LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

This isnā€™t what this thread is for btw

1 Like

If people keep talking about politics Iā€™ll keep talking about how itā€™s invalid.

Maybe society in general should stop associating gay and trans people with politics. I wonder what else we should try to keep politics out of. May I suggest, everything?

I can already see Sigma getting a poltergeist skin next halloween. seriously, a ghost skin would fit him amazing well.

2 Likes

I canā€™t possibly understand what this is supposed to mean and Iā€™m deeply familiar with these fields due to being an archaeologist.

This is just factually incorrect. Like, thereā€™s nothing more to say on this matter and Iā€™d suggest looking into some peer reviewed scientific papers about the topic.

It literally doesnā€™t matter. Even when a character is based on a real person, theyā€™re still a fictional character and liberties are always taken. Even in stories based on true events.

I donā€™t know why you keep reminding me of this because Iā€™ve expressed the same thing multiple times. Yes, everybody should get their representation regardless of stereotypes, we should only be careful not to show exclusively stereotypes (that are often even outdated; flamboyant gay men from 2010s are not the same as the ones from 1950s).

I mean, thatā€™s literally just your opinion, which is also objectively false. Heā€™s deliberately made to be the opposite of what youā€™d expect, which is valid, because some gay men are like that, especially in the military (which has historically been a haven for gay men). Your idea that heā€™s coded straight is you looking at the world solely through the lens of stereotypes.

He dresses like a soldier, which is equally attractive to any gender. He doesnā€™t act in any specific way and Iā€™m sorry to burst your bubble, but a military fetish is kinda a big deal among gay men.

And nothing was retconned because he launched with a skin that has a quote which has been altered to specifically remove a reference to a man talking women being hot.

Well yeah, as Iā€™ve been saying this whole time. Iā€™m not sure if youā€™re just adding onto what Iā€™m saying to agree or what.

Art has always been controlled, by the artist first and foremost. Art does not come from some divine source and is instantly perfect on first try. Art is changed and shaped by the reality and the world around us and sometimes, art can be morally wrong. There is nothing bad about fixing that. If I accidentally write something that can be seen as racist and someone tells me ā€œThis can be seen as racist,ā€ the right course of action for me is to apologise, fix it and learn for the future; not to argue that my art is sacred as it is and is being censored.

People who think art just pops up randomly and is never questioned, changed or controlled are just not very familiar with art (and not very good at it either).

Not to mention that here weā€™re talking about ā€œcontrolā€ that aims to reduce discrimination and damage to the affected minorities, not some type of control of free speech.

So yeah, if you can only make a gay person act one way in every single one of your story, youā€™re stereotyping gay people and people will voice their dislike of it. That can easily be solved by listening to the criticism and doing better next time, by creating a character thatā€™s not a stereotypical caricature. Otherwise youā€™re not only continuing with the negative ideas, youā€™re also severely lacking in imagination.

I canā€™t wait for the day when I can mention LGBT topics in video games and not be called a ā€œpolitical,ā€ but alas, youā€™re here.

Also I canā€™t wait for the day when LGBT rights wonā€™t be hotly debated by politicians and defined by politics and laws that deny me rights. Until then, unfortunately, my existence will be shaped by the political climate. Though Iā€™m trying to avoid it by seeking relief in fictional content, but then someone shows up to tell me that Iā€™m pushing a political agenda into video games so I donā€™t know, your move I guess?

6 Likes

League of Legends released a card game and this is the closest weā€™ll get to gay men (who arenā€™t dead) in that game/universe. Since Riot is expanding the universe with new games and an animated series, Iā€™m hoping that theyā€™ll be able to do more with LGBT characters.

https://rankedboost.com/legends-of-runeterra/legion-veteran/

1 Like

Iā€™m shocked honestly, considering Riot is 100% owned by Tencent.

1 Like

I mean League isnā€™t completely free of gay. Neeko is lesbian (iirc) and Varus is a demon that uses a gay couple as a power source or whatever. But regardless both of their gayness can easily be edited out. With Varus, he makes absolutely zero references to what is going on in-game, and Neekoā€™s interactions can be just seen as fanservice I guess.

1 Like

Flashbacks to those people in QnA addressing the LGBTQ+ in Blizzcon

1 Like

this is gay and i love it

1 Like

Beliyal, donā€™t bother anymore. Itā€™s not worth it.

5 Likes

It really isnā€™t.

You want representation in media? Great! If you look around, you already have it.

You want political pandering in media? We already have too much of it, by virtue of having any at all.

Overwatch 2 leaks. Sojourn as a hero, Lucio joins Overwatch and has a new design, seems like Reinhardt has some edits as well (do I see a longer beard and a manbun?)

https://imgur.com/a/JDnkvmX

The quality is pretty bad though so canā€™t say for sure.

2 Likes

Where to heck is D.Va

It seems like the image is from early development, Lucioā€™s hair doesnā€™t seem to be posed/animated yet.

Whatā€™s concerning me is that it looks like a mobile game, which I donā€™t want to really be admitting.

I probably wonā€™t be playing, even if itā€™s the best game in decades (which I seriously doubt it will be anyway). Blizzard has lost my trust and if they handle it the same way they did OW then Iā€™ll have to pass. Iā€™m just not interested anymore.

TBH Iā€™m not liking the updated looks weā€™ve seen so far. And it has me anxious about my favorite characters.

2 Likes

I like the added texturing. Sojourn and Lucioā€™s dreads look a bit less cartoony

1 Like

yeah but lucio and sojourn dont lookā€¦finished?

These leaks are suspicious, thereā€™s just something off about it.

Especially the Tracer panel. I canā€™t imagine them suddenly changing Overwatch into a game where you can stat and mod your character. One of the most important part of the appeal is that itā€™s not fully moba-like and that each character is the same, always, which allows for switching and understanding what is possible within the match.

I donā€™t like the idea of Overwatch changing suddenly and including moba-like elements of statting your hero the way you want. It just doesnā€™t fit to me. And the whole concept would totally demolish everything they have set up for OWL. OWL only had two seasons so far and everything is finally in place for the competition to grow, a second game coming out and being so radically different would certainly mess everything up.

I donā€™t know. But these leaks must be coming from somewhere, unless someone is very bored and is making these as a joke.

https://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/27939436/overwatch-2-feature-pve-new-map-hero