LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

So you do have a problem with straight characters.

Yes I do. I hate straight people, especially you. Really, really despise everyone straight. Straight is not okay. I hate straight. Gross breeders get out.

3 Likes

These days itā€™s best to put a ā€œ/sā€ after a sarcastic comment. You have to remember there are people who actually think that way.

1 Like

With the amount of straight characters available to us, I am really not in any hurry to require more, which is the one of the main reasons why Iā€™d like more LGBT characters.

Just to mix things up a little. Kinda gets boring after seeing 7 trillion straight romance stories. Theyā€™re rarely deviating from any tropes, often portraying awful and outdated stereotypes that are insulting to both men and women, straight or otherwise, and Iā€™ve had enough of that since I was 12, when I first noticed that straight characters and straight peopleā€™s stories are just repeated ad nauseam while promoting bad ideas that mostly target and negatively affect women.

Being a young teenage girl and being constantly bombarded with the same types of stories that kept telling me that a woman can never truly be happy and fulfilled until she finds a man, gets married and has children made me feel like a freak and also made me take way too long to figure out my sexuality. Then once I finally understood myself, I started simply getting bored of the same crap being repeated over and over.

Like, write something new and different. Iā€™m begging. Even with straight characters and relationships, thereā€™s more to explore, please, use some imagination media writers.

7 Likes

No matter how many times you tell people why representation and minorities being portrayed in media and entertainment matters, it will always fall into deaf ears and you often get the response akin to ā€˜ā€™ youā€™re wrong, you shouldnā€™t care about representation, you should be fine with just having straight characters, I can personally enjoy characters despite their sexuality and you should too, otherwise you are a loser ā€˜ā€™ which is incredibly aggravating and just plain ignorant.

Recently Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that I am jealous and bitter. Jealous and bitter over the childhood that others had but I didnā€™t. Jealous that I couldnā€™t fully embrace the culturally significant works of entertainment because it was always so heteronormative. And you donā€™t fully acknowledge this when you are a kid, despite it affecting you and your view on the world and yourself. But when you grow up and understand yourself and where you land in the spectrum, you start wanting something more from media than just heteronormativity that doesnā€™t represent or interest you anymore. You acknowledge that things could be done differently, that media could show people like you, but they donā€™t. But you keep on wishing.

I used to play a lot as child, but then I eventually grew out of it. I didnā€™t care about games for a long time until I was recommended Dragon Age: Inquisition. The game blew my mind, I could make my own character and have a gay romance, and I had OPTIONS TOO!? It was completely mindblowing to me, and Dragon Age Inquisition really ignited my interest in games again, that games could be inclusive and see me as a customer. That they could tell stories that would connect and entertain me specifically as a gay man.

Then came Overwatch which also excited me with itā€™s diversity while being a fun shooter game (despite the state of gay representation, gameplay and lore now). Nowadays Iā€™m constantly on the lookout for new games, and E3 is one of my favorite times of the year, I shake with excitement every time. Heck, I even watch those speedrun marathons. Any kind of big event that connects gamers are now really enjoyable, because Iā€™ve witnessed that games can be inclusive and represent even sexual minorities.

I can only hope that the representation continues, and people genuinely want to write more LGBT characters into their games. Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will deliver.

5 Likes

This really hits the nail on the head. And thereā€™s nothing wrong feeling that way because we were all robbed of normal childhoods and growing up like everybody else by our society not understanding our needs and being ignorant (or, worst case scenario, violent).

People might think itā€™s petty because they take that stuff for granted, but while everybody else was encouraged to form relationships and was getting their first experiences in that aspect of life, most of us stayed hidden, confused and often abused. My gay friends openly said to me that they were very young when they started believing they would be forever alone. Thatā€™s pretty depressing stuff for someone whoā€™s 13-14 to think about.

I dodged that bullet by being bi, but the lack of education, understanding and the excessive societal pressure to only pursue men left a different type of a scar where I missed out on things because I was too busy overthinking, being confused and feeling awful and alienated.

Iā€™m glad that things are better now and that thousands of kids like we used to be are growing up in a better environment, but thereā€™s still more work to be done. If for any reason, then for them. I donā€™t want any kid to grow up feeling like we did.

2 Likes

We just donā€™t understand why that matters. There are also plenty of examples of such characters being terrible.

I understand the value of representation. It can be a useful tool for showing how a character from a rarely explored background handles a familiar situation. Unfortunately, itā€™s also become a political statement.

Have you ever watched a Christian movie? Particularly one set in current year? If you havenā€™t let me break it down for you. The main character is almost always a Christian. And he (just about every time) is being subjected to some form of injustice because heā€™s Christian. The solution is always faith in God.

These movies always appeal to Christians who think theyā€™re being persecuted becauseā€¦ well, basically because people are allowed to not live by Christian standards. The non-Christians are always presented as cartoonishly evil, some law is blown way out of proportion, and the entire plot may as well a crap, distopia fan fiction.

Now replace Christianity with LGBT politics and you have a pretty good idea of what LGBT media looks like to the rest of us.

I want to make it clear that Iā€™m not making the argument that LGBT characters will turn the game into propaganda. Thatā€™s as stupid as saying characters with guns make it right wing propaganda. But if an LGBT character is going to be written like the protagonist of a Christian movie, you canā€™t blame people for not liking it.

1 Like

Why are you bringing up politics AGAIN when none of us have talked about politics?

A: You did bring up representation as it is politically defined.

B: Iā€™m talking about why people donā€™t always respond positively to representation characters.

C: Do you at least understand what Iā€™m trying to tell you?

I mean, thatā€™s a poor comparison because Christians are not actually subjected to systemic injustice and are not a minority. They can be subjected to small scale, personal injustice, but not systemic, so their Christian movie power fantasy is not comparable to LGBT issues, which are systemic and target a minority.

And also, why would we want an LGBT character to be written like that? Itā€™s literally in the introductory post for this thread: we want a well written character thatā€™s not defined by their sexuality. We just want a character that happens to be somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. Their story doesnā€™t have to revolve around being LGBT nor do they need to have a storyline where the solution isā€¦ I donā€™t know, being LGBT saves the world?

2 Likes

Letā€™s just say they arenā€™t the only people who donā€™t realize just how good theyā€™ve got it.

Regardless, my point is if a character is written in that way itā€™s gonna suck.

Well, we can agree on that point.

Iā€™ve often expressed my disdain for endless LGBT tragic drama stories that revolve solely around LGBT issues. These stories are important, but it becomes a problem when theyā€™re the only stories available to us.

Which is why we want more representation that has nothing to do with that, in other genres, especially fantasy and SF because us LGBT nerds just want representation in genres that interest us and are tired of being forced to watch only dramas.

Overwatch is a good example, Tracer is a lesbian but sheā€™s not defined by it and her story is not about that. Sheā€™s just a person in a futuristic SF world who happens to be a lesbian. And while I have some criticism for Soldier, heā€™s been handled more or less the same way. Heā€™s just a character who happens to be gay, not a character that is defined by this.

Unfortunately that can send the wrong message about people whoā€™s LGBT attribute is plainly apparent. And can even cause people to look down on people for being ā€œsteriotypicalā€. There are a lot of LGBT people who are criticized (by other LGBT people) for ā€œacting like a [insert slur here]ā€ and not hiding who they are. But thatā€™s an argument that tends to get me in trouble.

This comes down to a question of why a character exist with the qualities they have. Do they have them because they fill a part of the plot and add to the experience? Or do they have an attribute due to external demands?

Take for examples characters brought in to replace a character played by an actor who is departing. Such characters are often forced, underdeveloped, boringā€¦ You pretty much wish they had just not replaced the character at all and just left that space blank.

Please donā€™t do that. Just tell Ā« what it looks like to ME Ā» because thatā€™s only your opinion.

Itā€™s a commonly held opinion. Most people avoid Christian, LGBT, most forms of demographic pandering media like the plague because it sucks.

Would you want to watch a movie about a straight man being persecuted by society because he rejected the advances of a man in a dress? The kind of thing the far right never shuts up about. With cartoonishly unrealistic caricatures of gay people, specifically designed to promote bigotry. Something that panders to people who want to convince themselves they have the moral high ground because theyā€™re the victim. Sound like something you want to watch?

I didnā€™t read your message because the only thing youā€™re looking for in those forum is having the last word. Go back to Twitter or Facebook to share your point of view. Please

That is indeed a problem within the community, among other problems. This problem comes from a clear lack of education and representation, as well our need to be visible to other LGBT people which was crucial before, but isnā€™t too crucial right now. Being able to plainly identify others who are like you is a basic human instinct, and itā€™s stronger amongst people who are classified as minorities in any given society.

This is an issue that will be solved gradually with better representation and more education. Thereā€™s nothing we can do except introduce more varied characters. We need ā€œstereotypicalā€ characters and non-stereotypical characters within the same piece of media, we need different personalities attached to those characters. Basically, the solution is: more diverse LGBT characters. Because yes, some LGBT people are presenting stereotypically and there shouldnā€™t be anything wrong with that. There currently is because this stereotypical presentation has been used for a long time to demonise us so naturally some members of the community are angry when others ā€œperpetuateā€ that stereotype. But ultimately, you canā€™t ban peopleā€™s expression just because it happened to be a negative stereotype at some point in time and was used against us. Again, this will be solved over time with more visibility and more education.

Thatā€™s an interesting question because it only ever arises when it comes to diversity and representation of minorities. Itā€™s because we see ā€œwhite human straight manā€ as a ā€œdefaultā€ human being. Any deviation from this is seen as an outlier that has to be explained. ā€œWhy does this character have to be black?ā€ ā€œWhy does this character have to be female?ā€ ā€œWhy does this character have to be gay?ā€

Truth is, they donā€™t have to. But they donā€™t have to be white, male or straight either, though thatā€™s never questioned because, as Iā€™ve explained, we see that as ā€œdefault.ā€ Attaching any other attribute, especially multiple of them, tends to raise eyebrows and bring accusations of ā€œpanderingā€ and ā€œforced inclusivityā€ even though thatā€™s literally how the world is in reality. Itā€™s those questions that are supposed to showcase the ridiculousness of inclusivity, such as ā€œOh whatā€™s next, a black gay trans Muslim?ā€ as if black gay trans Muslims do not exist in reality.

Like, thereā€™s no explanation in real life why someone is this or that, and someoneā€™s identity shouldnā€™t need this explanation in fiction either. If anything, we should require an explanation when 90% of the cast is white or male because thatā€™s literally not realistic and implies something happened to others who are not present.

People tend to complain about ā€œforced diversityā€ but diversity is the reality of the world. What isnā€™t reality is forced uniformity.

1 Like

Well hereā€™s another possibility. Maybe people act the way they do because thatā€™s who they are. Maybe people who want to be attractive to a certain kind of person will try to make themselves attractive to those people. And maybe thatā€™s a bad thing. Maybe itā€™s ok for gay men to wear tight shirts. Maybe itā€™s ok for lesbians to cut their hair short. For that matter, maybe itā€™s ok for straight women to wear makeup. Maybe itā€™s ok for black people to let their pants sag. Maybe itā€™s ok for Muslims to wear hijabs. Maybe itā€™s ok for people to look however they friggin feel like looking, and anybody who has a problem with it or thinks itā€™s some kind of oppression needs to get over themselves and learn to accept that people are who they are.

spends the next 10 minutes doing breathing exercises so I donā€™t go on another rant where I tell politicals to go kill each other and leave the rest of us alone

And Iā€™m not sure why youā€™re acting like I didnā€™t say this before. Iā€™ll just quote myself here.

Iā€¦ fail to understand what you mean with your paragraph.

Yes, of course some people act the way they do because of who they are. And I have never implied itā€™s inherently bad. Social structures and norms are complicated, stereotypes are a whole study of their own within sociology. Why they exist, how they evolve, when are they bad, when are they harmless.

Iā€™m not sure why youā€™re talking about oppression in regards to how some people act stereotypically. When a real person chooses to ā€œact stereotypically,ā€ thatā€™s their choice as a person with free will.

Fictional characters, however, are not real people with free will. Theyā€™re creations of their authors and they reflect what the author thinks about what theyā€™re presenting or what point they want to make. So if an author only ever represents flamboyant gay men, the viewer has no other option than to think this author sees gay men only as flamboyant and nothing else. And furthermore, depending on how frequent this type of representation is, it can influence society to form an opinion on gay men as flamboyant and nothing else.

Weā€™ve actually seen this with Soldier when people were confused how it wasnā€™t ā€œhintedā€ that Soldier is gay and how it doesnā€™t ā€œfit him as a characterā€ when being gay has nothing to do with it at all. Of course, some gay people are indeed flamboyant and stereotypical and thereā€™s no problem with that. As a matter of fact, I specifically said that the LGBT community has an issue where they sometimes treat ā€œstereotypicalā€ members badly, which is not good because weā€™re imposing on their identity and free will to express themselves as they wish.

But every identity has more than one possible way of expression so authors of fictional characters and creators of pieces of media have to be aware that only portraying stereotypes will have a negative impact overall on their image and on the society. Which brings me back to the point that the solution to this is showing a diverse cast of characters who all behave and look differently. So if you have a flamboyant gay man, you should probably include a gay man who also isnā€™t like that to indicate that the identity of a gay man can take multiple forms and not just the basic stereotype (that has been historically used to oppress gay men to boot).

In the simplest way possible:
Real person acting ā€œstereotypicallyā€ = good as long as this is their own choice and for their own comfort and happiness
Fictional character acting stereotypically = good if there are others who donā€™t act stereotypically, bad if thatā€™s the only way an identity is portrayed in the story

1 Like

Isnā€™t sociology just huggably anthropology?

Anyway, what Iā€™m actually saying is that thereā€™s really no such thing as a stereotype. There are certainly behavioral norms and issues that are more prominent in certain demographics. Most of these are seen or portrayed in a negative light. But most of these arenā€™t negative, and those that are should be treated like problems to be solved.

I suppose thatā€™s one way to see it. But thatā€™s also remarkably reductive. For one thing most characters are based on real people. And weā€™re only shown their response to the events of the story theyā€™re in. And there are plenty of characters who display traits that would be considered stereotypical if they came from a character from another demographic. And letā€™s not forget that flamboyant gays also want to be seen in media. ā€¦and in general.

Letā€™s make one thing clear: This community has an infestation of both kinds of politricals. There are people who are upset about Soldier and Tracer because they are homophobic right wingers. And they deserve to be belittled and ignored for it.

That being said, in the case of Soldier 76, he does not display any signs of being attracted to men. Itā€™s not that heā€™s masculine or reserved. Itā€™s that he dressed and acts in such a way to be attractive to women. Heā€™s coded straight. It looks a lot like Blizz retconed his sexuality for political reasons.

Thatā€™s because identity politics is nonsense and everyone is an individual. There are noticeable trends but everyone finds who they are in their own way. Race, sexuality, religion, hometown, size and other factors shape who people become. But they are still themselves. A gay man being noticeably gay is no more of a problem than a black man being noticeably black. And pretending that these things have nothing to do with who people become is unrealistic.

And this is where the representation argument falls on itā€™s face. Itā€™s at this point that youā€™re trying to control the art. And thatā€™s not ok.