Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

I have the same issue. I’m on a laptop with i5 7200U (2c/4t) and nvidia GTX950M, 24gb of DDR4 memory.
https://pastebin.com/ZuuP5ZZh this is my dxdiag

1 Like

yours was one of the cleanest dxdiags I have seen. You had codes but they are all overwatch ones (line 1354 on your report).
EDIT
THIS GOES FOR ALOT OF YOU 2c 4t pre 5th gen Especially K series
yours is one of the older cpu’s I’ve seen, I think cica 2012/3. If you never taken off the cooler to give it some new thermal paste its very likely become a dried out clay by this time. (think oil change in a car that hasnt been done for 4 years).

since you old processor core duo will be blazing hot (well as hot as 50w cpu can go for inon k chips, but generally speaking K chips should have new paste every few years as they are alot hotter on the oc) in this game and to give it the best shot it can if your stable if you dont have cash for an upgrade, spend $10 on like thermal grizzly performance thermal paste is popular. (not liquid alloy if you never done it before i.e conducts electricity).
this can seem like a intimidating job but its generally kinda easy see you tube videos.
its more scory if you need to remove the entire motherboard because the screws are on the under side to remove the cooler. however if your a stock cooler or your cooler comes off form top mount threaded screws this is easy job generally. YOU DONT NEED TO REMOVE THE CPU FROM THE BOARD. just the cooler clean off old paste likely gummy and apply new paste.

so I guess you must be shutting stuff down.
I usually overwatch codes account foe 40-60% in that section in some cases people have no codes leaving me to conclude wither they didn’t collect at the point of a crash or there crashes are different. maybe overwatch is a catalyst to the crash but its other process causing the Freeze.

I seen store front codes in there epic steam microsoft,
seen geforce exp, intel codes.
then games, valorant fall out 2 gundam evo rocket league minecraft…and even a nsfw adult game… you do your thing, its cool. :person_shrugging:
then discord xbox game bar twitch opera chrome edge razer (havenet seen any logitech g series software though)

but that ones that worry me are the system ones that are uncommon. a bit like kate yesterday they where playing then instability came. either post patch or randomly…that diffrent from the first few days where this thread was people just freezing. that could be a very diffrent crash.

EIther way I super happy its working for you BUT SAD you didnt try it days ago when so many here where trying the command and you where here on this thread.

That said your patient has a pulse maybe lets see if we can get you off Low settings. as you now have a stable base.

i make a new post cause in the last few day there a few of you running and talking about frame drop. of a couple of seconds I eliminated this mostly days ago, i.e frame drop and choppy audio. on high density high ult team fight.
if i do get some drop its not seconds that sounds terrible. so lets see if we can smooth that out now patient isnt defibbing anymore more.

i want to be baptised into your linux religion how do i do that ? which version of the linux bible is good to run windows games ?

1 Like

for you specificly because no one wants 3 gen intel 20-30$ used get you a non K i7 on ebay. and you can probable keep you 65w cooler. If you have a 135W cooler you could get a K but I dunno I feel more comftable buying old non K because you just dont know what people have done to K.

so for maybe all in $30 If you score one at low twenties you could move to a i7 4 core with bigger cache gt FSB. with paste. you still need to sun command line I think but you should gain for gaming in the medium term as i think 4c 4-8t will become the new minimium for gaming with 6c-12t for reccomended for 2023 and moving forward. if your removing the cooler to give it new paste try and dont mind taking the risk on a used chip (buyer beware).
8gb memory an issue if you can get ddr3 16gb for less than 20$ used do that too

you can compare the tdp cores threads and cache for a used model here. i5 3500 series looks k too but if there just $5 diffrence grab a i7 just make sure your cooler can cope a 55w to74w doessnt seem like a lot to me with decent paste and a undervolt. should get you by on a base cooler.

wikipedia. org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

who has the game freezing after some time playing, do this method from the video I left, it worked for me and several other people just look in the comments, I hope this helps the community. Method to resolve Overwatch 2 game freeze

PopOS is probably a good starting Distro as they have a ISO specially for Nvidia users (and one for non Nvidia)

I’ve created a thread for those who want to try it

1 Like

one more maintenance…
And one more maintenance without a solution :smiley:

10 Likes

With the command and the task manager stuff the game is playable, but I still hope they fix this error

not for everyone tho
…d

YEAH unfortunatlly some people it wont work its probably releated to other issues in this forum or there pc.

others wont read the threads put in a command line and start getting problems because cutting threads to 2 but retaining all preious epic 200fps reflex with mat data will take its toll but if they dont read what can you do

ok so when will they fix it cause i cant play like this i just want to play with friends without having this problem and i am getting punished for just playing and game crash this is not ok

9 Likes

i fno one else has wrote a technical thread on ow2 on steam deck maybe you should.

However it might get insta deleted by moderators but to the platform.
BUT I knew those steam deck fan bois would come through. that device is going to have quiet a following. I might buy gen 2 i think they will improve quiet a few things in specs and tacility of buttons and joystick feel.

This is the only thing that fixed the crashes for me:

Turn graphic quality preset to LOW.

The other settings doesn’t matter (you can put the all the way up) but is important that the graphic quality preset is set to LOW and nothing higher than that.

2 match with active hypertrhead without crashing…
Did they fix the error?

We’ll see.
I will try 1 ranked.

And it crashed/freezing :smiley:
9 days and 0 solution.

I disabled hyperthreading again =/

3 Likes

welp new update didn’t fix crashing for me, guess we’ll have to way another week…or two

1 Like

EHHHH WHAT

there no point turning preset to low, then applying High ultra and epic underneath. that is effectively a high/epic preset. if you can run that set it to ultra, turn low amibient occlution and dynamic reflections and drop texture filtering to x8. some of these setting might already be the default for ULTRA

Apparently it is not. There are also visual differences when using low preset compared to high with the same settings.

yes but a preset is just using the drop down boxes below. turning them up to epic is still a epic preset.

EDIT
also i have found medium more stable than low on stutter.

i run a i5 2c 4t and i am good at 1600x900 8gb sys mem 2gb gpu 4.5-5gb free memory prior to ow2 start no gaming kb/mouse software background running- laptop
cmd 3 threads for a target fps of >45 is acceptable to me on my 60hz.

Graphics quality:- Ultra

high sample upscale amd fsr 1.0
image sharpening0.25
texture quality High
texture filtering quality High 4x
local fog Medium
Dynamic reflecttions Medium
shadow detail Medium
model detail High
effects detail Medium
Lighting quality High
antialias quality medium smaa low
reflaction quality low
sceenshot quality 1x
ambient occlusions low
local reflections on
damge fx low

on gameplay/general/network.
Limit client send rate ON
limit server send rate ON

Video/video
Fullscreen
1600x900
dynamic rendering ON
frames AUTO
vsync OFF
trip buff OFF
reduce buffering off
Nvidia reflex DISABLED

That is not how it works in OW.
For example the trash bins in Hollywood attack spawn still uses lower geometry with low preset compared to high even if you select highest model detail both times.

I am sure they just forgot to put something related to higher preset setting which is causing the crash.