.

1 Like

I’m hoping for the upcoming patch to improve performance but the last one didn’t fix anything at all so I don’t know what to expect anymore.

2 Likes

Just happen to see this as the last section when i went to that thread (funny how they diverted away from the largest thread)

I imagine the time frame will still be awhile (if resolved) as i suspect its still on blizzards side (again only game to have this issue) unless all other games avoid a dodgy windows bug/issue that appears to span across generations.

Since there is still no hope for some, i’ll re-post this link here for those who feel daring (and feel free to google people’s results with it) / i had a few games two days ago without problem as usual

I have a dual core processor and was having issues until about 3rd week of Oct when it seemed like they had it fixed for me. But now I’m having issues again and was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience to me (where they had an issue, it got fixed, now its come back). The game is still playable for me but I’m having weird latency issues and frame drops again.

4 Likes

I’m going to upgrade my hardware within a few months but I might as well give Linux a chance. Nothing to lose at this point to be honest.

Is it really worth it though? Did you notice a performance boost good enough to justify a new operating system? Seems a bit extreme to me and I want to play other games as well. This is literally the only game giving me trouble.

Yeah, this is exactly what happened to me. The game was running just fine but all of a sudden the drops were back for no apparent reason. I’m a bit tired to be honest.

It’s definitely not on our end so there’s not much we can do but complaint here.

Replying to keep this thread open. Has the new update fixed the issue? I refuse to try playing without the thread count line, so I can’t tell if the FPS being cut from 31 to anywhere between 9 and 22 if an enemy appears is due to the line being unneeded or just what it normally does.

I’m realy hoping this problem will be fixed when the new season strikes next thirdsday 12/06 or I don’t know if I’ll keep playing this game…

2 Likes

–tank_WorkerThreadCount 4 -thread 4 work for me. No more freeze. Also make sure to close msi afterburner if you have it. Msi afterburner cause a lot of stutter and freeze for me.
i3 4170 2 core 4 thread, rx 570 4gb

1 Like

And so, after so much time, the overwatch still freezes, every 4-6 games the game freezes

4 Likes

I’ve given up on the game as it has been completely unplayable since release in one way or another.

7 Likes

Game froze constantly when it came out, i used the command and it worked. A month later i deleted the command and i run the game with no problems at all ( besides few fps drops). After season 2 patch’s i am in the same situation as at the beginning, game crashes

4 Likes

Freezes are back. 4 times today.

Will you ever admit you are unable to fix this dumpster fire of a game?

8 Likes

Yeah, my friends, I don’t think they will ever fix that. It was a great jorney with all of you.
See you around…

4 Likes

Worked for me also, in my case i must set both values to 2 instead of 4.

There another seriously problem with skybox in this game, my game keep running at 9 FPS untill skybox (in OW2 is a mesh or texture?) is loaded. Once is loaded, my game returns back to 30 fps (i’ve set to 30 to prevent unwanted freezes, since for some unknown reasons i cannot set to 60 fps)

My guess this problem is begin caused to many reflection sphere they used in OW2. In Environment states post ( Environment States in Overwatch 2: Behind the scenes with the engineering team - News - Overwatch ) they explain this and each reflection sphere can cause a absurd CPU usage to trace rays to reflect objects in realtime.

The Ramattra patch seems to have fixed the fps dips for me (at leas for now).
However there are still random crashes when using any preset above high quality (mostly after leaving custom maps).

1 Like

I’m just gonna keep this thread living / not let it hit 30 days without a reply…

Why… Because Blizzard need to actually respond again and tell players that they are unable to resolve the issue and simply are at a lost for the cause of the issue (or they know they are stuck and unable to resolve it without breaking changes)

Most amusing part is i’m not seeing any other gaming groups/websites picking up this story… i’d say feel free to spread this thread and issue all over the web, but those groups wont touch it because they wont get any sponsoring or special release info for furture Blizzard content.

Honestly blizzard, Do you feel ashamed by this thread yet (i know your avoiding it on purpose)

:man_facepalming:

(post deleted by author)