LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Well here you go

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/03/trump-attack-lgbt-rights-supreme-court

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/09/12/brazil-jair-bolsonaro-anti-lgbt-violence-fernanda-melchionna/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/uganda-death-penalty-kill-the-gays-homosexuals-lgbt-a9151411.html

https://www.ft.com/content/e815df96-bb8f-11e9-89e2-41e555e96722

https://www.dw.com/en/attacks-on-lgbt-people-increase-in-germany/a-50598761

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/tech/weibo-china-censorship-lgbt-intl/index.html

2 Likes

ā€¦if thatā€™s trueā€¦than that is really sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic_defense

Okay, I misremembered, itā€™s only a defense to lessen the punishment, but the latest case only got 6 months in jail for legit killing a guy.

2 Likes

Soā€¦the thing isā€¦is the table is turning nowā€¦I know alot of people who simply chose to stay quiet now (their voice supressed if you define it) instead of proudly stating they are devout Christianā€™s, keep talk of their kids to a minimum (because itā€™s viewed as flaunting your ā€˜normal easyā€™ life), opposite sex spouse (again viewed.in a negative light) etc. quiet because of fear of being branded as anti gay because they are A. Straight B. Christian C. Have kids with an opposite sex partner.

I have been attacked for sharing pics of my wife and kids on Facebook for a family event during LGBTQ monthā€¦it goes both ways.

One is blind if they think it doesnā€™t.

Yeah, I canā€™t believe this is the reality, and if it is, itā€™s because you had a bad experience once or twice and now think the whole world is against you.

It.
Is.
Not.

1 Like

Isnā€™t this supression, telling someone there really isnā€™t a problem?

Shouldnā€™t happen, period. I donā€™t care if you are straight, bi, square, rectangle, poly, white, black, Christian, Athiest, etc. hate and bigotry has no place. Period

But you said just a few posts ago that bakeries should be allowed to deny customers based on their sexuality? How is that NOT hate or bigotry? It 100% is.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not hate nor bigotry. bakeries would be happy to make any other cake but a wedding cake that goes against their personal beliefs their religious beliefs were they would indeed deem themselves having done something wrong, is not hate. That is watching out for their own conscience. Itā€™s not rooted in hate.

And if you view someoneā€™s personal religious belief as hateful then you donā€™t understand the concept of faith and being devout to their religion and the ā€œone in chargeā€.

You canā€™t make someone do something that goes against their conscience.

That is not hate.

No tables are being turned.

What youā€™re experiencing is just a societal shift that is moving towards equality. However, for someone in a position of power and privilege, moving towards equality can feel like ā€œtables are turning against meā€ because suddenly, you donā€™t have 100% of power, you have 90% then you have 80% and it feels like youā€™re being attacked.

Truth is, you never shouldā€™ve had 100% power to begin with so what is happening is the scales are being evened out to where they shouldā€™ve been from the start. This isnā€™t an attack on you or your lifestyle.

My countryā€™s population declares itself as 90% Catholic. Each day, they claim theyā€™re under attack more and more, despite them being the majority in every single political and social structure in the country. Crucifixes in schools, societal discrimination if you donā€™t put your kids to religious education, everybodyā€™s salary is cut to pay the Church while the Church pays no taxes, 70% of the population voted for our constitution to be changed to include that marriage is only between a man and a woman (this happened 4 years ago, not in the 19th century, just to clarify; luckily, some brave people managed to jump through some hoops so LGBT people have civil partnership available, though it doesnā€™t have the same rights as regular marriage), these people are pushing for anti-abortion laws, anti-LGBT laws. The other day in one of the cities, two American gay tourists were beaten up in a club because they ā€œshowed they were gayā€ and ā€œthis wonā€™t stand in our Catholic society.ā€

These people, who control everything in the country and oppress not only LGBT people, but also people of other faiths and atheists, are claiming theyā€™re under attack because they are, rightfully, being questioned and theyā€™re receiving backlash against their overwhelming dictatorship.

Itā€™s not an attack, itā€™s a move to reach equality and in an equal society, Iā€™m afraid straight white cis Catholics arenā€™t supposed to hold the entire population of the country hostage. If anyone perceives it as an attack, it means they want exactly that; they want 100% power, 100% privilege, 100% pandering of the entire society specifically for them. They donā€™t want equality.

2 Likes

I respect you trying to discuss this productively but it is absolutely rooted in homophobia.

1 Like

ā€œItā€ was referring to the whole cake making thing.

Apologies then.

I guess you could call it homophobia, if fearing for your ā€œeternal life after deathā€ because ā€œGodā€ will view you as supporting sin if you make a wedding cake for a homosexual couple. To a devout christian, asking someone to do that, in their eyes, is like someone twisting your arm to go steal somethingā€¦shopliftā€¦something that to you you know is against the law and not allowed.

Itā€™s not rooted in hate as it is their faith.

See, this is what politics does to people.

ā€œThereā€™s more crime in these parts of a city. Could it be related to poverty, school attendance, organized efforts to subvert law enforcement, or something else? No it must be because thereā€™s just something about black people that makes them more inclined to crime?ā€

This is because politics works by manipulating basic human stupidity and laziness to farm public opinions. Bigots arenā€™t good for much, but they always vote the same way and theyā€™re great for forming angry mobs when you need them. Itā€™s also great for getting people to vote for their own oppressors year after year.

Let me stop myself before I type out a rant that will need multiple post to complete. These things are the result of a system that politicians have been using for generations to maintain their power. They oppress you, and get you to blame it all on ā€œThe Systemā€. You on the left believe the right wing is the system while right wingers blame it on the left.

This is why both the left and write act so much alike, but believe they donā€™t. Even now youā€™re probably getting ready to type something like ā€œWe havenā€™t done anything as bad as them! Theyā€™re way worse.ā€ Just like every political does when I bring this up.

The just of it is, that if you really want to change things, you should be looking into third party candidates. Weā€™ve been electing democrats and republicans for a very long time, and itā€™s not working anymore.

I miss when this thread was half dead and not full of people talking about their views on LGBT people and politics.

I just want gay characters m8. Actually I really donā€™t care much for Overwatch anymore and keep this thread open in my tabs due to it just being a habit. Also nice people.

2 Likes

I want characters I can care about. Sexuality can be a very interesting trait to explore. I personally think a character who received unique abilities as a result of transition could be very interesting.

Unfortunately there are powerful people who want the rest of us to see LGBT as a political situation. Again, if you really want that to stop youā€™re going to gave to vote third party.

Why are you even still here if you donā€™t care about Overwatch anymore? Why do you care what kind of characters they add?

Dude, I already said why Iā€™m still here. Out of habit, and because thereā€™s nice people in here.

I care about new content that could possibly ignite my interest again.

For someone who says they dislike politics, you sure have an awful tendency to constantly talk about politics. Stop it.

2 Likes

It keeps coming up.

So what would bring you back is more LGBT? What if everything else about the character is horrible? Basically, what if they add Batwoman?

And what if the character is freaking amazing?

1 Like

Another amazing character would be great. And they may even create an amazing LGBT character. They may create an amazing straight character as well. Would that bring you back, or does it have to be a gay character? And what if that characterā€™s kit doesnā€™t appeal to you?

No? Why would I care about straight characters when I want gay characters?