LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Even from that perspective Hammond is an oddball. When metagaming, Hammond is easily the weirdest tank in the game as people do not know whether he should be a main/initiator tank or an off tank, and this makes him difficult to work in comps. He is very powerful when played around properly but he very often feels like the square peg in the team compā€™s round hole. If you run him as a main tank, you have no barrier to play around, and if you run him as an off tank, you donā€™t have much peel at all as Hammond needs to be played very aggressively.

About that in particular. I feel like nobody had anything about Deadlock written down and tried to tie the loose ends together blindfolded.

1 Like

I remember seeing a post about timeline confusion; especially McCreeā€™s Deadlock tattoo. Eekkk I hope they know what theyā€™re doing.

1 Like

No hero this year had extensive lore, and we only got one comic. Whatever vagueness is happening lore-wise is most likely planned because internal changes and preparations. Whatever those changes or preparations are, we donā€™t know.

Moira was absolutely brilliant. She killed a lot of bad Mercy theories, filled in a LOT of gaps when it comes to Reyes turning into Reaper/his abilities, and she was both interesting in design AND personality - plus her gameplay was some of the most balanced post release. Sheā€™s what we needed when we needed it - another main healer with the ability to take care of herself, and a MASSIVE lore drop in terms of how she fit in the narrative and what her story brought to the OW world as a whole and the connections she had with the other heroes.

Ana was very much the same - visually interesting and important to the narrative, and her gameplay was at once unique and also incredibly fun.

We need more heroes like that.

2 Likes

To me, itā€™s just that I can only ever be invested in one thing fully and unconditionally and Overwatch is that thing for me right now. It fits my interests as a fun video game with this specific near future SF-ish genre that allows for a lot of fantasy elements to be explained through science and Iā€™d love if something as popular as OW makes it acceptable to do more representation in the genre without really focusing on making the story specifically about LGBT drama.

Itā€™s the epitome of ā€œHave all of these unique and fun characters from all over the world that are so easy to relate to and get attached to and they all go around doing fun and amazing things and saving the world, oh and also some of them are gay.ā€ Nothing more than that, they just are who they are because thatā€™s how some people are, now letā€™s focus on the fun part.

3 Likes

Youā€™re wrong, people were outraged because how terribly ā€œhaha iā€™m gay lets bangā€ Cortez was shoehorned into the game, right into your face. It was incredibly dumb.

As opposed to how other romances were so shyly implemented?

Theyā€™re all right into your face. Itā€™s not like you had to go through an ordeal to discover that you can romance available female characters as a male Shepard.

The only thing thatā€™s up for criticism is that Cortez wasnā€™t given the proper storyline because it was rushed so the mourning of his husband was kinda downplayed. Also dead husband, not the gay story weā€™ve never seen before, couldā€™ve gone without that. Otherwise, I donā€™t remember any of the romances being exactly hidden from you unless you dig deep.

not deep, but you played atleast half of the game to know your ā€œlove interestā€ and their background, and you waste your whole ME1 game trying to get Taliā€™s interest but youā€™re denied in the end. Compare this to ME3 nonsense, yikes.

If my memory serves me right (and I played the trilogy 4 times), Cortez doesnā€™t initiate his story with ā€œIā€™m gay letā€™s bang.ā€ He initiates it by telling you about his husband who got killed. You have to go through the whole storyline about him taking time off, hanging around on the Citadel and visiting the memorial before you can do anything.

yea, it takes like 10-15 minutes of playtime. Huge investement.

All together, maybe. But itā€™s spread out through the game with mandatory breaks as you only get new interactions after certain missions have been completed.

Iā€™m not saying the game handled it incredibly well, but the game was packed with a lot of stuff already, Cortez was an entirely new character without any prior connections and the romance had to be resolved before the end of the game. Romances that started in ME1 and 2 had more time to breathe due to sequels. Not saying itā€™s an excuse to rush a romance, but Iā€™ve found the complaints to be a gross oversimplification of what actually happened. Iā€™m not a huge fan of how it was done either, but it didnā€™t start with ā€œIā€™m gay, letā€™s bang.ā€

Also, the outrage I was referring to began before the game even came out. I know people complained after as well, but a large portion of whining happened when gay romances were just announced. Nobody couldā€™ve known how well written they wouldā€™ve been, but the complaining happened. Not over writing, but over their existence.

2 Likes

Cortezā€™ story is pretty bad all in all. But this is all just a symptom of not letting gay characters have a bigger influence in the story than just being gay. They did almost nothing with Cortez other than being the gay love interest.

But of course, I donā€™t think this person commenting wants bigger, more important, amazing gay characters you canā€™t skip and shove into the side. I donā€™t know what they are after, really. ā€˜ā€™ Gay guy being shoved into your face ā€˜ā€™ doesnā€™t really give much credence to much.

Heā€™s a side character who drives you around and then gets really upset about his dead husbandā€¦

Whenever someone says a gay character is ā€œshoved in their faceā€ the rest of their argument is meaningless because they donā€™t want to have an intelligent conversation.

4 Likes

I wait for the day where its a mainstream RPG game the main is gay and there isnt alternative straight romances

1 Like

itā€™s amusing that LGBT community has such a low standarts and okay with terribly written, cringy, forced token character.

Sometimes iā€™m reading this forums and all i see is minorities demanding character with main feature being POC or LGBT and thats it :smiley:

Nobody here is asking for terribly written cringy ā€˜ā€™ forced token characters ā€˜ā€™ (as if you knew what a forced token character even means). Point to me one comment that implies we want that. Everyone with brains in the head will automatically want any inclusion of minorities to be done well, and for you to assume that we donā€™t just shows what kind of a person you are.

2 Likes

We have actually stated several times that we do not want tokenism even recently discussing how terribly LGBT characters are written in other games. By your logic of tokenism almost every character has a country of origin thats taken from the real world, is this tokenism too?

We do not just want a box to be ticked. Nobody here does.

We are speculating about characters sexuality (because we have been physically told there is more than Tracer) and wanting them be a good well written representative for the LGBT community. It isnt tokenism. Its a forum to discuss the ways this introduction of a characters sexual/gender identity can be done properly and it is a space away from the people that dont want to hear it and can willfully ignore it.

6 Likes

By the way guys (and by that I do mean guys), happy International Menā€™s Day! Men, we are great!

4 Likes

in this day and age where men are mocked for being emotional, sympathetic, or ā€œunmanlyā€, ironically by the people who regularly complain about masculinity, this does need more support.

3 Likes