Lunge contradicts Blizzards statements on hero balance

When asked about not giving Ana mobility, I believe it was Jeff who said that they’d rather buff a heroes strengths and keep their weaknesses.

Well, Hanzos Lunge removes one of his key weaknesses: mobility

Blizzard has buffed his strengths AND weaknesses.

Lunge either needs to be removed, or put on a long cooldown.

54 Likes

They aren’t really known for their consistency when it comes to Overwatch. I can’t speak for their other games out of experience. They quite often choose to outright eliminate a heroes weakness instead of buff their strengths.

I’m not saying they’re wrong to do so - I just mean they should stop using that excuse if they aren’t going to stick with it.

14 Likes

Why are you expecting blizzard to not contradict themselves?

The intent of excuses isn’t truthfulness, it’s to compel acceptance and pre-empt dissent.

5 Likes

I’d rather they kept lunge and dropped his damage, as well as remove headshots and lower the ammo on storm arrow.

5 Likes
  • relatively long CD
  • often accidentally used while climbing
  • pushes you only a tiny bit of a distance
  • relatively predictable
  • telegraphed movement

So much mobility. So OP.

2 Likes

…This thread wasn’t talking about if it is OP or not though.

I’m saying that Lunge removes one of Hanzos biggest weaknesses, which contradicts Blizzards statements.

His kit is already stupidly overtuned. I’m sure making him less mobile wouldn’t hurt.

15 Likes

I’m still baffled by that addition.

Community: “Scatter arrow is too inconsistent, please do something about it.”
Blizzard: “Okay, we’ll buff every aspect of Hanzo all at once.”

24 Likes

No surprise there. Being a Mercy main really helps me see a lot more contradicting statements.

8 Likes

Weird, when I take on Hanzo with a close range hero I always melt him. Lunge does little to save him.

IMO, Lunge is more of a tool to get around than to escape.

The discussion is about how giving him mobility is contradictory to Blizzard’s balance statements. Therefore Lunge must be seen as mobility. And it… really is not. Therefore it is hardly contradictory. Maybe it is, but to an extremely limited degree. SA remains the real problem.

Fine. Nerf something about Hanzo. He cannot stay like this. He has too many strengths and too little weaknesses.

2 Likes

Blizzard’s statement was:

Thus, it’s possible that they are following the philosophy and felt that the weakness in Hanzo’s lack of mobility was too overbearing or that they felt that he had too many weaknesses compared to their strength.

My guess is that it was more a case of hey look the changes we’ve made aren’t that exciting or unique how can we spice this up and make it a bit more fun. The ability also significantly differentiates bad Hanzo’s from good ones in 1 vs 1’s. I got absolutely stomped in the Hanzo FFA’s on the PTR.

1 Like

Are we talking about hanzo lunge, or mccree roll?

Hanzo wasn’t a buff but a rework. It is not the same. They have changed several heros with reworks in ways heros were intented to work in the first version. That’s understandable as thoose are reworks and not just buff. If you can’t change a hero from the deep then it’s not a rework.

Ok, so this is how dumb I am. I read the title of the thread and I think to myself, “ok… who is this lunge guy and why do people care what he said about game balance?”.

3 Likes

Storm arrows could root/slow hanzo, that way he can’t be mobile and made out of damage at the same time.

1 Like

if 5 seconds is a long CD then why did we have to raise brig CD on her mobility/stun?
If you accidentally use it thats on you.
Pushes you just out of winstons tesla cannon and with his movement speed buff he can infinitely outrun winston.
The last 2 can be said about any movement. GA, Roll, SB, ect ect.

1 Like

Wait, what? You want to balance a powerful ability by adding a weakness? Like Mercy being frozen in place while rezzing?

No way! At least not for Blizzard’s favoured Shimada Bros.

1 Like

Hanzo’s weakness isn’t mobility. He always had a really good mobility passive.

Hanzo’s weakness is having to use a self slowing weapon which shoots gravity affected projectiles, which is easily the hardest form of weapon to use.

1 Like

hanzo has never been immobile. hes had wall climb his entire existance.