Low impact Mercy Rework

I think it might. I like these changes

• I like how #2 gives you the option for preemptive use, or to actually keep someone alive rather than undoing their death. I feel this may increase the skill-ceiling of playing Mercy.
  • I like #3 but that should really have been in the game since they added a cast-timer to rez.
  • I like #4 because then target prioritization matters and there are more things to do while in Valkyrie mode, more decisions to make. I think perhaps the numbers might need to be tweaked slightly to be balanced.
  • I kind of like 5, but would request some additions here… I think maybe if you remove free flight (keep the super-jump ability that Mercy apparently has) and if you remove the uninterruptable regeneration, then there might be room to reduce the cooldown timer on GA by 0.25 or 0.5 seconds… Then suddenly there is a strong incentive to stay mobile, to use GA, as it is one of the primary ways you’ll stay alive during Valkyrie. Combined with #7 I think this will increase the skill-ceiling a bit too…
  • I’ve been advocating for a shorter duration of Valkyrie (#6) for some time. I’ve been saying 5 seconds previously, but considering the other changes you’ve made to Valkyrie I don’t think Valkyrie mode would be such a bore and I’d be fine with 10 or 12 seconds.
  • #7 yes definitely. While I can see how some would dislike taking away the long beams during Valkyrie I do think it forces a more active, in the midst of it, playstyle for Mercy. I think the current Valkyrie provides very few incentives of actually playing actively. It does not prevent it, there just isn’t any reason to. I would like a reason to play actively, and I would like my skill at doing so to be rewarded by surviving and performing role efficiently.

So, if you agree I would add “remove free flight”, “Reduce cooldown on guardian angel during Valkyrie”, and possible “remove uninterruptable regeneration (just regular regeneration)” during valkyrie. I suppose neither of my additions make any significant change, I just personally find Guardian angel a lot more fun than free flight. Free flight just takes away a lot of the need for great positioning, and guardian angel is just so satisfying to use that I’d happily use it more frequently during Valkyrie, especially if it heals a little bit too…

1 Like

Well, removing the longer beam range is a step towards that. If this is combined with removing free flight, and maybe reducing the cooldown timer on GA I think you’ll find a lot of skilled Mercy players zipping around between team members and perhaps even getting into the midst of the fight with her gun knowing she’ll get some burst healing if she has to escape…

An interesting set of changes that could potentially make Mercy more interesting to play as, less of a chore and offer a little more potential impact if used correctly.

I will say that I’ve heard that remove free flight and just significantly lower the CD of GA during Valkyrie idea before and I do like it.

However I do think it is slightly outside of what I’m trying to do with this rework. I’m trying to make her better without “upsetting the apple cart” as it were. Without either wild play style changes or wild numbers changes.

Fully agree with you there. Back when that change first got put on the PTR, I ran into a situation where I wanted to cancel it on my first or second game.

Fair enough. I do like your changes though…

this rework seems, uhm, somewhat familiar to me :slight_smile:

They are somewhat inspired by your changes, our discussion in that thread, and a few extra ideas.

If you want I can edit the initial post to mention that fact. I’m not trying to steal your ideas.
Edit: I’m going to do that anyway, seems like the right thing to do.

no need, just giving you an undue hard time here :slight_smile:

the dodo rework is pieced together from ideas I have heard from others that grew on me over time - they are not mine, and I stated such in the OP :slight_smile:

Too late. It’s up there already :stuck_out_tongue:.

May I assume that you don’t have any strong objections to my additions?

I dont need, want, or deserve credit - the ideas really arent mine, but you should feel free to credit or not credit as you prefer. I was just giving you a undue hard time :slight_smile:

Yep! That is essentially what I was going for.

Perhaps I’m missing something, is the burst heal solely for Mercy, is it for just the target, or is it for both of them?

If it’s just for Mercy I’ve got to say a 15 HP burst heal is… nothing whenever you constantly regenerate 20 HP/s anyway.

It’s for Mercy’s GA target. Rereading that change, that is ambiguous… let me fix the wording there. Edit: Fixed it now.

I was implying keeping Valkyrie in its current state but simply designing it much better. For the brief period where the slow reduction for revive was removed on the PTR I found myself actually wanting to move and use it to get that value.

Infact even doing that might be enough to solve my personal issues with it, at least for now.

1 Like

For the dodo compromise rework v2, I am leaning towards having the rez-on-living-target do some cleansing in addition to some healing.

mmm. I personally am a bit wary of putting cleanse effects on heroes. They’re just very hard to balance because in some matchups they are 100% useless, and in others they are incredibly powerful. Cleansing antinade is no joke, but a cleanse doesn’t do anything at all vs Moira.

I understand it has to be approached conservatively, and thats my intention…but then again, given that I want to keep the cooldown the same for simplicty’s sake, it can be a fairly potent power, even with some of it being healing

Change 1: interesting. Not sure how necessary it is, or if it would be OP (I can’t imagine how it would be, but that’s my point, I don’t know how it would play out). I like the idea though because it capitalizes on a key part of Mercy’s kit and playstyle, rather than try to replace it. (Looking at you, people who want mercy’s heal to require stricter aiming rather than lock-ons). A good Mercy should be prioritizing targets, and zipping between them to save the day, so a small burst on GA isn’t an awful idea.

Change 2: Not really a fan. I like Rez the way it is. The slow is good, the cast time is good, the cooldown is fine. You shouldn’t be able to bring someone back to life without a risk. I don’t think we should be getting rid of Rez, and I don’t think she needs a huge burst heal either.

Change 3: Eh, mixed feelings. I certainly wouldn’t mind being able to cancel Rez, there’s certainly times when I wish I could have done that. But at the same time, like I said before, there needs to be a risk. Having to commit to the Rez is a good way to do that.

Change 4: I really like this. I’ve been seeing this proposal around the forums a lot lately and I think it’s brilliant. I’m not sure whether this is part of your proposal, but I’d like to see a similar change done to her damage boost during Valk. Don’t know what the numbers would be, but I feel like she’d be a little more interesting to Valk with if she had to choose who to prioritize regardless of which beam she was using. Let’s face it, your Lucio isn’t going to benefit from a damage boost nearly as much as your ulting Soldier will. During normal gameplay you’re always trying to figure out who needs you the most, why should Valk be any different? So strong buff on the main heal/damage-boost beam, with weaker chains to everyone else, to ensure that you’re never just sitting there mindlessly holding down mouse buttons.

Change 5: same as change 1. interesting idea, not sure how it’d play out. Not strictly against it, although I’m not sure how necessary it would be if we already buffed the main healing beam in Valk.

Change 6: Valk definitely needs to be more dynamic to be fun, but it also definitely needs to be much shorter in order to justify some of these buffs. I’m glad we’re in agreement there, because some of these changes would be disgusting if we kept Valk at its current duration.

Change 7: Eh, not sure about this one. There’s definitely something to be said about encouraging playing near your teammates, but at the same time you need to be able to put some distance in order to not die from some of the same attacks you’re trying to heal them through.

Side-note: I’m not entirely convinced that her base healing shouldn’t be buffed to 55hps anyway. I don’t think 60 is necessary, but I think 40 might have been too harsh. On most threads I advocate for 55, but most threads don’t include your GA heal proposal, and I’m still not sure how that would effect her overall healing output. It might negate the need for 55, it might not.

One more thing: it’s not in your proposal because you wanted to change Rez entirely (which I’ve already said I’m against), but I wouldn’t mind making Rez instantaneous only during Valk. As I said before, I love the slow down and cast-time for normal gameplay, that’s fine. But I kinda miss the Valkyrie swoop Rez. Having a cast time on Valk is ok for now because the ult lasts for so long, but if we were to cut the duration in half then I think restoring instaRez would be justifiable.

UPDATE: oops, didn’t mean to necro a month old post. Saw it in my feed and thought it was more recent.

I like this idea a lot actually

I think it’d be balanced if just this were added

I think you misinterpreted change #2 a bit.

It’s an either or sort of change. IF you use Resurrect on a dead teammate it functions exactly how it does currently. If you use Resurrect on a living teammate it does that Burst heal + 100 HPs channeled heal.

I’m not removing Resurrect… just giving options.

Edit: Also yeah it is a bit of a necro… but… in my opinion at least it is still a valid thread.